Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingtyris

Jackets should allow pawns the same cold resistance as parkas. I shouldn't have to explain why.

FridayBiology

Quote from ( Re: What do you want in alpha 9/10? )
Quote from: GlassDeviant on January 28, 2015, 09:59:29 PM

Minable sand, and sandbags made from sand + cloth.

Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Kagemusha

Quote from: StarBlazer on January 29, 2015, 08:57:54 PM
Hm..not exactly sure whats cheap mostly cause I never developed anything but Muffalo stampede? A few muffalo's got spooked and startled their herd and they head for your colon.
*Chortle*
The perils of that 'y' missing could be a rather painful suggestion

Also when you build a Trade Beacon, a stockpile spawns in its radius automatically just for ease.
I feel that I recall seeing somewhere that that has finally become a thing.

Zachbell264

Hey Tynan. Good work on the game so far, Love it. I'll just shoot some ideas from time to time.

Here's one
How about a way to make it so you can take the roofing off of caves? For instance, say there is about a 20x20 rock. Once mined away, bits and pieces of the roof will collapse, but pieces will remain. Sometimes, a huge cave in happens (this literally killed my entire colony early on). Now i have no problem with the collapse. I have an issue determining when this will happen, or when just the roof collapses, as well as getting rid of that little bit of roof. I tried the No roof zone, but that didn't seem to work. Think you can fix this somehow? If you need anymore clarification for what I am trying to say let me know.

akiceabear

QuoteHow about a way to make it so you can take the roofing off of caves? For instance, say there is about a 20x20 rock. Once mined away, bits and pieces of the roof will collapse, but pieces will remain. Sometimes, a huge cave in happens (this literally killed my entire colony early on). Now i have no problem with the collapse. I have an issue determining when this will happen, or when just the roof collapses, as well as getting rid of that little bit of roof. I tried the No roof zone, but that didn't seem to work. Think you can fix this somehow? If you need anymore clarification for what I am trying to say let me know.

I think the game mechanic is based on the fact that it is more or less impossible to remove the "roof" of a cave - as this implies removing the entire mountain.

TrashMan

Quote from: Kagemusha on January 29, 2015, 10:23:50 PM
Hm..not exactly sure whats cheap mostly cause I never developed anything but Muffalo stampede? A few muffalo's got spooked and startled their herd and they head for your colon.
*Chortle*

Talk about Anal Anihhiliation.

shade88

Backpacks. We need backpacks. Not quite sure if this fits in as a cheap idea, but...

bechtoldn

Two things, one i think it would be interesting to see when raiders come to attack that they try to steal your stuff like food and whatnot that you have lying around. This could add a new threat from the raiders. Secondly, why not add being able to go and attack your enemies homes to the game? If it is a war they want, it is a war they shall get. Go and kill them on their own ground so to speak. 

Chibiabos

Sorry if its previously been suggested but I'm too lazy to read through 109 pages on this thread.  Anyway, CHEAP suggestion:  Allow YOUR colonists to carry a meal with them in addition to whatever else they have or are carrying (whether its a weapon or chunk).  This can be very useful both for trying to deal with raiders that are waiting before attacking or setting up a siege (generally engaging them with your fighters means your fighters will be away from home base for almost a whole day, during which they'll get hungry and cranky from being hungry, but relieving them to go all the way back to base and then bringing them back to the fight is a long absence from the fight and yet the attackers have the advantage because all their guys carry their own food with them) as well as for hauling or mining things far from home base.  Granted, you /can/ do work arounds by, say, setting up a one-tile high-priority stockpile if you have good haulers who aren't too busy to carry food out to your attackers/remove miners/etc., but would be simpler for the player to let them carry their own meals (might be nice if there could be an optional toggle to allow these carried meals to count toward the 'make until you have X' totals the same as if they were in a stockpile zone).  even not knowing programming, I know this would be easy because the code is already there, given visitors already can carry their own meals and it would decrease some tedium and frustration for the player.  It also adds to the notion of there being a home field advantage for defenders, they should not have a supply disadvantage because attackers can carry something around for their own use at the same time they attack or build embattlements, but players can't.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Chibiabos

Also, in case things are getting too easy for the player:  Let siege-building attackers also build turrets to help protect their construction and sieging.  Maybe not quite as simple as allowing colonists to carry food, because I know you'd have to add in AI to figure out optimal placement for turrets, and maybe -- if you really wanted to put the squeeze on (maybe for harder levels) create algorithms for the AI to figure out how to build good 'kill zones' that would prevent the player from sniping their turrets.  Though that would also require they build power generators, so ... maybe too complicated.
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

shade88

Quote from: StarBlazer on January 30, 2015, 08:22:22 PM
Quote from: Kagemusha on January 29, 2015, 10:23:50 PM
*Chortle*

Also when you build a Trade Beacon, a stockpile spawns in its radius automatically just for ease.
I feel that I recall seeing somewhere that that has finally become a thing.
There is a mod for it,but would be nice if it was in the game.
*Looks through the change log* It is.

Evelyn

Viewing the changelog should be mandatory before posting on this thread.

shade88

Quote from: Evelyn on January 31, 2015, 08:57:01 PM
Viewing the changelog should be mandatory before posting on this thread.
Definitely. I've seen way too many recent posts asking for a feature that's already in the changelog.

TheNewTeddy

Not sure if it's been said yet; but take over some of the mods in return for credit and a peppercorn payment (IE $1) to those modmakers willing.
sig

REMworlder

Tynan does that some, but he's careful about feature/scope creep and keeping the coding from getting messy. The current wind turbine in game is based on Haplo's wind turbine mod, for example.