[A12d] Animal Manager UI

Started by gvendhor, January 24, 2016, 11:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvendhor

Animal Manager UI Mod

Download Link

I always had a problem with animals. If i don't watch, suddenly lot of chicken appear in my colony and i have to click individually on all unwanted chicks to slaughter. Or if i tame lot of animals i have to go one by one to animal windowtab to select the zone for the new animals.
This mod helps in these situations. You can set the desired quantity of tamed animals and default zones by races in a new tab.

Features

• Add a new tab to the original animal window to help manage animals by races

• Set default zone: set the zone of all newly tamed/bought/borned animals to her race's default zone.
    • Set desired quantity: set desired quantity of one races, it does nothing if you don't enable auto-tame and salughter
    • Enable auto-slaughter: If enabled, it designates to slaughter the oldest tamed animals of a race if quantity is below the adjusted desired quantity and removes designation if quantity is above the adjusted desired quantity.
    • Enable auto-tame: If enabled, it designates to slaughter the youngest pawns of a race if quantity  is above the adjusted desired quantity and removes designation if quantity is below the adjusted desired quantity.

Now auto-tame/slaughter is based on age, but likely will be changed, and payers will be more control over it. If you don't enable checkbox on desired quantity it does nothing with that race, so you can manage individually animals like dogs. If you enable automatic tame/slaughter, it not just make a designation but also removes it. So if you want tame animals manually you should remove automatic taming. If you set the default zone of a race, it doesn't change the zone of the earlier tamed animals. You should click to apply button to do this. Zone of newly borned animal is no longer set to her mother zone, but instead set to the default zone of the race. If there is interest, i will update my mod with plus feature like hunting and developed user interface.

If you find a bug, or  annoying grammar in the mod please write a post here.

Compatibility

This mod should be work with other mod that not change the animal tab, and should work with older save games. I also tried to make compatible with other mods that change the animal windows. The only mod that i know to change the animal window is the RW EnhancedTabs. The Animal Manager UI mod run with it, but doesn't open the filter dialog on the first tab (RW_EnhanchedTabs animals window).

License

You can freely use my mod in your mod or mod collection, but I like to see where are used in, so please let me know if you use my mod.

You can download my mod from moddb: Download Link

Update: I remove the red message, but i cannot remove the yellow message if i want to make my mod compatible with other mods that change the animal user interface.

krale

This is exactly what I needed! ty for making this mod  :)

sanya02

????

[attachment deleted due to age]

TLHeart

Competing with enhanced tabs by fluffy.

sanya02

only Community Core Librari! No mods!

[attachment deleted due to age]

Kaballah

This mod looks really well done and useful, gonna give it a try :)

Kaballah

Not that it's a really big deal but you have some rubbish included in the zip: ~$info.docx ~WRL3756.tmp

The preview image could probably be saved in a more compressed format, with all the nonessential stuff cropped out, and you might just include whatever's in info.docx (I don't have a reader for that format) in plaintext

Kaballah

Quote from: sanya02 on January 25, 2016, 12:58:09 PM
????

Yeah I have the same problem trying to load this, "Wrong with def.WindowClass" many times upon landing.

gvendhor

Quote from: sanya02 on January 25, 2016, 12:58:09 PM
????

Sorry, i try to figure out what happened. The mod work for me.

Update : I remove the red message, but i cannot the yellow message if i want to make my mod compatible with other mods that change the animal user interface.

Kaballah

Well if it's not fatal, whatever I'll give it another try, thanks for updating!

gvendhor

Quote from: TLHeart on January 25, 2016, 03:38:35 PM
Competing with enhanced tabs by fluffy.

I know his mods and i like those. His tabs definitely looks better than me, but are not exactly the same. I wanted to focus on functionality. My goal was to add the player a tool to manage animals at higher level (not exactly like in Colony Manager).

About Enhanched tabs
I like his tabs, it's useful and looks well, thus i tried to make compatible my mod with his. Unfortunately there is a line in his code, so filter dialog does'nt work with my mod, but windowtabs work well. I'm sure that i still use it it with my mod.

About Colony Manager
Here is indeed a competing, but my approach is that the colony managing is the player's responsibility. Now Fluffy's Colony Manager has more function (not just animals) and tabs look very well, but it needed colonists to manage and i didn't want to this "managing" approach. I started to create my mod before i noticed this mod, then i noticed his mod i thought it's not exactly the same so decided to publish my mod, and it can be used both anyway.

NoImageAvailable

What exactly does the desired quantity setting do? Auto-slaughter random animals if they're over the limit/auto-tame when below? If so, how does it pick which animals to tame/slaughter?

PS You should totally add this to the new mods sticky to make sure it doesn't get buried under existing mod threads, I checked the forums several times yesterday and didn't even see this thread until now.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

gvendhor

Yes, it auto-slaughter if they over desired quantity and auto-tame when below, but you can enable/disable auto taming/auto-slaughter by races, so if you want you can manage huskys like in vanila. Currently it picks based on ages and you can set desired quantity by races. It tames the youngest and slaughter the oldest from the individuals from the given race. It's not the best solution, but i will to change it, so players have more tools to manipulate auto-tame/slaughter.
I will update with these informations the description.

NoImageAvailable

Age based selection does seem like a solid way to do it but one thing I'd suggest is some way of incorporating gender balance. Otherwise you could end up with a situation where you have let's say 6 male muffalo aged 2-5 and 4 females aged 5-8, the limit is set to 10 but I reduce it to 5, now all the females are designated for slaughter and I'm left with only male muffalo.

Then there is of course chicken management to consider too. You can just keep handling those manually but if you're thinking about adding features to this mod in the future, that's the direction I'd be looking at.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

gvendhor

Thanks for the feedbacks  :)
I will probably update my mod soon, so i add gender balance to the mod. I published my mod too early and doesn't tested too much so there are issues with it.