I like it here. A tirbute to the RimWorld OST.

Started by Dr. Z, January 26, 2016, 01:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

I like it here.

Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of Barnstar, our home. When seasons turn, we're gathering in the main hall for a big banquet. It's a tradition that we celebrate survival of the "Planetfall" or, as Maxwell liked to say it: ,,What gravity can do to a human in the most undesirable circumstances." Back then, it was just some barracks build up from a lot of space junk, but we never stopped moving on, and though it was a rough trail, we're finally here.

I miss Maxwell.

In Moon Harvest, we reap the crops from the field and after a year of saving we just blow everything left in the storage at a big party with the whole colony...it's quite funny. Some say we have to save for bad times, but no matter how long you survive on these lands, every day can be your last. Max had to find it out the hard way.

When he followed the traces of a missing alpaca, he managed to run right into a tribal assembly, the holiest of all their traditions, were no outsiders are allowed. They claim Maxwell wanted to spy on their rituals and killed him without a warning. They didn't even handed out his body, but declared war because "his ghost could tell us the secrets of their ancestors". Damn savages, what do we want from their Muffalo shit eating fucking grandparents that they kill our people. It has be thirteen months, THIRTEEN, since we lost our last member! Jovi, poor girl, would've loved to see how big Starscape has grown. She even knows her grave. And now this all happens again, and again it's because of this stupid cave stalkers or however the hell they're calling themselves.

Ceta came back in the morning: ,,Close the Gates! The ice shaman is riding out!" The chaos bringer, he's riding night and day to destroy everything and everyone his chief is pointing at and we have only so much to stop him. We will defend us like we always did. With the Jovian cycle, a tactic named after Jovi, its inventor. Our best snipers will climb the mountains flanking the entry to our colony, and once the enemy has reached the open fields, we fall in their back with our secret weapon: A herd of war elephants trained for mounted combat! I laughed when Jovi told me the idea. I stopped laughing when a group of heavy armored pirates was stomped to the ground in a matter of seconds. Sadly, Jovi's elephant, Starscape's mother, threw her off her bag and ran over her. When Starscape saw her, she nearly killed her guard and claimed Jovi's body, guarding it for three days without sleep. Must be an elephant thing...

Here it comes. At sunset, as prophesied. I can see their torches in the distance, they're holding on towards our entry screen, just as we want it. They heat up the air, it almost looks like a mirage, a mirage of death. "Don't freeze up" they keep telling me. Idiots.

We only have to survive this one last fight, then we can seal the entry with this "Terraformer" Randy is working on...but for now, we're waiting for the sun of a new day, listening to the RimWorld Trailer Music.

---

I recently bought the RimWorld original soundtrack and when I read through the titles, it almost felt like they were telling me a story, so I wrote one.
Prasie the Squirrel!