Tutorial level/ Player bonuses (Game release feature, not neccessary now)

Started by Bloodraven117, January 29, 2016, 02:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodraven117

So i was thinking, "No fog of war, does that mean I'm viewing the settlement forma satellite?" Which got me thinking, "Huh, does that mean I'm on that destroyed ship, as a Ship's custodian or something, and I'm trying to save both myself and the colonists by helping them, and giving them commands so they can make a ship to save me and them?

It helps establish the story with you making a character, choosing a list of backstories and skills that gives you a bonus for your colonists (Similar to how we chose a game AI).

For the tutorial you start off having your pawn come out of cryo sleep and do his duties that just so happens to be things that you can do in game like, "Collect and cook the food" "turn on the comms console and talk to your collegues in engineering" "Research something" and "A mynoc has enterd the room, kill it before it damages the ship!" We can then see the event that causes the transport ship to be damaged/destroyed which would be awesome and would be a valuable story telling mechanic.

The bonuses are reliant on your backstory/skills, fo rexample the ship's custodian gives his colonists a +10% or something in repair and construction. A Ship's Doctor gives the colonist doctors +10% in healing ability or whatever. A Ship's captain/engineer gives his colonists bonuses in researching and constructing ship parts for escape. Ect.

Feel free to leave your toughts or ways this could be improved.

killer117

i think this would be awsome. if u added the ability to upgrade ur custodian and whats left of the ship he's in using some kind of XP points u gain for every action in ur colony. like +10 XP for harvesting plant +100 XP for killing raider +500 XP for killing mechanoid. that would add a huge amount of long term content if he had some super powerful abilitys later down the line that are hugely expensive to get. i think this would truly bring the rimworld story making system up another notch. so cool.
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Bloodraven117

Quote from: killer117 on January 29, 2016, 08:35:43 AM
i think this would be awsome. if u added the ability to upgrade ur custodian and whats left of the ship he's in using some kind of XP points u gain for every action in ur colony. like +10 XP for harvesting plant +100 XP for killing raider +500 XP for killing mechanoid. that would add a huge amount of long term content if he had some super powerful abilitys later down the line that are hugely expensive to get. i think this would truly bring the rimworld story making system up another notch. so cool.

That maybe a bit difficult, but that does sound interesting!

Vagabond

Hello,

First of all, I think it's sad the OP had to put a disclaimer in the subject to prevent people from bashing his/her idea because "g@m3 n0t d0n3 d3wd".

With that said, I like the idea, but I'd like to put forward an alternate explanation: Artificial Intelligence. Cortana, Adromeda, EDI, TARS/CASE. As the AI your job is to provide tactical and management advice.

The tutorial aspect could be you, the AI, trying to get as many survivors of a life support failure to escape pods and on the ground. The continue on the ground with other aspects of gameplay.

The interactive tutorial will be optional, while the storyteller's tutorial advice will be present whether you have the active tutorial turned on or not.

This would also make escape more realistic and logical as instead of trying to completely rebuild a whole new ship, you could be sending modules and components up for the ships AI and auto repair functions to install. Culminating in the ability to leave the planet, organize multiple planetary settlements, bug out of a settlement if it's overwhelmed, and all sorts of other stuff.

Cheers,
Michael

Thane

I like the idea of a human custodian on a barely functioning ship a bit more. Combine that with sending the parts and modules into space to be put together and suddenly the lore makes a lot more sense.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

killer117

The lore may make more sense, and it definetly sounds cool, but what new things does this add to the current gameplay. The starting tutorial, and the fact that u send up ship modules not a whole ship. But do the modules give u bonus's, do u get something in return. Or is this just the thing u do till the ships ready for u to go up and fly away from.

While i love the lore of it, i want it to provide more tactical options for normal rimworld gameplay.
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Thane

Now that would be cool. You have the normal escape modules like new structural beams, engines, escape pods and reactors. You send all these (somewhat cheaper) parts up with booster components.

But then you have to provide for that ship and maybe you can send up some 'Rods from God' as a sort of Ace in the hole against stationary targets. There could also be advanced warning systems (raid information before they enter the map).Maybe a trade beacon to increase the chances of traders visiting.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

killer117

Yeah. U could also do a sensor module to show all ore on the map. Or a wireless information transmitter to act as a fun wifi for your colonists to use as a joy activity.