Request - Animal food

Started by Faythe, January 27, 2016, 11:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faythe

I am currently playing Rimworld using the garden mod, and I find my husky's will stop to eat my stews I have made, instead of eating either hay or animal chow.  I would like a mod that would limit animals from eating cooked meals other than animal chow. Maybe have designations on animals to eat raw, eat simple, eat fine, eat lavish meals.  (Could also use those designations for prisoners as well)

Thriorion

It should be more than just a mod, it should be part of the game! I know your feels! I just play vanilla Rimworld and I get so irritated watching my animals eat my lavish meals (cuz my dogs are unrestricted so they can haul things) instead of hay or some raw food. It's also annoying to see people giving prisoners lavish meals. I run a psycho/organ trader/human butcher compound, prisoners' lives are meaningless, I don't wanna feed them my good stuff lol. I think the UI for it would be really simple. It could either be like the interface for medicine quality selection on pawns, or somewhat like the cooking stove's production page.

Faythe

I know there is a mod for the prisoner meals already. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17184.msg186372#msg186372. But that doesn't help with the animals.

lude

there are mods that add Hay/Silage as well as universal cat food i dunno if they're one or two, but they're in hardcore SK's modpack

Fluffy (l2032)

My Cats! mod adds cat food as well as a feeding bowl.

The cat food is a cheap-ish way to use meat and veggies and create something that is technically meat so animals with a carnivorous diet will eat it. (As will colonists, if they have to, it will give them a bad thought).

The feeding bowl is just a single cell storage building, but considering animals will eat whatever is closest, it helps to spread out a few bowls at key locations to stop cats from going for your lavish meals.

As for a designation thing similar to medical care, that means a change to the way the eating jobDriver works, not sure if that's feasible for a small mod. Might look into it.

Faythe

I guess more what I'm looking for is an option for pets to limit what quality of food they would eat. Like raw only, simple meals, fine meals, lavish meals etc.  I know about the mods for hay/Silage, and the vegetable garden that adds animal chow, but that doesn't stop my dogs and pigs (yes I use pigs to haul with!) from eating my fine or lavish meals when they pass through the fridge to deliver stuff from my gardens.

IkeaSwede

What I do is that I just don't mark my food storage as a place where my animals can go - and then I have a seperate storage for animals

Faythe

Doesn't help for the animals that are used as haulers which have unrestricted range nominally. So that they can go to haul food from your gardens to your fridge and vice versa. I do have a seperate storage for my hay/Animal Chow etc for my farm type animals but what I am requesting is a way to limit food used by animals so that the pets that haul for you don't eat your prepared meals.

Britnoth

Quote from: Faythe on February 07, 2016, 02:24:59 PM
Doesn't help for the animals that are used as haulers which have unrestricted range nominally. So that they can go to haul food from your gardens to your fridge and vice versa. I do have a seperate storage for my hay/Animal Chow etc for my farm type animals but what I am requesting is a way to limit food used by animals so that the pets that haul for you don't eat your prepared meals.

Then stop giving them unrestricted zones. Problem solved.

Restricting them access to cooked meals just stops them hauling cooked meals. Do you harvest crops and immediately drop cooked meals on the ground? No? So this has zero affect on pet hauling.

This mod is not needed as it is perfectly doable with the existing vanilla game.

Toggle

Quote from: Britnoth on February 10, 2016, 08:59:52 AM
Quote from: Faythe on February 07, 2016, 02:24:59 PM

Then stop giving them unrestricted zones. Problem solved.

Restricting them access to cooked meals just stops them hauling cooked meals. Do you harvest crops and immediately drop cooked meals on the ground? No? So this has zero affect on pet hauling.

This mod is not needed as it is perfectly doable with the existing vanilla game.

Except, no mods are needed, at all, if you're using that attitude. The mod wanted here would be more convenient and easier. Mods aren't considered like the normal game, if it's capable but not convenient, that's what mods are for.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Britnoth

Takes me 15 seconds to define an animal area that does not include my meal storage.

Manually setting a meal restriction on each new animal would be no more trouble than selecting their restricted area.

Toggle

That is still an inconvenience, and a valid reason for a mod. What if they are trained to haul? You want them to haul the stuff into the meal storage.

Britnoth

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 11, 2016, 04:55:04 PM
That is still an inconvenience, and a valid reason for a mod. What if they are trained to haul? You want them to haul the stuff into the meal storage.

What possible reason would you have for pets to be hauling meals from one meal storage to another?

Sorry but 15 seconds work a few times a game is hardly 'an inconvenience'. The tool to do this already exists, while the tool to limit colonists or prisoners to a certain meal quality does not. Adding it for all pawns makes sense, but for animals alone really does not, as we can already limit them to what food they consume. *shrug*

Faythe

It is more the fact that my animals used to haul goods are unrestricted thus able to move food into my freezer when it is harvested from the farm areas.  They also move food and item drops from cargo pods where-ever they drop at to the appropriate storage.  The issue I have is that while hauling food into the freezer, which is also where I keep my meals for colonists, they will stop to eat the higher quality food rather than the food that is for animals.  I have a secondary storage where I put my hay, animal chow, and such that does not need to be refrigerated but kept out of the elements in my animal areas individually so they aren't the issue with the food.

The mod I requested is to add another ability to pets to limit what type of food/meals they can eat.  Kinda like if I put all of my colonists to be healed with herbal medicine when I start out they don't touch the medicine that I have stored to make my first hospital bed.  On the same idea having that feature to limit the pets would work with being able to limit what food my wardens will bring prisoners etc etc.

Toggle

Quote from: Britnoth on February 11, 2016, 05:46:20 PM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 11, 2016, 04:55:04 PM

What possible reason would you have for pets to be hauling meals from one meal storage to another?

Sorry but 15 seconds work a few times a game is hardly 'an inconvenience'. The tool to do this already exists, while the tool to limit colonists or prisoners to a certain meal quality does not. Adding it for all pawns makes sense, but for animals alone really does not, as we can already limit them to what food they consume. *shrug*

Could be simply having them haul your farms harvest back to your freezer. You have to go back and select it every time you train a new animal, if you have certain animals being restricted to certain areas it can be annoying. I don't see why you're against this.