A Real Life Mod

Started by Lightning Dragon, January 27, 2016, 02:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightning Dragon

It might be just me but I would like to see a real life mod. This mod would have your colonists interact like any human beings and they could do things that people do IRL. For example, you could have people getting married and having children who after 15 years IG they get to be part of the colony. Stuff like that.

Toggle

A normal game generally takes place in around 1-4 years. 15 years is just a waste of food, you could have hundreds of colonists by then.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Tatte

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on January 27, 2016, 02:57:37 PM
A normal game generally takes place in around 1-4 years. 15 years is just a waste of food, you could have hundreds of colonists by then.

Unless you play like me, farming colony, no raids sotryteller AI, games can last for as long as you want. And getting more colonists can be a pain in the neck. You can't just assume the way you play is how everyone else plays man.
~Tatte~

Toggle

Quote from: Tatte on February 14, 2016, 10:54:45 PM

Unless you play like me, farming colony, no raids sotryteller AI, games can last for as long as you want. And getting more colonists can be a pain in the neck. You can't just assume the way you play is how everyone else plays man.

Except it's not the "Way I play", it's how most people play who isn't using said modded storyteller. If it's a pain in the neck to get more colonists, children will NOT be easier. 15 years of food, x however many babies, to get 1 colonist? You might as well mod it in so slave traders keep trading slaves no matter how many colonists you have. You could also just make the wanderer joining event way more likely to happen. There's any number of solutions to the population problem that doesn't involve the coding required to make children a thing, and to implement them well. Besides the fact too, any normal game can last as the player wants, but there's not that much content to go 20 years in.

Vagabond

Hello,

With the upcoming features in Alpha 13, a list full of things I suggested in the past, and things people vehemently rallied against, why are children not the next logical step? Whether modded or vanilla.

Which brings me to something else I suggested... Wait for it... Wait for it...

Abstract Time Scale + Reproduction

Quote##Time and Aging##

Time: Each day could abstractly represent three months, given real life times on construction and production. The length of a day might need adjusting. A 24 hour clock could have somewhere around 30 seconds to a minute being the length of a game hour. Leasure time would fit in here, basically the way it worked in diggles was when you clicked on a dwarf it had a little clock in the corner with two moveable hands. The hands would be manipulated to decide what hour they start work and what hour they end work. During the time they were off the clock, they would build relationships, eat, sleep, and do little fun things(Added since I first made this suggestion).

Aging: Basically there would be eight age categories, each with interesting aspects. The base time is the standard length of time they are in that age group, the extra day is a "late development" factor. For example: Crawlers have a base time of one day. So they will always be in that stage for at least one day. After that day, the game will "roll" with a 25% chance at a second day. If they get that second day, the third day will be rolled with a 15% chance of them getting it; alternatively it could simply be an RNG, where it will just pick a number from one to three.

Aging could look like this:

Infant
-Infants are unable to do anything; they simply stay swaddled on their mother, which precludes the mother from certain activities.
-Base time, two days. One extra day possible at: 25% chance (Alternative: RNG, 1-2)

Crawler
-Crawlers do nothing but get under other colonist's feet.  X% chance of a dwarf tripping over a crawler when passing.
-Base time, one day. Two extra days possible at: 25/15% chances. (Alternative: RNG, 1-3)

Walker
-Walkers tend to wander off from the home-zone, possibly endangering themselves.
-25% chance to do a light hauling task.
-Base time, five days. Four extra days possible at: 25/20/15/10% chances. (Alternative: RNG 5-9)

Talker
-Talkers talk. A lot. X% chance to distract another Colonist from their task.
-50% chance to do a light hauling task.
-Base time, twelve days. Four extra days possible at: 25/20/15/10% chances. (Alternative: RNG, 12-16)

Helper
-Helpers try to emulate the adults. They can do simple tasks like fetching pails of water.
-Can do a light hauling task, and 25% chance to do a medium hauling task.
-Base time, twenty days. Eight extra days possible at: 50/45/40/35/30/25/20/15% chances. (Alternative: RNG, 20-28)

Worker
-Workers start really helping the colony.
-Can do light/medium hauling tasks, and 50% chance to do a heavy hauling task.
-Leave their parent's home.
-Base time, twenty days. Twelve extra day possible at: 75/70/65/60/55/50/45/40/35/30/25/20% Chances. (Alternative: RNG, 20-32)

Breeder
-Able to marry; Each colonist requires a piece of jewelry. There must be an available Private Quarters with a double bed.
-Married Breeders can have children. Pregnancy lasts 3 days.
-Can do light/medium/heavy hauling tasks.
-Become Elders at two hundred days old.

Elder
-No longer work themselves, but instead "Mentor" other colonists, it increases that colonists skill gain and increases production speed. It is much more effective than the "Aid" feature, which allows two colonists to work on a single task to help a less skilled person benefit from a more skilled worker.
-Has a 75%/50%/25% chance to do a light/medium/heavy hauling task.
-After they are 240 days old, they have an accumulative 5% chance per day to pass away

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 15, 2016, 12:27:13 AM
Quote from: Tatte on February 14, 2016, 10:54:45 PM

Except it's not the "Way I play", it's how most people play who isn't using said modded storyteller. If it's a pain in the neck to get more colonists, children will NOT be easier. 15 years of food, x however many babies, to get 1 colonist? You might as well mod it in so slave traders keep trading slaves no matter how many colonists you have. You could also just make the wanderer joining event way more likely to happen. There's any number of solutions to the population problem that doesn't involve the coding required to make children a thing, and to implement them well. Besides the fact too, any normal game can last as the player wants, but there's not that much content to go 20 years in.
Rimworld is about challenge. Children are a challenge. In the upcoming A13, People will be getting married, and lets say that (Assuming there straight) they want to have kids. You need to approve this or forever have those people suffering a mood debuff of 5-20. Adding to the challenge.

Britnoth

Quote from: Pactrick Willis on February 15, 2016, 10:20:39 PM
You need to approve this or forever have those people suffering a mood debuff of 5-20. Adding to the challenge.

Colonists randomly getting -20 mood debuff for the rest of the game from an event I have zero control over? That isn't challenge, that is frustration. Closely followed by being modded out.  ;)

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: Britnoth on February 16, 2016, 03:39:57 PM
You need to approve this or forever have those people suffering a mood debuff of 5-20. Adding to the challenge.

Colonists randomly getting -20 mood debuff for the rest of the game from an event I have zero control over? That isn't challenge, that is frustration. Closely followed by being modded out.  ;)
Well, you could try to negate that. I'm saying if the game goes on fine and dandy and they stay with there lover. They break up, or the lover dies from a "Accident", than they no longer want children. With a 5% chance that it will just go away each day. 

Axel

Then don't make it give a mood debuff. Let them have the baby and instead give them a buff. This way you're not pushing people into a certain playstyle by penalizing them.

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: Axel on February 16, 2016, 07:55:05 PM

Then don't make it give a mood debuff. Let them have the baby and instead give them a buff. This way you're not pushing people into a certain playstyle by penalizing them.
Ok, But by that logic colonists starving should not have a mood debuff because that forcing them into a certain playstyle. People have sex, and people will make babies. Its a fact as solid as drinking water, or eating food.

Toggle

Rimworld is not, in fact, a game about challenge. It's a storytelling game. It would really be stupid to have colonists suffering that big of a debuff for rest of game because you don't approve them having children. Children may add to rimworld storytelling, but it's honestly sucks as a gameplay mechanic.

If there was any debuffs to refusing children, people would just kill the babies and sell whatever they butcher from it. That temporary dead child debuff would be better then a perm no child debuff.

AllenWL

Quote from: Pactrick Willis on February 16, 2016, 08:08:02 PM
Quote from: Axel on February 16, 2016, 07:55:05 PM

Ok, But by that logic colonists starving should not have a mood debuff because that forcing them into a certain playstyle. People have sex, and people will make babies. Its a fact as solid as drinking water, or eating food.
people having babies and wanting babies are two very different things.
Not having a kid is also very different from starving.
Noone wants to starve. The reason fasting is used in protests and religion is because it's difficult to do, and sometimes dangerous.
Not everyone wants a kid. People don't go into depression because they don't have kids, and not having a kid won't result in any harm to your body.

Also, by your logic, colonists should also not die of malnutrition because that's 'forcing a playstyle', filth should not increase chances of sickness or give debuffs, pain should not give a mood debuff, colonists should all be fine with butchering, eating, and selling people into slavery, cabin fever should not be a thing, joy should be optional, and people shouldn't care about heat, cold, or going around naked.

There's a difference between certain traits/actions giving a debuff in certain conditions for certain reasons
(ex: starving pawns get a debuff. Punishment for neglecting your colonists, motivates you to look for food sources[which can be gotten in various ways], and allows you to notice a starving colonist before they die. Preventable by keeping a stable supply of food),
and random pawns getting randomly getting debuffs, especially if it's something like a -20 mood
(ex:pawns entering a relationship[which cannot be controlled], deciding to get married[which cannot be controlled], and wanting kids[which cannot be controlled] and getting a mood debuff for not being able to. Completely random, cannot be prevented, can only let them have a kid or kill one of the couple to remove).

fat man eat me

Axel

Whoops I apologize. I should have explained myself better. What I meant was that the feature shouldn't be given to us using a stick but rather a carrot. Instead of an outright debuff for saying no give them a buff for a while. That is of course if its implemented.
I have to agree with zombie though that this feature would be a very poor one gameplay wise; however, as a storytelling device it'd definitely be interesting. Definitely a lot of possibilities added to colonist interactions with one another.

Toggle