[Mod Request] Attack Command similar to Harvest or Hunt

Started by ArkonOridan, January 28, 2016, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArkonOridan

Can someone code a mod, that gives me an action command that functions like the Harvest or Chop Wood command, but instead of a normal colonist activity, its one that can only be done by a drafted colonist to attack a group of people?

Let me explain my reasoning. Alot of the times I like to have melee focused colonies, because I think its more fun for my colonists to make their own swords and spears. But Melee warriors don't have any aggression except for someone who tries walking right in front of him. So a command like "Attack" Where I could designate a large number of enemies, and set my warriors off to fight them, would be great!

As it stands now, I have to click each colonist individually, and melee attack an enemy, and then my colonist will just stand there when that guy is dead.

Toggle

You can mouse over a group of them and lead them into a group of enemies. If they're drafted, that'll get your result.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

ArkonOridan

Yes, but once they kill their target, there is still a battle going on around them, and they just stand there. They only attack the ones within range of their weapons.

AllenWL

But won't that make your colonists run out of cover a lot? When going melee, I find cover crucial. I'd rather have them attack one at a time and pause to give new targets every time rather than tell them to target the entire group and have them get their heads shot off while they run around like maniacs.

Britnoth

Quote from: ArkonOridan on January 28, 2016, 10:45:07 AMcan only be done by a drafted colonist to attack a group of people?
As it stands now, I have to click each colonist individually, and melee attack an enemy, and then my colonist will just stand there when that guy is dead.

That is kinda the point. To fight, you draft your pawns and then move them manually. This is what the game is.

The usage of draft is that pawns will NOT go off and do their own thing. That is what we need it for... what if you do not want someone to melee attack? or if you want them to melee attack someone else instead of who they are running towards without your input? or to rescue a downed colonist? or move elsewhere and put out fires? or to go equip a gun and then wait because they just joined and don't yet have one?

You would need an enable/disable toggle. And probably use it just as often as if you were just manually telling them whom to chase after next.

Oh, and if someone goes berzerk, all your pawns will immediately turn around and stab them with whatever melee weapon they have, all without your input. :P

I think this is another instance where the problems created by such a mod would be much, much worse than the short time taken to select several guys, and right click an enemy, then pause the game and do the same when they need another target....

Why would you even want to put so much emphasis in melee combat? Imo melee is to be avoided unless its an absolute last resort, for when everything is already gone to crap and having dismembered dudes is preferred over a wipe, for reasons, or just to put that crazy colonist down. Permanent injuries will turn your best colonist into a sack of potatoes, worth the risk for fun? When things go the losing eyes, fingers, and other interesting appendages way, its already half way to ruin. And it happens way too often. 

AllenWL

Melee is actually pretty useful when used right.
And by 'used right' I don't mean 'Let's send my dude armed with a knife and tribalwear over a hundred meters of open ground to attack that guy with a PDW'
Of course, Melee is a lot trickier to do right than shooting. You can't just pick a spot with good cover and shoot over it. You need to see what the enemy have, where they are, and how you can approach them.

However, I have had my brawlers go into fights and come with somewhat bruised, but completely fine and kicking. In fact, I think my gunners tend to have more wounds and missing digits than my brawlers.