Alpha 13 - New events are gonna be hilarious

Started by RickyMartini, January 28, 2016, 12:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamiks

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on January 29, 2016, 06:34:07 AM
TLDR; gays exist. Stop trying to bury your head in the sand, and deal with it. They're generally nice people.

I don't have any problems with someone being gay or whatsoever (just saying that on the start), but you can't assume someone is nice because he is gay :D

It's like saying "straight people are generally nice people", but sadly, this isn't true.  I feel "gays are generally nice people" thingy is a kind of "good stereotype", if that's a thing :D

I'm not saying gays are generally not nice people, i'm just saying you can't assume someone won't kill you at night and eat your flesh only because he is a gay :D

RawCode

People with relationship to communism invaded colony!

Panzer

Kinda shocked about the intolerance some guys put forward here. I think relationships had to be added, since Rimworld is a colony sim, and they certainly will add some flavour to the gameplay. Same-sex love being added shouldnt even be a topic up for discussion, because it has always been a part of society and will always be, and it is not something you can just "make go away" because you dont like it, lol.

Produno

What? This is a game not a real life simulator. Games are often used as a form of escapeism. Not everyone wants something in a game just because its part of modern society. At least give us an option if we want all our colonists to turn into raving homosexuals :).

Toggle

It's likely the code will make relationships and such based off colonists, not gender specific or anything, which removes unnecessary coding. You're not getting a toggle option for people being gay because you can't deal with it.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Renegade

Zombie makes a good point. Coding actual sexualities into the people of RimWorld is probably a lot harder than just letting everyone randomly form a relationship with whomever they like. This isn't necessarily a "lazy" developement choice, either; it's a decent management of time and resources for the time being.

Worst case scenario: A modder with the same concerns as you will probably figure out a way to either a) prevent same-sex relationships from forming, or b) stop relationships from forming entirely...

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Produno on January 30, 2016, 12:58:27 PM
What? This is a game not a real life simulator. Games are often used as a form of escapeism. Not everyone wants something in a game just because its part of modern society. At least give us an option if we want all our colonists to turn into raving homosexuals :).

Being that this game is inspired in part by Dwarf Fortress it is hardly surprising that relationships are included. All the interactions are a part of what many people like about these games. They really play to a story-telling portion of your mind as well as the logistical portion.

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: Adamiks on January 30, 2016, 06:01:03 AM
Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on January 29, 2016, 06:34:07 AM
TLDR; gays exist. Stop trying to bury your head in the sand, and deal with it. They're generally nice people.

I don't have any problems with someone being gay or whatsoever (just saying that on the start), but you can't assume someone is nice because he is gay :D

It's like saying "straight people are generally nice people", but sadly, this isn't true.  I feel "gays are generally nice people" thingy is a kind of "good stereotype", if that's a thing :D

I'm not saying gays are generally not nice people, i'm just saying you can't assume someone won't kill you at night and eat your flesh only because he is a gay :D
This is kindof the point I was trying to make. Of course there's homosexual arseholes out there (hehe), but they're generally not 'raving homosexuals', won't try to rape you or convert you, and mostly won't eat your babies. They're just people, with all the good and bad that entails.

mumblemumble

Ok i hate having to do this ever but TRIGGER WARNING. don't read my damn post if you are particularly sensative,  i touch on sexuality,  abuse,  and more. This is only to cover my ass.

I do hope there's a slim chance that sexuallity can change over time / trauma,  as this is how it is in reality in my experience. I have never subscribed to the idea that sexuality is "static"  and cannot change,  i know myself personally have transformed several ways among the years,  by having trauma happen,  overcoming it,  and still having residual thoughts from it anyways.  I've also known many men / women whos sexuality flexes from events and recovery,  negative / positive association, family issues, and more... But this comes from a guy who has studied how / why fetishes,  sexual tastes,  and all those work out. It is extremely complex, and effected by significant (or traumatic)  events,  negative / possitive association,  hormone levels, family history, internal stigmas,  and more.  Childhood abuse in particular is a very centric role in many effects as well, as it is in a very impressionable time,  where we formulate a majority of  our "this is how the world is"  mindset, and this expands beyond sexuality and into many other things.

I also sincerely wonder (do not take this the wrong way - not threatening a soul with this)  if  people playing their own game might be heavily criticized for taste in their own colonists ,  and perhaps rejecting certain sexual traits within their colony. I mean rimworld in an abstract way is very provocative and political in a sense,  but i wonder if sjws and "its my game"  mentality collide,  what would the results be? After all mentioning a cannibal camp in casual conversation isn't normal,  but on rimworld it is. One of the reasons i love rimworld... Thought provoking. And just as someone mentioned a gay only colony (good luck on the rng finding that many gay people) I wonder how severe the reaction people would have for rejecting gay prisoners / colonists in a lets play.  Keep in mind -  this is victimless,  and it is their game,  but i suspect the first time anyone kills a prisoner solely based on that,  there will be quite the reaction, despite it being virtual and victimless.

Oh and,  regarding my first comment,  i know it might be a bit provoking especially to those tender to the topic. If someone has questions on this,  feel free to pm me on it,  particularly if it got you heated,  as i want to avoid drama in this thread if possible.  I don't have any hate persay to any group,  but i disagree on many how's and why's,  and i think misconceptions on them only further hurt those who are already hurt.  I also say this as a man who faced abuse,  had abused / abusive family,  several friends for many years whom had fluctuated sexually,  and have fluctuated sexually myself. So im not trying to spout things without thought.

But one thing i know for certain : this is going to be a very hot topic for a while, if not for the entire life of rimworld.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Goldenpotatoes

i don't think tynan expected this when adding what is more or less just character fluff for colonists as part of the social aspect.

literally why.

A Friend

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on January 31, 2016, 10:07:38 AM
i don't think tynan expected this when adding what is more or less just character fluff for colonists as part of the social aspect.

literally why.

It's not about why, it's about WHY NOT?

Well I could list many reasons...

Anyways, I'm totally gonna name my colonists after people I know now... heh...
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Noobshock

Well all things considered it's not such a big deal; I'd gladly butcher the gay colonists to keep cannibals happy, but then again I wouldn't want them to get AIDS or random STDs. I guess the crematorium will do.  8)

User was temp banned for this post.
Ramsis warned you..

Bruxy

My post count is testament to the amount of time I spend here, but since this will be the first patch since I bought the game I figured I'd dive in and see what was going on. What's actually going on is simply further proof that the Internet is full of exactly the same people, regardless of which corner you end up in. Frankly, it's soul-destroying. Three pages of Donald Trump's manifesto with about three genuine mechanics-discussing contributions completely lost in the noise. Keep up the good work, boys and girls.

Anyhoo.

When I first started playing I set up special little jail cells for my captives. I quickly realised that, given everyone would want their own bedroom eventually anyway, it was more efficient to just set a bedroom up as a prisoner room until the New Recruit notification popped up, then switch it over so they could keep the same bed. Now it seems I'll have to revert to my old ways and put a bit more thought into how I set up The SHU; double doors, extra wardens and walls made from more than just wood for a start. Sounds good, though!

Veneke

Quote from: Produno on January 30, 2016, 12:58:27 PM

We, uh, will probably have that option? I can't see any impediment, as the mechanics stand right now, to turn away someone you consider undesirable - or eject someone from your colony for possessing undesirable traits.

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on January 30, 2016, 02:40:45 PM
It's likely the code will make relationships and such based off colonists, not gender specific or anything, which removes unnecessary coding. You're not getting a toggle option for people being gay because you can't deal with it.

According to Tynan's post on Reddit gay is a trait:

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/43351c/ludeon_blog_progress_continues/czf40bu

---

To everyone who's considering such action to be morally objectionable it might be worthwhile thinking about the choices you make in Rimworld.

Personally, for instance, I regularly leave elderly people with frail bodies and a bad back who have just crashed to the planet within walking distance of my colony to bleed out slowly while my colonists look on. I've also been known to capture people and harvest whatever organs I need from them before letting them starve to death. More than once I've euthanized someone (presumably against their will) on account of severe brain trauma...

If anyone thinks that this sort of behaviour is less morally objectionable than refusing to let gay people join your colony then you have a very twisted sense of morality.

mumblemumble

Im glad to hear  it's a trait,  and not just a dice roll if someone fancies x gender or not. It would be weird if everyone was bisexual openly on some level.

.... I wonder if "intolerance"  or "antigay"  would be a trait too. This would be very entertaining,  as people arguing about it here could argue about colonists arguing about it. The hilarity that would happen =)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.