Question to all: have you ever had a bad luck game?

Started by catter, January 28, 2016, 10:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catter

^The question above is not rhetorical so please answer! ^

I, personally, have had games that end short just because of bad luck... One of them was when I played in the oak forests. (There are multiple games like that but... )  So I landed and built up a colony with a jail cell for 5 people with a turret in front of it. I had, I think, 5 people where only 3 of which had guns. Suddenly a raid came in and they were people with melee weapons and personal shields. I got everyone I could Drafted and when they started coming in with, probably, 13 people, and all of my people died.  :'(

I have had other things happen to other games from game borking when mod-making to being naive when it came to ancient dangers...  :o

However, this isn't all about me, what about you guys?   :D

Bastobasto

End of game cause : All my colonist burn because they were a lighing that burn the grass

catter

Here's another one. I have built up a base and suddenly I get attacked by siege, fortunately I had one artillery cannon. They, unfortunately had lots of people with snipers, shotguns, survival rifles and were getting ready fast. The first shot hurt only 3 or 4 of them and by the time I could shoot again they had a artillery cannon too, a flame launcher. I hit it and hurt people around it, but they fired upon my steel base creating a large fire. Most of them went down leaving my base in ruins and the last man there was in shock and also got infections. I watched him slowly die and others wouldn't help him.  That was it, the game was over...  :'(  This was yet another game ending in the first year because of happen-stance.

gilorbert

I once had an entire coliny killed earl game by a pack of angry rabbits. Everytime one would rush out to rescue the recently fallen they would be decended upon by PO'ed bunnies. Eventually all four of them died over time to the elements.
Pretty funny to watch actually.

not_incline

I have 5 colonists with good gear, two of them have shields, btw i like playing in RR challenge. Then a siege came 6 raiders almost all melee with 1 survival rifle and 1 grenades. So i decided to fend them off using all my colonists, it was raining, then after almost annihilating the siegers a freaking flashstorm   
wrecked my crops and damaging some nearby structures too and the rain also freaking stopped. Then for some reason pirate band raids spawned on the middle of my colony so while my injured colonists walking real slow back to the colony almost all of the structures got burned, but still we fended of the raiders but the damage was really big so we got annihilated next raid by 10 tribals. Well randy is sure is a jerk.
there was a boy
he likes this specific toy
imagination

EarthyTurtle

I legitimately had the battle of 5 armies.
-Mechanoid Attack
-Tribal Attack
-Warg Attack
-Raider Siege
-Me... Hiding...
All happened in a period of 3 days, who said Randy wasn't interesting? xD

catter

Quote from: TinnedEpic on February 09, 2016, 08:56:35 AM
-Mechanoid Attack

You know, I had problems with Mechs too. My first game in A10 started kind'a nice, no mad animals and no visible Mech areas. It was, however, too good to last. At some point I ran out of steel and I had to go mine some more steel. After a while of mining on of my guys got an "Ancient Danger" feeling and when I got to his position I saw some slate walling. Being naive, I had my guy dig though the wall, all of a sudden I got a message of "New Area Found" and it was red. I clicked on it as quickly as I could and it said that I opened an old Mech bunker, (or something), and I looked back at my guy and saw, for the firs time, Mechs. I was like "What the heck are those?" then I confirmed the message and sent my guy back to base, and as he ran they followed. The syther was in the lead of the chase and when I got my guy back I had another guy with a survival  rifle,. (because that was all I had besides a pistol and knife), and that guy was killed by the syther. Now I had the last two attack at once. The syther, sadly killed both of them and burned the beds. After that the Centipede finally came and it was game over... :'(      That ended my first encounter with Mechs and my first game!

Bastobasto

New bad luck :
A colonist lose a eye and a hand ( and later a complete arm )  by a doe
Later another one lose a handé.
In plus,the only another colonist was not a doctor.Finally,I stop playing and start crying.

djbarnes

My bad luck tale. Playing on a temperate map where temp is meant to be 10-30 degrees,
Had a "cold snap" event where temp went to -15 for a week or so.
Because I had a cold snap the previous year I was organised, and had heaters in the colonists rooms.
However the next event happens - Solar Flare - which takes out all my power, so my heaters all stopped.
I quickly built a fireplace in the kitchen/dining room and put some of my colonists in there to stop the hypothermia, then the next thing hits:
A raid event - about 10 pirates. I sent all my guys out in the cold to fend off the pirates, most get injured, everyone has hypothermia at this stage. Most colonists are in my hospital area, which had heaters in each cell, but has no power. I think, I just need to ride out the Solar Flare, then next event - eclipse!! All my power was solar/batteries. I didn't have enough metal to build my geothermal power site yet. I lost a colonist, a few toes and fingers, and about 20 chickens to hypothermia that week :(

AllenWL

I somehow feel like a few stories are less 'bad luck' and more 'bad planning'

As for me, in my second month, two mechanoid attacks. In a row. Literally right next to each other. A centipede with a inferno cannon and scyther from the north, right at my meager defense(seven sandbags), two scythers from the south, landing right behind my base where there are no defenses(in my defense, that was a coastline).
I had my three starting colonists and the three starting weapons.

That's four mechanoids against three people, one of which is armed with a knife. It was a epic fight.

*To djbarnes: I recommend clothes to combat cold, rather than heaters. Clothes provide minor protection, don't run out of power, and when made with proper materials by a good tailor, can withstand temperatures below -100°c(parka+toque+button down shirt+pants). And all they need is textiles(about 250 per person) which is cheap and easy to get(mostly)

catter

Quote from: AllenWL on February 17, 2016, 01:36:52 AM
I recommend clothes to combat cold, rather than heaters. Clothes provide minor protection, don't run out of power, and when made with proper materials by a good tailor, can withstand temperatures below -100°c(parka+toque+button down shirt+pants). And all they need is textiles(about 250 per person) which is cheap and easy to get(mostly)

Ummmmmmmmmm :-\ I know that I'm not djbarnes, however I think that is risky depending on what time the cold snap and solar flare happens. This creates a problem of too much in too little time. This can only happen if you give up 1 or 2 of your colonists to hunt the materials down.

AllenWL

Personally, I find just hunting for food generally gives enough leather to outfit everyone in the first few months, and cloth can be easily grown in very large quantities if I can't find animals. If all else fails, you can also buy textiles from a trader. And for most places, a parka is enough to keep warm(or at the very least prevent frostbite), which is about 120 per person. If you eat a lot of meat, that's not really a big amount. I never had to dedicate a colonist to gathering materials to get warm clothes for the winter. To make the clothes? Sure, but to gather the leather? Nah, not really. Unless you get a cold snap in the first three months every game, it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I personally think it's better to have clothes or at least jackets and parkas rather than install heaters and hope I don't run out of power when I need them. Plus, it's easier to try making clothes, then quickly build heaters and campfires if you didn't make it in time, than to make heaters, then try to make clothing in time when you run out of power or something.

Of course, this is just what I recommend. If you think another way is better, by all means, use that way. It's just a suggestion.

Not to say I don't use heaters at all of course, I do keep some rooms heated for animals, crops, and so on. But I find giving people warm clothes to wear really cuts down on the energy needs, and has other benefits as well.

catter

Quote from: AllenWL on February 17, 2016, 09:06:04 PM
Unless you get a cold snap in the first three months every game, it shouldn't be a problem.

Well this is hat this thread is all about, the games that end just because you were trolled by the game.

AllenWL

He said 'because I had a cold snap the previous year' meaning this happened at least a year into the game, which is plenty of time to set up a tailors. Bad luck doesn't always happen in the first five months you know.