Growing food is so slow

Started by JasTheBoyWonder, January 30, 2016, 11:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IkeaSwede

Thing is, you're not supposed to plant potatoes and immediatly be "all set". You still need hunting, at least the first year - and then after that - if you have a really big potatoe field you MIGHT be all set for the year (provided you play on a winter map)

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: IkeaSwede on February 03, 2016, 08:14:19 AM
Thing is, you're not supposed to plant potatoes and immediatly be "all set". You still need hunting, at least the first year - and then after that - if you have a really big potatoe field you MIGHT be all set for the year (provided you play on a winter map)

Correct. If anything food is to easy. If anything it could grow slower and be harder to hunt instead, and perhaps more expensive to buy from Bulk Traders. I only struggle early months on ice sheet (Extreme Cassandra) and might need to eat some human meat a day or two if I get no early Bulk Trader. I think this is more a question about being a new player not prioritizing food the right way yet, because making food easier to obtain would not improve the gameplay the slightest.

Darkhymn

Quote from: BugPowderDust on February 03, 2016, 07:04:27 AM
Quote from: Innese on February 02, 2016, 08:13:50 AM
Don't forget that the growing skill can actually cause a colonist to fail at harvesting the plant, destroying it and giving you no food.

Wouldn't that be the cutting skill, surely?

No, cutting is the skill applied to gathering wild plants. Cultivated ones are growing.

TLHeart

Quote from: BugPowderDust on February 03, 2016, 07:04:27 AM
Quote from: Innese on February 02, 2016, 08:13:50 AM
Don't forget that the growing skill can actually cause a colonist to fail at harvesting the plant, destroying it and giving you no food.

Wouldn't that be the cutting skill, surely?
nope growing skill covers both the planting and harvesting of cultivated crops.

The Cutting skill is for the natural plants you want to force harvest.

skullywag

Its not a skill its a worktype. The skills that govern speed of harvesting also govern speed of cutting down plants.../pedant :p
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?