Curing Infections?

Started by LaserChild9, January 31, 2016, 12:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaserChild9

Is it even possible? A drop pod comes in, I capture the person, they get an infection, they die. A wild animal attacks a colonist, they get an infection, they die. A raider shoots a colonist, they get an infection, they die.  Am I missing something here as I cant seem to grow my colony past 4 because every time I capture someone to try and persuade to join, they get an infection and die.

I tried putting sterile flooring in my prisons to prevent infection... Nope, prisoner gets an infection and dies.

Any tips?

Veneke

It's odd that you're having that much trouble with infections. Usually the infections I've encountered only kill if I leave them untreated.

The answer though is yes: you can cure infections. You need medicine and a doctor. Make sure that you have set the colonist/prisoner to receive at least herbal medicine. Keeping them confined to a sterile room helps, as does keeping them resting in bed (ideally a medical bed). Remember that sterile floor tiles aren't enough, the room has to be cleaned too so make sure that you have someone set to cleaning as a high priority, or select them and manually clean the room (right-click with a colonist selected, prioritize clean dirt).

jzero

or you could just amputate whatever is infected, except for heart, head, body, maybe some other places. In that case...well, i mean, the rest of them is still edible.. soooo. Dinner is served with a side of new clothing
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

skullywag

Also unless your up to medical beds, use a high skill constructor to keep building wooden beds until you get a high quality one, I keep rebuilding all my beds until i get high quality on all of them and gradually over time i end up with all of them superior or above. I have 7 legendary beds in my colony currently the rest are masterwork or excellent.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

kinch_chasm

The quicker you treat someone's wounds the less time an infection has available to take hold. If they're bruised you won't get infections, but with bleeds you might. Get them treated fast, preferably with the best medicine and doctor you have. The other replies are a good guide for this. When playing on a hard difficulty, it might be good to prioritse one individual to treat and exclue your pets for example. Triage can save a colony, although you'll have to live with those who die.

Shurp

Don't forget to use xerigium herbal medicine.  (You don't want to waste a dozen medkits on someone with an infection, but you also don't want to use no medicine at all.)

Tell people with infections to stay in a medical bed.  When you get the alert that they're going crazy, tell them to get up, drink a six pack of beer, and go right back to bed.  Make sure your doctor has doctoring set to #1 priority.

Also, Rimworld's infection system is a bit odd.  Treatment doesn't cure infections.  It just increases the rate of acquiring immunity to the infection.  So you want to treat patients as often as possible to get immunity to 100%.  Then the infection will start to go away.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Darkhymn

Quote from: LaserChild9 on January 31, 2016, 12:40:29 PM
Is it even possible? A drop pod comes in, I capture the person, they get an infection, they die. A wild animal attacks a colonist, they get an infection, they die. A raider shoots a colonist, they get an infection, they die.  Am I missing something here as I cant seem to grow my colony past 4 because every time I capture someone to try and persuade to join, they get an infection and die.

I tried putting sterile flooring in my prisons to prevent infection... Nope, prisoner gets an infection and dies.

Any tips?

The sterile floor might help (I use it but I don't know what effect it has), hospital beds improve immunity forming as well as the vitals monitors. Make sure there is plenty of xerigium for the treatments and that your doctors are treating as soon as it's time, and most infections should be very survivable.

_Shadowcat_

Quote from: Darkhymn on February 02, 2016, 11:33:40 AM
Quote from: LaserChild9 on January 31, 2016, 12:40:29 PM

Any tips?

The sterile floor might help (I use it but I don't know what effect it has), hospital beds improve immunity forming as well as the vitals monitors. Make sure there is plenty of xerigium for the treatments and that your doctors are treating as soon as it's time, and most infections should be very survivable.

Sterile floors allow a rooms 'cleanliness' factor to go above 0 to 'sterile' basically sterile floors + cleaning any dirt massively helps reduce infections and speed up healing.

Infections should go away over time, they take multiple treatments with some kind of medicine. If you really want to prevent outbreaks make individual prision hospital rooms with hospital beds + vitals monitor + sterile floors + continuous cleaning of any dirt. Just upgrading my base hospital with sterile floors dropped infections by like 50%