Story Ideas

Started by JimmyAgnt007, February 02, 2016, 03:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyAgnt007

Ive been thinking of doing a comical story but not a comic strip.  However Ive been having a hard time thinking of a central plot (re: writers block).  So what are some ideas you wonderful people would like to see.  Maybe some specific types of characters or settings.  Id like to avoid a RIMworld specific story or anything else based of others IP.  Other than that Im pretty open though I do prefer science fiction over fantasy.

Any ideas?

Bastobasto

Only one world for answering this question : nutella

JimmyAgnt007

dont think ive ever tried it.  but whats that got to do with story ideas?

StorymasterQ

Expanding from basto's suggestion: Swamp Thing, but Nutella.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

A Friend

Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:02:36 PM
Expanding from basto's suggestion: Swamp Thing, but Nutella.

Nutella Man,
In a world deprived of chocolate...

Idk, Maybe a survival story but it's a bunch of people wanting to eat the chocolate man.

Edit: This sounds more like horror than comedy though.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

StorymasterQ

Quote from: A Friend on February 02, 2016, 08:47:39 PM
...a bunch of people wanting to eat the chocolate man.

This makes "Once you go black..." a whole lot more horrible. It could be the tagline for the story!
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

JimmyAgnt007

Aside from Nutella being a trademarked name Im not quite shooting for that ridiculous.  Id rather something serious and making it ridiculous.   

A setting idea i had is a world like 'Deponia' covered in scrap and junk tech.  No natural resources, just garbage, something like that can use sci-fi without needing hard physics.

StorymasterQ

Hmm, what about Septerra Core? A setting like that may be a good fit.

jzero

how about the story focuses around two factions (tribes? i dunno) in the planet of trash. Warring over what scraps they can get from the shipments of garbage from faraway planets. Ignorant of all outside distractions other than the thash that surrounds them. But then one day a ship crashes there from a modern planet, ya know shakin' their whole outlooks up. insert interesting characters and a meaningful plot of character development and realization of their being things greater than ourselves and you're done.
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

JimmyAgnt007

Well I like where this is going.  Though i think id like the whole story to be a bit ridiculous.  Like the main characters never take things seriously or maybe just the main one.  I want something people can read and get a laugh from it every step of the way.

I did a little Fallout story, like this http://jimmyagent007.deviantart.com/art/Fallout-Overseer-Vault-666-549524170 for fun.  I love doing a casual disregard for normal behavior.

Bastobasto

Call michael bay,he could help you.

For a history,you could do some slave the escape a slave seller.
( I dont have any good idea )

jzero

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on February 09, 2016, 09:36:50 AM
Well I like where this is going.  Though i think id like the whole story to be a bit ridiculous.  Like the main characters never take things seriously or maybe just the main one.  I want something people can read and get a laugh from it every step of the way.

I did a little Fallout story, like this http://jimmyagent007.deviantart.com/art/Fallout-Overseer-Vault-666-549524170 for fun.  I love doing a casual disregard for normal behavior.

Touche.

From reading *most* of you other works i can guess that you want a character to be a homicidal phycopath. So why not have one (or more) of the members o the crashed crew just want to kill all the natives and take their stuff to build a new ship?. By fleshing that out a bit i'm sure you could get a little somethin' going

JimmyAgnt007

I had an idea for something between a story and a comic.  A picture of someone working in a call center, cubicle,, headset, very dilbert like in style.  Then overlay the phone conversation on top.  Im thinking of calling it All Purpose Support.  people call in with some kind of problem and he 'helps' them.  then id let readers comment what kind of problems people could be calling in with.

OR

I made a post about TV in RW and being able to make shows and such.  What if i did a story about some colonists who try to film things on the RW.  Total disregard for the subjects being filmed in favor of getting 'ratings'. 

jzero

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on February 11, 2016, 12:07:30 PM
I had an idea for something between a story and a comic.  A picture of someone working in a call center, cubicle,, headset, very dilbert like in style.  Then overlay the phone conversation on top.  Im thinking of calling it All Purpose Support.  people call in with some kind of problem and he 'helps' them.  then id let readers comment what kind of problems people could be calling in with.

OR

I made a post about TV in RW and being able to make shows and such.  What if i did a story about some colonists who try to film things on the RW.  Total disregard for the subjects being filmed in favor of getting 'ratings'. 

+1

sounds like a good read. Both of em

JimmyAgnt007

I think ive got more inspiration for the RWTV idea right now, i already posted the first bit.  feel free to let me know what you think.