[Mod Request] Order "Smooth Walls"

Started by Beanie, December 29, 2014, 10:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beanie

As you can smooth floors in Alpha 8 + it's strange to me why you can't smooth walls also. This should give a higher beauty bonus as well as looking smooth, as opposed to the "rough hewn" rock walls which are left when you mine out rock. The time it should take to smooth a wall tile should be similar to that it takes to smooth a floor tile.
I'd love to see this as a mod. So thanks in advance if you decide to take this on.

lude

Quote from: Beanie on December 29, 2014, 10:26:27 AM
As you can smooth floors in Alpha 8 + it's strange to me why you can't smooth walls also. This should give a higher beauty bonus as well as looking smooth, as opposed to the "rough hewn" rock walls which are left when you mine out rock. The time it should take to smooth a wall tile should be similar to that it takes to smooth a floor tile.
I'd love to see this as a mod. So thanks in advance if you decide to take this on.
seconded, as well as chiseling art into smoothed walls or floors :3

Noobshock

Yes, it's kind of annoying having to knock down all that dirt and make proper walls 100% of the time rather than having an option to smooth the walls if you don't want it to look like crap. Proper tunnel bases ftw. It already makes running power a big mess as a downside, no need to force mountain walls to stay ugly.

john pretzel

Quote from: lude on December 30, 2014, 08:41:47 AM
seconded, as well as chiseling art into smoothed walls or floors :3

Kind of a great idea, wall art, like in stone age. It's also a content that appears in many survival tv shows and movies - on moments where the expedition finds the shelter and knows what life was like through the drawings.. it fits this game well..

Beanie

I'm not sure about carving art into the walls themselves, but smoothing the walls should possible. The smooth floor order helps, but if you really want a crisp looking interior, you have to build new walls entirely. This seems impractical and unnecessary.

Professor Cupcake

+1

Doesn't make sense having to knock down a wall, then haul the chunks over to a stonecutting table to be processed, then having to rebuild the wall, especially when we can already smooth floors so easily.

john pretzel

About the wall art,

I always felt something is missing or left to be done when leaving the colony. I look at my base for the last time, paning the mouse, and thought - there should be some history recorded here for anyone who finds this.. It plays with our imagination  :)

Copeteles

StorymasterQ

Be careful with wall art. It's only one typo away from wallmart, and we don't want any of that in Rimworld :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Temeez

+1

This should be a vanilla feature. It would make mountain base building a lot less tedious!

john pretzel

Quote from: StorymasterQ on January 05, 2015, 12:34:26 AM
Be careful with wall art. It's only one typo away from wallmart, and we don't want any of that in Rimworld :D

good analogy!  ;D

Beanie

If anyone wants to give this a try, that would be awesome. If not, a link to some tutorials for complete a simpleton beginner like me would be appreciated.

lude

I want to revive this topic and request

Fluffy (l2032)

It's been done by E, I think, look for the ESM (E's small mods) thread in releases

lude

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on February 03, 2016, 09:48:01 AM
It's been done by E, I think, look for the ESM (E's small mods) thread in releases

Sweet thanks, there's even a few other nice mods, this will go well with my artsy columns as roof support addon :D

I hope it'll be easy to replicate that behaviour for a second set of more artsy smooth wall/smooth floor (tho just higher beauty would probably be less of an overkill, when I think of good constructors in DF2)