Started by Shurp, February 05, 2016, 11:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

I want to know how this happened:

Torso:            Surgical cut
Left shoulder: Simple prosthetic arm
Left kidney:    Surgical cut
Pelvis:            Surgical cut

Did my doc decide to take a bit of the Nitrous before replacing someone's arm?  Or is his aim really so bad that he missed the arm and slashed the kidney and pelvis instead?

Either way I'm revoking his medical license as soon as he get's back to civilization... :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

jzero

My theory is that they take a few practice swings like golf and then close their eyes and stab
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Grimandevil

havent had any surgical incidents in ages, at least with 12+ medics.
there is a trick, how u can boost someones med skill in short time: give him a small caliber weapon or a shotgun and go shooting large animals. once downed, place animal bed near and have it bandaged (u can shoot it more after that, untill its dead, then harvest the meat)

works with prisoners too..
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Cazakatari

My passive method of leveling doctors is having a tiny prison room where i make 1 or 2 prisoners very unhappy by not interacting at all with them, so they'll get in fist fights pretty much every day.  Doctors treat them and I don't even have to pay attention other than to make sure no one dies :P

jzero

*gasps* maybe if you have two doctors they have a competition to see who can complete a surgery blindfolded the fastest!
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

SpaceDrunk

Ectoplasm

It's a little known fact that Dr Nick wrote the book Surgery for Dummies that colonists study from.

Shurp

Oh My God, well this takes the cake:

Right eye    Removed (fresh)
Left arm      Surgical cut
Stomach     Surgical cut
Right leg     Surgical cut
Left leg       Peg leg

I'm sorry, but if a doctor manages to cut out a patient's eye, and slash his stomach, arm, and leg, while installing a prosthetic leg... I really want to know what he was smoking.  Yow.

Could we please have some sanity in the medical failure code?  I can see maybe accidentally slashing his genitals or intestines as you hook up his hip...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

erdrik

Can you post your doctors skill level, and health stats?

Ive got 3 docs in my colony and have done at least 4 different operations without any trouble at all.
I would like to know if my success is just a measure of lucky rolls or if maybe something is impeding your doc's success...

RoboticManiac

Quote from: erdrik on March 18, 2016, 12:34:11 AM
Can you post your doctors skill level, and health stats?

Ive got 3 docs in my colony and have done at least 4 different operations without any trouble at all.
I would like to know if my success is just a measure of lucky rolls or if maybe something is impeding your doc's success...
Truth be told, I've never had a single failed surgery in all my time of playing rimworld. I typically use Doctors with a skill of 5 or more. Sometimes 2-3 if the colony is failing and everyone is dying.

Mikhail Reign

Yeah but the issue isn't how often you experience it, it does happen. The issue is that the mistakes have no logic to them. I had someone try and remove a frostbitten toe once, and 'accidentally' removed an eye and finger and also cut their heart. That makes no sense at all - how do you cut a heart working on a foot? Like just to gain access to the heart is a whole other operation. If they cut up the patents other toes, or even removed the whole foot (hes a bleeder! Hand me that axe!) THAT makes sense. I feel the surgery errors should be limited to the areas around the intended operation, or opposite body part (eg: left leg instead of right).

giannikampa

I explain with accidents: maybe the doctor pushed the bed while turning and the patient felt to the groud and there was a knife on the floor and he went with his eye on it and the bed crushed on his chest and an acuminated part pierced his heart. These things happen in the rim so often!
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Shurp

Thank you giannikampa, that at least makes some sense.

Hmmm, that just led me to consider another possibility.  Clearly there's a lot of anaesthesia in these medkits.  So if the "accident" is that it gets released, flooding the hospital room with nitrous oxide, and my skill level 12 doctor suddenly gets high and waves his scalpel like a baton in rhythm with some music only he can hear...

mumblemumble

Yeah,  they really need a localized failure area per option. Actually, if they did that,  it would be a step towards fallout 2 style organ targeting in combat too.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.