[Mod Request] Immigration Waves.

Started by Pactrick Willis, February 14, 2016, 05:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pactrick Willis

Immigration, Without colonist reproduction, making a town is quite hard. Even with modified storytellers, you only get one person at a time. I would like to see a mod that adds one event, immigration. In essence, it would just be a event where 3-10 people join, however, this could be modified to where they come from other factions. Lets people are unhappy in there faction, they leave to yours, damaging your relation with that faction. However, if your an ally with that faction you can turn them away or even capture them and turn them back to the faction. With no and positive affects with your relationship with that faction. You could also spread rumors and try to get people to migrate by talking to visitors, or sending one of your colonists out to bring people back. If you are an good ally of that faction, you could phone and request for them to send people. All in all, If someone could just make the basic event it would make me happy. Thanks.

Britnoth

Quote from: Pactrick Willis on February 14, 2016, 05:20:44 PM
Without colonist reproduction, making a town is quite hard.

First of all, colonist reproduction would have zero affect on population size for 99% of even the longest games. Only if the game was into its, 20th, 25th, or 30th years would colonnists having kids have any noticable affect. The game just isnt designed to last that long. Personally I think the game should become increasingly difficult past 2.

Second. Increasing population is pretty easy. Myself I have reached 14 colonists around day 60 on Cassandra extreme. Randy has much higher soft and hard pop caps, making it even easier.

Third. Up to 10 people joining at a time.. breaks the game progression. Raids are not scaled very well with number of colonists; it is mostly based on colony wealth. Having a few months old colony with 20+ people in it while still facing raids of 10-15 enemies is.....  :-\

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: Britnoth on February 14, 2016, 06:15:59 PM

First of all, colonist reproduction would have zero affect on population size for 99% of even the longest games. Only if the game was into its, 20th, 25th, or 30th years would colonists
Exactly. That is why I'm asking for this, As even if it was implemented, it would have to affect. I think you misunderstood me.

Second. Point, but it is harder on lower difficulty.

Third. You are right, raids are not scaled well, however... If you are correct in saying that raids are scaled with colonist wealth, Than if you have 20+ people and not enough wealth to match, you're going to have problems. You probably have next to nothing in weapons, whereas you are facing pirates/tribals who have (In the case of pirates) more advance weaponry or (in the case of tribal's) better skills, you're going to be annihilated.

I'm asking for a mod that adds immigration because of realism. New settlements usually got waves of people looking for work or food. 

Tatte

Quote from: Britnoth on February 14, 2016, 06:15:59 PM

First of all, colonist reproduction would have zero affect on population size for 99% of even the longest games. Only if the game was into its, 20th, 25th, or 30th years would colonnists having kids have any noticable affect. The game just isnt designed to last that long. Personally I think the game should become increasingly difficult past 2.

Second. Increasing population is pretty easy. Myself I have reached 14 colonists around day 60 on Cassandra extreme. Randy has much higher soft and hard pop caps, making it even easier.

Third. Up to 10 people joining at a time.. breaks the game progression. Raids are not scaled very well with number of colonists; it is mostly based on colony wealth. Having a few months old colony with 20+ people in it while still facing raids of 10-15 enemies is.....  :-\

I dunno about you, but personally I can have games that run for almost as long as that, no raid storyteller Ai,farming colony, I love it. Kids would be awesome, but so would about 20 people immigrating at once, need more farm hands. You have to think about people like me who love doing that.
~Tatte~

Toggle

But really, you might as well as godmode spawn in colonists with dev mode tatte. That's basically the immigration wave. Kids are a useless waste too.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 15, 2016, 12:38:47 PM
But really, you might as well as godmode spawn in colonists with dev mode tatte. That's basically the immigration wave. Kids are a useless waste too.
Yeah, but it feels a tad bit cheaty to do that. I want to be able to not feel guilt and just have the game do it for me. 

Toggle

Quote from: Pactrick Willis on February 15, 2016, 02:29:05 PM
Yeah, but it feels a tad bit cheaty to do that. I want to be able to not feel guilt and just have the game do it for me.
It's cheaty to have that many colonists even spontaneously appear though. Really, it should be 2-4, maybe 2-3, that give a message and say something along the lines of 'We were exiled from our previous colonies for our views, we wish to join you' and the option to keep them or give them away. It really would be best if it was only for that specific storyteller, so the responsibility of the original modder of said storyteller, it would be cheaty in any other one.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 15, 2016, 03:57:46 PM
Quote from: Pactrick Willis on February 15, 2016, 02:29:05 PM
It's cheaty to have that many colonists even spontaneously appear though. Really, it should be 2-4, maybe 2-3, that give a message and say something along the lines of 'We were exiled from our previous colonies for our views, we wish to join you' and the option to keep them or give them away. It really would be best if it was only for that specific storyteller, so the responsibility of the original modder of said storyteller, it would be cheaty in any other one.
Yeah, that would actually be the best way to do it.

This is not such a bad idea for players who rather play the farming matagame, but like to have an easy-ish fight happening occasionally, and it would sort of bring some sort of challenge and decision making obligations when those immigrants arrived, such sorting through traits, skills, and creating the infrastructure to accommodate new recruits, the morality hit of turning them away because they suck. 
If this being done through a new storyteller, there could be a new event "immigrant revenge!". The number of immigrants on each wave defined by the storyteller's difficulty, from say, 1-2 on easy to 10ish on extreme. All immigrants turned away because of crappy traits/skills would be exit the map and be added to a pool, and a raid would be later generated with that pool. It would never be as hard as regular raids, but just as numerous.
Maybe this would definitely appeal to players that like to play RW but dont like hard combat and chaos, just the simulation part of it, the metagame of making important social decisions, but with the consequences.
I'd definitely play it for a change from extreme chaos, carnage, blood, guts and cannibalism.