[Feature Change] Incapable of. . .

Started by Vagabond, February 15, 2016, 02:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vagabond

Hello,

I propose we differentiate a character's refusal to do certain tasks and character's dislike of certain tasks for backgrounds.

Incapable of: The character, for whatever reason, refuses to do a certain kind of work.

Dislikes: The character is capable of doing the task, but receives a penalty to mood, work speed, and skill gain for that task.

Examples:

Character A has pyrophobia, they are incapable of firefighting.

Character B is a snobby yuppie, they dislike manual labor.

Character C has severe asthma, they are incapable of pretty much anything where they move.

Character D has aspergers, they "dislike" caring and social.

Cheers,
Michael

Toggle

Charles Brandon, the sole survivor of the Alahack Colony, cries as he fights off the crowd of wargs, advancing with a snarl at every chance they get, even as the turrets blare, their bullets having little effect at slowing them down. Charles fires a shot a body, perfectly downing a warg each time, for his skill at the craft is great, even if his reluctance is even greater.

So yeah, it would have to give negatives any time they do the task.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Vagabond

Zombie2,

Precisely what I am getting at. The work speed and skill gain penalty are ever constant, but the mood debuff stacks each time they do the task associated to the dislike.

Cheers,
Michael

Toggle

Sounds like a good idea. Whether it should be added or not is pretty much up to Tynan and the finer details, but seems good.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Bruxy

As a minor addendum to this, could I also suggest (if it hasn't been already) some form of check against professions and restrictions when characters are generated? I had a fleeing prisoner join my colony over the weekend with an adult profession of Conceptual Artist (+8 Art) but a childhood profession of (I think) Scout which turned off Art as an activity, amongst various other things.

The guy was essentially useless, which was annoying from a gameplay perspective, but even if you looked purely at the concept/roleplay side you've got to wonder how someone who can't do art ever managed a successful career as an artist...

Boston

Quote from: Bruxy on February 17, 2016, 08:04:50 AM
As a minor addendum to this, could I also suggest (if it hasn't been already) some form of check against professions and restrictions when characters are generated? I had a fleeing prisoner join my colony over the weekend with an adult profession of Conceptual Artist (+8 Art) but a childhood profession of (I think) Scout which turned off Art as an activity, amongst various other things.

The guy was essentially useless, which was annoying from a gameplay perspective, but even if you looked purely at the concept/roleplay side you've got to wonder how someone who can't do art ever managed a successful career as an artist...

Yeah, the whole childhood/adult career impossibilities thing is .... weird.

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: Bruxy on February 17, 2016, 08:04:50 AM
you've got to wonder how someone who can't do art ever managed a successful career as an artist...

Insert comment about random actor/singer/musician/painter here.  Simply put, its been done.

mumblemumble

Definitely support this,  i always hated how certain people simply cannot attempt things.  Id much rather a pacifist slowly start cracking when trying to fight,  nobles getting incredibly pissed at having to haul,  and  other effects. Would be much more interesting that way,  having more options,  but severe downsides.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

That's why I only buy slaves, 1 in 20 escape pods are rescued and never accept the random guy who phones in being chased.  The random wanderer joins are sometimes kept, usually sold as slaves.

Can't have useless people wasting precious resources.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.