Bitter irony and the fourth wall

Started by Bruxy, February 17, 2016, 07:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruxy

I thought I'd share a slightly depressing yet, hopefully, darkly-humorous story of the time Rimworld crossed into my real world and made me question my personal morals. Let's make things clear up front though - I'm not after sympathy here so don't feel the need to give me any!

In late November my dad crashed his motorbike, crushing his spine. He'll never walk again. I went to see him in hospital where he lay in an induced coma and I whispered in his ear: "You pain in the arse; I'd bought you some new running shoes for Christmas."

A few days later I'm playing Rimworld and a raid comes in. I manage to take a couple of prisoners who all heal up nicely, apart from one from hadn't left his bed after four days. On closer inspection I saw why: "Spine: Shattered. Movement: None". Now I'd only had RW for a month or so but this was the first time I'd seen such an injury and I had to chuckle at the timing. I was also stuck on exactly what to do next with the guy.

I couldn't release him because obviously he couldn't walk himself off the map. I briefly considered fitting two bionic legs to see if that worked, but rather than experiment (or ask here) I just kind of assumed that logically it wouldn't so I didn't bother. Someone by all means confirm for me if they know.

Then I realised that wheelchairs would be a very useful thing in this situation so considered adding the suggestion, but a quick search revealed a few references on the forum though no obvious entry in the official suggestions area. Maybe I will stick something in there; I'd like to think I'd fleshed out something a bit more contributory than "we needz weelchairs plz".

Eventually I harvested as many organs as I could before he carked it and incinerated the rest, and I reckon I felt the -15 mood modifier as much as any of my colonists (though probably not for as long). I'm considering getting dad a copy of Rimworld as it should run nicely on the laptop he has in hospital for Netflix and it's right up his street, but for some reason I can't quite bring myself to recount this story to him.

So cheers, Tynan, for showing me what a terrible son, and indeed person, I really am! Keep up the good work :)

muffins

Compared to the rest of us you're a saint. Butchering raiders and making human leather clothing from their skin and feeding their flesh to the pigs/dogs/omnivores is what passes for normal here.

I actually had one prisoner with a shattered pelvis so would also never walk again. Recruited to the colony almost as soon as he hit the prisoner bed. Probably thought that I was going to plunder all his organs as a prisoner. Plundered all his organs anyway.

Coenmcj

Especially that muffins dude, he's pure evil.
That avatar? do you think that's the face of mercy?

That sucks though dude, Rimworld's storytellers have a real way of getting into you like that at times.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Bruxy

Ha, well it seems to be contagious as I've finally bitten the bullet and started butchering corpses as standard. Sadly this also ties in with my progression to Rough Randy (I never thought I'd say that out loud) over Freeplay Cass, so it's wreaking havoc with everyone's mental state.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: muffins on February 28, 2016, 06:41:48 AM
Butchering raiders and making human leather clothing from their skin and feeding their flesh to the pigs/dogs/omnivores is what passes for normal here.

Yes, this is going into my list.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

harpo99999

you 'guys' are SOFT!!!!
force feed the prisoners on human meat(from dead raiders/tribals/prisoners but NOT colonists) and tell them that is they do not like it then JOIN and they do not get human meat except when it is the only thing left, BUT unless you join it is the ONLY thing you will eat, and if you die then the other prisoners will eat you!

A Friend

idk, I once trained a dog using the leftover meat of its pup once. Good times...

Edit: Ingame. Don't get any ideas you sick monsters
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

StorymasterQ

Quote from: A Friend on March 01, 2016, 07:27:31 AM
I once trained a dog using the leftover meat of its pup once. Good times...

I'm not including your edit, Friend, so that's going in my list as well.

Imagine that, two quotes right next to each other. March is truly here. Oh ye sweet A12 child.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

RoboticManiac

Quote from: StorymasterQ on March 01, 2016, 07:25:53 PM
Quote from: A Friend on March 01, 2016, 07:27:31 AM
I once trained a dog using the leftover meat of its pup once. Good times...

I'm not including your edit, Friend, so that's going in my list as well.

Imagine that, two quotes right next to each other. March is truly here. Oh ye sweet A12 child.
Love that humble little list of yours. Favourited for future enjoyment. Can't wait for more quotes. :)

falconbunker

I half expect that I am one of the few players that doesn't do any of this stuff, the worst I do is shoot people that're retreating, as well as downed ones if they don't bring anything useful to the table.

A Friend

Quote from: falconbunker on March 14, 2016, 02:58:17 AM
I half expect that I am one of the few players that doesn't do any of this stuff, the worst I do is shoot people that're retreating, as well as downed ones if they don't bring anything useful to the table.

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

falconbunker

Quote from: A Friend on March 14, 2016, 08:22:42 PM

Too bad mate, my hereticalness shall protect me from any punishment the non-heretics attempt to bring upon me! MUAHAHAHAHA

asanbr

Quote from: falconbunker on March 14, 2016, 08:58:44 PM

Too bad mate, my hereticalness shall protect me from any punishment the non-heretics attempt to bring upon me! MUAHAHAHAHA

just play vanilla on a higher difficulty and youw ill start doing those things.

Is there any other way?

Coenmcj

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite