A way to make water work

Started by kingtyris, February 17, 2016, 11:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingtyris

There have been a lot of discussions on this forum about adding water to the game, with many good arguments in favor and a lot of good arguments against. I would still like to see water implemented in game, and here is how I think it could work.

From the beginning, pawns find their own water sources. The pawns themselves won't actually ever have to visit a water source, as it is assumed they simply grab a sip whenever they're thirsty. However, streams and watering holes are often contaminated sources, so until a fresh supply is secured pawns are much more likely to suffer from water borne illnesses and stomach problems.

Fresh water can be secured by building rain collectors (Passive and require no power, but only work when it rains or snows) and water condensers which draw moisture from the air. Water is collected in barrels that function like batteries, filling with water as long as water collection is positive. Water can be transmitted via pipes that operate on the same principles as electricity. Each pawn living in the colony passively draws water from the supply. As long as the colony has fresh water, pawns chances of contracting water borne illnesses is reduced.

This could also introduce droughts to the game. A drought would trigger when it has gone too long between rain showers. Droughts would cause crops to stop growing and eventually die unless watered, condensers would stop working without water to draw from the atmosphere, and pawns would start suffering from thirst(acts like starvation) if there is no water in storage(We wouldn't have to add another 'need' bar like hunger or joy or rest; a hidden timer could start ticking when water runs out during a drought and at given intervals all pawns start suffering from the different stages of dehydration.)

Another use for water could be for crops. Crops outdoors wouldn't normally need watering, except for during drought conditions. Hydroponic basins would require a water supply to be attached, while indoor crops(which are a bit OP and honestly could use a bit of a nerf) and drought stricken outdoor crops would need to be within range of a sprinkler(works like a sun lamp, any plant within its range is considered 'watered' and the sprinkler draws from the water supply)

There should be some other uses for water (maybe an ingredient for lavish meals?) But I'd like to see water added in some capacity, and I think this could make water useful and meaningful without being a burden on the player.

Ectoplasm

I like the idea for water based illness, especially near the start. I imagine Tynan grinning manically as he adds the feature, because it's just another way we could get kicked when already down. A bitter pill to swallow, but adds to the game in so many ways.

Water fits into the Rimworld world perfectly. Please Sir, add it to the list :)

Bonus pic of Tynan adding the feature!

Vagabond

Hello,

Prison Architect, a game that has a very similar look and even feel to Rimworld, has water pumps and pipes.

I agree that water should play an important role in gameplay.

Showers
Toilets
Water pump; placed next to a source of water (A la Sim Farm)
Water Well
Water trough; collects rainwater for animals to drink from
Water Barrel; collects rainwater for colonists to drink from
Vapor Condenser; Collects water from the air
Pipes; Large (carrying water across distances) and small (connecting to objects)
Canal; Large (Carrying water across distances) and small (farming irrigation)
Water Treatment Unit; makes water potable
Water Recycler; Shower to toilet, toilet to fields.
Pool; recreation

Pactrick Willis

I'd second this. It gives a reason to have a properly sanitary base.