What's so good about sniper rifles?

Started by AllenWL, February 25, 2016, 12:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quxzcover

so if this is a unfair tactic that is basically combat 101, then killboxes are also an unfair tactic that is also combat 101. we should see both of these things in the same light, because there both exploits.

Grimandevil

Quote from: quxzcover on February 27, 2016, 01:59:43 PM
so if this is a unfair tactic that is basically combat 101, then killboxes are also an unfair tactic that is also combat 101. we should see both of these things in the same light, because there both exploits.
taking casualties to sniper fire is a real thing. (well, maybe they should be hunkering down, if being fired at from an unknown position(exceeding agro range), to lower hitting chance).

but running blindly to inevitable death(killbox) isnt how most intelligent creature behave.

Quote from: AllenWL on February 27, 2016, 09:45:12 AM
Oh, can't forget that with combat realism, you can make armored vests in smithing benches which when worn, protects your pawns organs.
funny. i havnt really realized that in vanilla u cannot make em.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

AllenWL

All armor in vanilla, to my understanding, is either bought or scavenged.
I could be wrong-won't be the first time I made a mistake like that-but pretty sure you can't make armor in vanilla.

Shurp

Speaking as a vanilla expert of sorts -- no, you can't manufacture much of anything in vanilla.  Beer, xerigium, great bows, and devilweed parkas.  Anything else you bring to a battle you have to buy.

But if you make enough beer you can afford to buy everything else :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shad

Quote from: Shurp on February 29, 2016, 06:17:17 PM
Speaking as a vanilla expert of sorts -- no, you can't manufacture much of anything in vanilla.  Beer, xerigium, great bows, and devilweed parkas.  Anything else you bring to a battle you have to buy.

TBH, this is kind of realistic. As much as I like modpacks like MVP and SK, the idea that some crash-landed guys can manufacture anything from beam weapons to bionic gear in a couple of years is a little silly. It's no longer survival, if I feel I need the option to invade the pirate factions and wipe them out for good.

The issue with vanilla is that there is not that much to do, unless you rack up the difficulty.

Bruxy

Quote from: Shad on February 29, 2016, 07:19:37 PM
TBH, this is kind of realistic. As much as I like modpacks like MVP and SK, the idea that some crash-landed guys can manufacture anything from beam weapons to bionic gear in a couple of years is a little silly.

Maybe, but some basic stuff would be nice. Peg legs are one thing, but I'm fairly certain I could smash together a few pieces of steel and leather to make improvised body armour if I really needed to. I've seen enough Max Max-type fiction to know what "wasteland style" looks like :)

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Shad on February 29, 2016, 07:19:37 PM

TBH, this is kind of realistic. As much as I like modpacks like MVP and SK, the idea that some crash-landed guys can manufacture anything from beam weapons to bionic gear in a couple of years is a little silly. It's no longer survival, if I feel I need the option to invade the pirate factions and wipe them out for good.

The issue with vanilla is that there is not that much to do, unless you rack up the difficulty.

The weird thing is the inconsistency though. On one hand you can produce solar panels, electrical smelters, work plasteel into melee weapons. On the other hand you can't produce basic firearms or form armor-grade steel into a breastplate. If you look up early WWII era armor vests its literally just that, steel formed into a plate and fastened to the body with some straps, its only recently that ceramics have started replacing plain old steel for military grade armor vests. The complexity comes really just from being able to produce and work the metal itself yet our colonists can already work plasteel into swords and maces so why not plates and helmets?
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

LeoTessa

I only want some permanent scratches to heal so that my "wont ever die" colonists do not reach potato level after a few unlucky battles

Shad

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 01, 2016, 05:03:45 PM

The weird thing is the inconsistency though. On one hand you can produce solar panels, electrical smelters, work plasteel into melee weapons. On the other hand you can't produce basic firearms or form armor-grade steel into a breastplate. If you look up early WWII era armor vests its literally just that, steel formed into a plate and fastened to the body with some straps, its only recently that ceramics have started replacing plain old steel for military grade armor vests. The complexity comes really just from being able to produce and work the metal itself yet our colonists can already work plasteel into swords and maces so why not plates and helmets?
Inconsistency is a problem. However, I imagine a few people may find vanilla too hard if you have the realistic setup where your power come from simple fuel-powered generators, and solar panels come from sales or drops only.

A few mods do basic metallic armor. So long as you don't expect to survive any substantial amount of gunfire (like historical WW2 armor), and you can bear with how slow it makes you colonists it can make a difference between life and death. I do feel some basic things like that could be made into vanilla too.

As for guns, the ideal situation would be to introduce black powder guns. That way a well developed colony will have access to more advance equipment than bow and arrows, while the modern guns remain that carrot you yearn for.

Grimandevil

it doesnt take much technology to make a padded vest with some steel (or plasteel) plates attached or stuffed in it. i believe, plasteel in rimworld can substitute modern metal-ceramics in some way.

sadly, selling raw hops brings almost the same, as selling beer, w/o working time expences. same goes for producing stuff in general.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

IkeaSwede

Combat Realism fixes this, to some degree - but almost makes them too inaccurate (Can't take a long range rifle on hunting with even my 15 skill people, as they'll miss more than 60% of the shots and just give up and go home - rince and repeat)

Shurp

Quote from: Grimandevil on March 02, 2016, 05:41:31 AM
sadly, selling raw hops brings almost the same, as selling beer, w/o working time expences. same goes for producing stuff in general.

Yes, the pricing system is broken, things that take labor to make should be worth more than their components.

But the advantage of beer is that you can sell it to pirates *and* to the bulk merchant, meaning you don't have to have monstrous freezers full of hops waiting for the bulk merchant to show.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Grimandevil

Quote from: Shurp on March 02, 2016, 10:54:27 AM
But the advantage of beer is that you can sell it to pirates *and* to the bulk merchant
good point.

Mikhail Reign

Does hops even require freezing? Isn't it treated like wood - i.e: it deteriorates outside, but inside, no matter the temp, its fine.

Shurp

Hops and beer both show an expiration date in my inventory, which is why I freeze em.  They're pretty long -- 25 days for hops, beer I'm not sure of.  I probably could unload them before that but my freezers are big enough, and having a warehouse full of beer is fun :)

(being able to distill vodka from potatoes would be even better)