[W|Alpha 1 - 334] Oops! The Game crashed on trying to open RimWorld334.exe

Started by jonnidt, January 28, 2014, 05:32:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnidt

Hi all,

Please see attached error message files for when I've tried to run and open Rimworld334Win.exe. Break down as well as replication can be seen below. I've attached 13 error logs to this thread for investigation.

The first time I downloaded the file and ran the executable I was able to open the programme, after this I changed the graphics settings to High & the game window then went completely black and crashed with the below error. The folder in the attached zip for the first crash is 2014-01-28_192032.

======================================
Error reads;

Oops!
The game crashed.
The crash report folder named 'Date&timestamp" next to game executable.
It would be great if you could send it to the developer of the game!
======================================

When ever I now open the game, I get a blank black Window opening but closes with the same crash error as above almost instantaneously. I've removed the game in it's entirety from my computer and re-downloaded and extracted the .zip file. I am unable to get the game to load at all.

Is there a cache of data/files for graphical settings some where that I'm missing? As I expect it's linked to the graphical settings change I changed when I first opened this Alpha version of the game.

I've replicated this error 12 more times, during of which I've deleted the local files and reextracted the files from the original ZIP folder. I've also tried redownloading the game several times to no avail. As mentioned prior, I suspect there may be some cached files some where that have stored my graphical settings to cause this error.

Regards;
Jonathon

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Tynan

Ok. For now I'd go to your data folder ( mine is C:\Users\Tynan\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\Rimworld  on Win7) and delete Prefs.xml. That will reset the default settings and let you start the game again.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

jonnidt

Hi Tynan,

Thanks for the reply.

Where would I find this file path on Windows 8/8.1? I followed the same route you mentioned and I couldn't see the file Prefs.xml.

Only file that I could see was C:\Users\(UserID)\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld -> Knowledge.xml.

If I delete the above file nothing changes. I've logged into a second user account and opened the game just fine. Same issue occurs when I change the graphical settings to High.

I've attached the new .ZIP error file to this posting.

Any where else I can expect to find the Prefs.xml file? Tried a broad search across my whole C:\ for and didn't come back with any results.

Regards;
Jonny

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Tynan

Oh, I'm sorry. My mistake.

Resolution is still stored in the registry.

Go to regedit, navigate to HKCU\Software\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld, and delete everything there.

I should put resolution in prefs too, clearly.

Sorry for the confusion.

jonnidt

No problem Tynan, I'll give it a craic when I get home this evening.

Do you have any need for community testers? I haven't alot of spare time on my hands but I could still dedicate 2-3 hours a weel to testing if you have any need.

I'm a software tester by trade so I'm happy to contribute if I can be of any help.

Tynan

Quote from: jonnidt on January 29, 2014, 06:45:29 PM
No problem Tynan, I'll give it a craic when I get home this evening.

Do you have any need for community testers? I haven't alot of spare time on my hands but I could still dedicate 2-3 hours a weel to testing if you have any need.

I'm a software tester by trade so I'm happy to contribute if I can be of any help.

Sure can you contact Semmy on the forums here? Just link him this post and he'll set ya up :)