Can we celebrate birthdates?

Started by LeoTessa, February 27, 2016, 09:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoTessa

I dont think is hard to code, something like adding another variable to the class colonist with a ceirtain date + an if/else or case command of sorts for checking each date

Then the colonist/colony get a mood boost

Toggle

Maybe only effect optimist/pessimist? If pessimist, "Sigh, another year to be dragged through" If optimist, "Survived another year!" something like that.

Although, I doubt they'd even remember their birth dates after the live they've been through. Or even know the current day of the year.  Plus, they can't really celebrate a birth on 'March 22nd' on a planet with 5-10 days.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Vas

I had a mod once that popped up birthday notifications, it was horrible.  I had notifications almost constantly!
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

MarcTheMerc

Quote from: Vas on February 28, 2016, 05:55:44 AM
I had a mod once that popped up birthday notifications, it was horrible.  I had notifications almost constantly!
Mod? wasn't it vanilla?
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

Vas

I don't even remember now, I play with 60+ mods so I never know whats vanilla and whats not.  :P
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Vagabond

The issue is the timescale. The distance of our rimworld to it's sun wouldn't be able to support human or plant life. Just saying.

This is why I think we really need an abstract time scale a la The Guild 2

LeoTessa

Quote from: Vagabond on February 28, 2016, 03:02:39 PM
The issue is the timescale. The distance of our rimworld to it's sun wouldn't be able to support human or plant life. Just saying.

And yet we have 365 days with 24 hours each + 4 seasons ignoring tempeture changes

Toggle

Quote from: Vagabond on February 28, 2016, 03:02:39 PM

That isn't an issue at all, because we don't need to prioritize science over gameplay.

Vagabond

Know how many features have been implemented that others or myself have suggested that people have bashed using the argument of gameplay over realism/science? You'd think people would start coming up with better arguments against it.

Once again though, for the detractors: the genre is sci-fi colony sim. Sci-fi being short for science fiction and sim being short for simulation. What are the principles of the scifi genre? Utilizing science as we know it to imagine the science of tomorrow. It is speculative, using creative thought to predict future innovations with a grounding in scientific principles or theory. It wants to appeal to those who are laymen in the science, and wants to make those not inducted into the wonders of science interested in it.

Now, simulation should be rather self explanatory. Simulations attempt to replicate real or theoretical processes.

We don't need to prioritize science/realism over gameplay, but why on earth does it have to be one or the other? Why do we have to sacrifice one or the other to have an enjoyable experience? Especially since the closer to science and and realism you get the more difficult things become, but then you rely less upon completely absurd and clearly synthetic methods of creating challenge for the player to overcome.

I suppose if the goal is to have an "arcade-like" casual game, where the science fiction part amounts to "space and lazers dewd" and the rest is simulating how bad AI is abused in some artificial "killbox" construct that nothing would really run into - animals wouldn't even go there with the scent of death in the air. Then the rest of the game is essentially the deployment phase of tower defense game except you have to gather the materials and wait for your TD-maze and "towers" to be built.

I guess then we are spot on and the game is exactly where it needs to be going. Grats.

Edit: We can all see by the next alpha's feature list that whomever likes the tower defense is going to be sorely disappointed - the game is moving in the direction of the true meaning of simulation and science fiction, it has steadily been going that way since the start. The rest of you who are stuck on the tower defense game are going to be continually dismayed as Ludeon moves forward I think.

Toggle

I've pointed it out for 2, maybe 3 topics. My point here is pretty simple, Tynan probably has a reason to keep the ticks in a year the same as he hasn't changed them, and has reasons for their being a certain amount of days. This is for gameplay reasons. Saying it should be changed because it's not scientifically viable is silly. Gotta be a balance.

Vagabond

You say there has to be a balance, then it should be equally silly for it to be changed and for it to stay the way it is.

If it is silly for gameplay reasons ( I personally don't see how this could be, unless it is somehow hardcoded or something), then the fact that a sci-fi simulation game was built around something so diametrically opposed to the nature of both genres is indisputably just as silly. If you can concede to that, than I can concede to your view - however I would still like to see some evidence as to why it isn't a viable alternative aside from conjecture. My arguments are grounded in evidence, fact, and untested (as I don't have the skills or means to implement them to test them) but well thought out hypothesis of what seem viable solutions to elements of the game which I feel could be improved on.

At different points throughout development people have shot down ideas from myself and others, only for them to be introduced in game at a later point. Assuming something hasn't been implemented because it is superior or that there is some other reason (engine or gameplay) is indeed a simple point, so much so as to be useless as it doesn't offer definitive reasoning nor the option to rebuttal in the case of an argument for it to stay the same or an argument for a different solution.

Vagabond

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 29, 2016, 02:55:30 PM
I'm not even bloody against longer days/years. Just the fact that saying we should do it to be more realistic is a honestly worthless reason because nobody will really care if the days of the year are accurate.

Except I didn't say that it should be done simply for the sake of realism, the topic is about birthdays - there are a lot more mechanical reasons to have it more realistic. We can't have birthdays if the timescale is as jacked up as it is. Just like we can't have sensible construction times, research lengths, relationship development, crafting times, event spacing, faction interactions, or just about anything else with the timescale as it is. I was simply making a point that with how close to the sun our colonist are, we should have long-pork bacon, not people.

"Simply" for the sake of realism implies I just want it to match a real life sustaining orbit just so that it matches.

Oh, and I care if it matches! Since I am not very unique in the grand scheme of things, not very special, It is safe to say someone else has to agree with me. It is rare to be original. Besides, I enjoy this back and forth - I married my wife because she is pretty and respected the fact I'm an introvert, so I don't like getting her worked up with debate. My family and friends are rather dull and interested only in practical hands-on topics like the grass needing to be mowed, or the weather. . .Or if they need a metric or standard tool for the job. I work construction, co-own a landscaping business, and have two fifteen foot moving trucks. I'm a manual laborer, folks like you are how I get my stimulation for the day. Talking about ideas, debating intellectually over stuff that is meaningless in the sense they provide nothing to my family or financial security.

Point of that is that I don't want to frustrate people, I just like to be stimulated intellectually, and want to do the same to others.

Toggle

You said the issue is that our planet wouldn't even of been able to support human plant or life, and I listed other reasons... Like would they even know the current date, they'd have different year lengths and month lengths then the planets they were born on, or y'know if born in space.

LeoTessa

Quote from: Vagabond on February 29, 2016, 03:19:43 PM
Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 29, 2016, 02:55:30 PM
I'm not even bloody against longer days/years. Just the fact that saying we should do it to be more realistic is a honestly worthless reason because nobody will really care if the days of the year are accurate.

Except I didn't say that it should be done simply for the sake of realism, the topic is about birthdays - there are a lot more mechanical reasons to have it more realistic. We can't have birthdays if the timescale is as jacked up as it is. Just like we can't have sensible construction times, research lengths, relationship development, crafting times, event spacing, faction interactions, or just about anything else with the timescale as it is. I was simply making a point that with how close to the sun our colonist are, we should have long-pork bacon, not people.

"Simply" for the sake of realism implies I just want it to match a real life sustaining orbit just so that it matches.

Oh, and I care if it matches! Since I am not very unique in the grand scheme of things, not very special, It is safe to say someone else has to agree with me. It is rare to be original. Besides, I enjoy this back and forth - I married my wife because she is pretty and respected the fact I'm an introvert, so I don't like getting her worked up with debate. My family and friends are rather dull and interested only in practical hands-on topics like the grass needing to be mowed, or the weather. . .Or if they need a metric or standard tool for the job. I work construction, co-own a landscaping business, and have two fifteen foot moving trucks. I'm a manual laborer, folks like you are how I get my stimulation for the day. Talking about ideas, debating intellectually over stuff that is meaningless in the sense they provide nothing to my family or financial security.

Point of that is that I don't want to frustrate people, I just like to be stimulated intellectually, and want to do the same to others.

Then we might as well as make it a really minor buff thats insignificant and only lasts for one day. that way timescale would be solved dont you think?

Vagabond

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on February 29, 2016, 05:33:14 PM
You said the issue is that our planet wouldn't even of been able to support human plant or life, and I listed other reasons... Like would they even know the current date, they'd have different year lengths and month lengths then the planets they were born on, or y'know if born in space.

Hm. I hadn't thought of that. Even if the timescale was fixed to bring the planet into the goldilocks zone, that is still a pretty wide belt around the sun. Planets at different distances from the sun, even within the goldilocks zone would have slightly different times. Also a very interesting point about those who are born in space - what measure of time do they use.

All valid points that would most certainly make this suggestion unfeasible. However, I still think timescale needs to be fixed for other reasons... This is just no longer a viable reason to do it. GG Zombie, I concede on this ^.^