'Flick this at sunset and sunrise'

Started by RemingtonRyder, March 17, 2016, 07:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

A special toggle intended for the sun lamp which means that pawns with the Flick job will run over and turn it off while plants are resting.

Thane

Or for floor lights. Colonists don't need the place lit 24/7!
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

erdrik

Why not any flick-able Item/Structure?
Make it non specific too, just a standard flick job at dawn/dusk, so you can preset the initial flick position before hand to invert it if need be.

Toggle

It would be pretty annoying to have to hit the switch on basically the entire base, since I bet that would be what a lot of people would do. I think we need a combo of two suggestions from other people. A switch that can have set times to turn on/off at certain times of the day, eg off at sunset on at sunrise as wanted here. Although it would have to just trigger someone to flick itself, since there's no auto switches. But this, combined with coloured wires. Say a red wire would only connect with reds, blues with blues, and you'd be able to toggle which wires interact with the switch connected.

This would allow for basically any combo of electricity management, and try to minimize the micro-management.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

harpo99999

and if you are willing to use mods, there is haplo's magnifiecent power switch mod that does have a timeswitch mode and also a pawn/animal detected mode

Toggle

Yeah, there's the mod for the timeswitch which can be pretty useful.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

hut

Protip: connect lamps to a separate power grid with only solar generators and no batteries :D

RemingtonRyder

There are a couple of problems with the only solar approach though.

In northern colony locations, there is less sunlight, and thus less solar power. So to get those lamps running at 6am in winter, you need another power source.

Also, it's not just the sun lamps you need to power - you might need heaters or coolers. Which is why I stick to having one power grid, even though that creates its own problems.

RemingtonRyder

So I had another think about this.

While it would be nice to have the ability to schedule flicking, I'm actually being a dingus about growing food during the winter when there's less sunlight in the north. I should be making the most of summer growing and not making things more difficult by having animals eating their way through my first year reserves.

Tynan

I can see this. "Try to keep this flicked on during X hours."
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog