Allow rotten on cooking stove: does it do anything?

Started by asanbr, March 04, 2016, 04:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toggle

Pretty sure you can't cook with rotten, I haven't tried. If you actually can, it would give food poisoning for sure.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Mikhail Reign

But its colonist cooking skill that determines if something is going to give food poisoning or not, right?

Toggle

All I know if rotten food WAS a valid ingredient, it would def give food poisoning. I'm pretty sure it's not a valid ingredient, as it's a different thingdef entirely.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Panzer

Jeez guys, show some investigative spirit :P not just guess work!

Apparently, meat cant be rotten anymore, it ll just vanish when it expires. Vegetables can be rotten though and you can still cook with them, and no, the meal isnt guaranteed to give food poisoning, does still depend on the cook skill.

So yeah, allowing rotten in the options doesnt do anything at the moment, likely because a seperate poisonous meal mechanic hasnt been implemented yet. You can still cook with it though, like normal vegetables!

Devon_v

I thought that meat pile was evaporating! :)

Thanks for the info.

asanbr

So you're saying there is no downside to cooking with rotten veggies?

stigma

I don't know - and I have been wondering the same.

While buthered meat on the ground just vanishes after it expires (and thus can't be rotten) - there is something that happens to animal carcasses.... The carcass itself will become putrified after a few days in the sun - but it still exists in the world for a long time. (happens often after predators leave kills half-eaten).

I don't know what happens if you try to butcher a rotten animal carcass... I would have to test. You may get usable leather + rotten meat?

-Stigma

Mikhail Reign

We're saying that food can't be rotten. If it was to reach a state where it was rotten, it vanishes.

asanbr

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on July 28, 2016, 05:52:15 PM
We're saying that food can't be rotten. If it was to reach a state where it was rotten, it vanishes.

Quote from: Panzer
Apparently, meat cant be rotten anymore, it ll just vanish when it expires. Vegetables can be rotten though and you can still cook with them, and no, the meal isnt guaranteed to give food poisoning, does still depend on the cook skill.

Shabazza

I saw some Let's plays where people were forced to use rotting animals or even exhume their dead and cook them because of unlucky chains of events.
So this is what this feature is useful for.