Research tech tree

Started by Livingston I Presume, March 05, 2016, 04:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Livingston I Presume

I will try and keep this brief

However I have noticed that the research tree is actually quite short and renders the research skill useless after a year or two of game time.  The way I believe to fix this is to take the "Future Technologies" research idea from the Civilization game, and apply it to Rimworld.  For those not familiar with this idea I will explain.  In Civ series once you finish researching everything in the game and complete the Tech Tree, you can repeatedly research something called "future technologies" which just simply adds little bonuses to your Nations's happiness, resource output ect ect.  However everytime you research it, it requires more points to research, ensuring you can't really milk it to easily. 

How this relates to Rimworld is that when you finish the research tree there could be a series of techs similar to the Pneumatic Picks research.  These techs could be researched an infinte number of times, each requiring more research points.  What they improve and how much by I think would be up to people like Tynan.  But the idea is that it would provide use for researchers once everything was done, and make long term colonies more powerful and fun.  Just and idea, sorry I rambled a bit

jzero

hmm. I Think this could be pretty good. I often find my researchers useless after all research is done. Often resulting in their "disappearance" from the colony and new hats for all.
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

Limdood

Tynan

There is much, much more research in A13, with several tiers involving multiple different research facilities. So this should satisfy you, for a while, I hope :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Livingston I Presume

Wow awesome, I love how Rimworld is still in Alpha and it has come so far, and looks like it still has a way to go, looking forward to it!

Play2Jens

Quote from: Tynan on March 06, 2016, 02:25:01 PM
There is much, much more research in A13, with several tiers involving multiple different research facilities. So this should satisfy you, for a while, I hope :)

Hi Ty,
Will there be categories/visual tree of the research in A13?

Tynan

Quote from: Play2Jens on March 11, 2016, 05:17:08 PM
Quote from: Tynan on March 06, 2016, 02:25:01 PM

Hi Ty,
Will there be categories/visual tree of the research in A13?

No, the interface will probably be the same. Might improve it for future though. It was fine before but it's a bit overloaded now.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Fluffy (l2032)

I've been working on a visual tech tree for a while, just bashing out the final details. Hopefully - if the technical stuff behind research hasn't changed too much - I'll be able to push it out quickly after A13.