Alpha 13

Started by JamesFoster, March 05, 2016, 06:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesFoster

I hate to be *that* person, but I feel like this is getting kind of ridiculous. Over half a year without a new update and only two reports on progress? I feel like Tynan really needs to release a new update soon. Even if he has added/is adding a lot of stuff, I feel like such a large amount of time between updates is inappropriate. A lot of people have put a decent amount of this (considering the fact that the packages range from $30-$200, plus any donations) and I think we deserve to have at least gotten more than two updates these past seven months.

Lys

Quote from: JamesFoster on March 05, 2016, 06:50:37 PM
I hate to be *that* person, but I feel like this is getting kind of ridiculous.
And everyone hates you for it, too.
It's coming soon enough. Just play some other good game for now and tadaa... as soon as you're bored with it, I'm pretty sure A13 is out.

IkeaSwede

It is annoying, but I have a fair bit of trust for this guy; Had it been someone that hadn't already proven that they want to finish the game, i'd be worried. But I'm not.
I'm sure it'll come soon enough.

That said; He could do a hell of a lot better on informing us about what's going on though.

Panzer

Patience, young padawan, lay down your pitchfork :P

Tynan announced the update hiatus and his 6 month break, the game is still being worked on though, ison was working fulltime as far as I know. He also announced that the update will be bigger than usual and that it will be released sometime around march, a little bit more patience pls.

Vas

Tynan was on break.  Meaning he took a vacation.  People do that every few years.  Yes, game developers need vacations too.  Designing a game and programming for a living is not as fun as it sounds.  Sure it can be fun but it can also be frustrating and if you don't take a break every now and then, you will burn out.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Coenmcj

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

jzero

Quote from: IkeaSwede on March 05, 2016, 07:25:02 PM
It is annoying, but I have a fair bit of trust for this guy; Had it been someone that hadn't already proven that they want to finish the game, i'd be worried. But I'm not.
I'm sure it'll come soon enough.

That said; He could do a hell of a lot better on informing us about what's going on though.

I agree with this. I have trust in Tynan to get us this update, no matter how long it takes
Actual cannibal shia labeouf.

RickyMartini

Quoting:
QuoteCan't wait to get it to you guys. I'll be back in March. (edit: I'm not sure when the alpha will actually be finished. It could be after March – just to be clear).

There's really not much you guys can do at the moment. He said it, so don't expect an update to suddenly appear just because some people are asking for it. Btw, it's also not a really uncommon question so Tynan won't respond to this.

Headshotkill

It's not like they've stopped working on the game, they've clearly said that development is still going and a new alpha can be expected in the nearby future. (1-2 months)

RemingtonRyder

I don't need to point at any particular developer to illustrate what happens when games are released or updated without enough QA. In supposedly AAA games it is painful to see.

You'll get a release when it's ready, not before.

Monkeysaur

This is not your average "6 months, no update" situation. Sure if it was I would be worried too.

This is a "6 months, no update", with advanced notice, an explanation, and reports on progress in the meantime.

Perhaps you missed it, but it was explained that Mr T was going on holiday, and having a (well earned) break.

Frankly, for me, this has been handled very well. I am desperate for an update, but as others have said, we know where things stand, we are staying informed, we know what to expect, and roughly when.

I am seriously impressed that we have had the progress reports we have had, and they point towards a lot of work being done, even while he's on his holidays.

I'm eager to know exactly when we can expect the next Alpha to drop, but I have zero concerns about the development of this game going forward. This game has had (and I am sure will continue to have) one of the best development cycles I have seen from any Indy developer.

We should all be very happy with what we have had, and what we can be confident that we are yet to get.

I hope Tynan is having / has had a top holiday, he's earned it. I look forward to the next update, and I'm happy to wait until he is ready.

Devon_v

A nice break can be a very refreshing thing. There's also something to be said about getting out from under obligations. Tynan mentioned that he's basically still working "25%" on Rimworld, because taking a break from having to work on Rimworld doesn't mean that he doesn't sometimes want to work on Rimworld. He also has a full time coder at the moment so that he's not the only person getting stuff done, which is where all the progress on A13 is coming from. That's the big thing, too, he's not coming back from holiday and then starting up development again, he's coming back, doing some polish, and giving us a new alpha to play with. Personally I think interpersonal reationships are going to be such great fodder for storytelling. (Plus as much as he feels it's beyond the game's scope, it seems he's actually going to add human reproduction, so all the people who want to found a multi-generational permanent colony can rejoice)

rdz1122

The young person that started this thread is merely stating his opinion, which I share, and do not hate him/her for.

Having put money into a pre-release product, ostensibly to support it's ongoing development, we, as consumers and investors, should be allowed to expect a timely and periodic update.  That doesn't have to mean new Alpha/Beta releases every month (though we became spoiled here for a while with Rimworld), but having consistent messaging, maybe some screenshots, to keep the appetite whetted is appropriate. 

I feel, like this person, that we are being let-down; prior "warning" notwithstanding.  Consistent updates, feedback, some media perhaps would go a long way to keeping me, and many others, engaged.  At this juncture I lost a large part of my interest in this project; were it not for the many hard-working Mod builders, this game would have long ago gone by the way-side, maybe forever.

All that said, I look forward to a new version just like everyone else; I just won't crucify someone that has an opinion other than mine or yours.

JimmyAgnt007

There are 31 days in March.  As long as something happens before April he will have kept his promise. 

Lys

No Jimmy... He said he would be back from his vacation in march, nothing about releasing anything in march. Though it would be fantastic...