Mountain Fortress

Started by JimmyAgnt007, March 06, 2016, 11:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

Did you see Tynan stole your sweet sweet karma and posted this to the sub reddit.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Headshotkill

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: skullywag on March 07, 2016, 01:09:43 PM
Did you see Tynan stole your sweet sweet karma and posted this to the sub reddit.

Really? where?  Got a link?  https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/49a3j9/jimmyagent007s_giantass_colony/

EDIT: I found it.  I dont have a reddit account, cant answer some things people are asking. 

praguepride

Not that I'm complaining but my Rimworld eyes couldn't help but notice some questions/comments/concerns about your base...

1) Do air conditioners act as perfect blocks for heat? Because off your meal storage fridge you've got the coolers dumping out into an indoor trapped area (where the temperature must be 100-200 degrees farenheit). If you mine that out you could connect it to the outside and release that trapped heat.

2) Your turrets are highly vulnerable to chain explosions me thinks. I put the walls physically between my turrets and that seems to absorb the blast. Do sandbags absorb it as well? The only problem with that is turrets have a hard time aiming at close range.

3) I know in your  case it doesn't matter but your hydroponics arrangements are inefficient. You can squeeze more tables in for fewer lights which would bring the power requirements down.

4) Again, personal preference, but I don't bother heating/cooling the main hallways and that also helps keep the power requirements down.

5) I like to put my butchers tables and stoves in the same room and put stockpiles for immediate access to food in the same room. I noticed this eliminates a lot of redundant hauling as normally it is Butcher -> Take meat back to food stock pile -> Bring 5/10 meat/veg back from stockpile to stove.

By putting small stockpiles right next to the workstations you can create an efficient little assembly line.

6) No sandbags/rocks/debris in your maze entrances? You're providing a bit of cover for enemy shooters.

7) LOL at having telescopes in the middle of your right killbox. I've had problems where non-combatants try to use joy devices in the middle of a raging fire fight!

8) Your medical beds are in the same room as your prisoners. Not that it's a bad thing just that the sterile tile doesn't really help unless the whole room is sterile and kept at sterile levels. With group medical rooms it's a lot harder to control that. I tend to make my sterile rooms separated so it is only 1-2 beds per room in a simple 3x3 (with a shared vital monitor) to better control the cleanliness of the room.

9) No statues galore? After 20 years it would be very amusing to see all the "events" that they can choose from for artwork.

10) How massive are the raids with that much "wealth"?

All in all a very nifty mountain base!

JimmyAgnt007

1) The heat isnt trapped, they all vent into unroofed areas so its kept at outdoors temp, also the back unbuildable area of my base is outdoors thanks to a single tile so its a safe heat dump.

2) Sorta, but I was making them into plasteel and I got a pawn next to each so they can repair during battle.  Sandbags dont absorb much if anything but are there to protect the colonists.  I didnt think about the close range, the turrets not protected by walls were a much later addition, didnt have that many before.

3) I know, I just liked the layout, though some rooms were thrown off by door locations and such.  Though the room lights were as evenly spaced as I could get them.

4) The main hall is meant to help equalize all the rooms, ive got more vents than anything.  I dev mode a bunch of cold snaps to see how many heaters id need to keep it warm.  Coolers i tested in heat waves, seemed to be just right. 

5) I did this for the primary kitchen, the other set of butcher tables was for the overflow freezer.  Also to deal with the massive influx of animals to butcher when i set of the psycho animal beacon. heh

6) The Maze was another late addition and there were no rocks left.  Also it didnt seem to be an issue, they mostly just kept moving closer to me.

7) I have no non-combatants.  Just some with guns, others who retrieve the injured, but everyone gets drafted. 

8.) Didnt know that but I dont mind.  I just wanted a well stocked med area for prisoners.  I also kept a pair of pants and a shirt so that i could strip any armor and haul it but give them something to wear.

9) For the longest time I just used them to sell for money, so i could afford neurotrainers.  I only kept Legendary art.  Needless to say it never happened so then i just started keeping masterwork but only had the one piece at the time i hit year 20.

10) Not big enough to survive constant bombardment from mortars or my battle lines.  Plus when they did flee, they went past the left entrance to escape in that little area, thus my turrets facing the map edge.  In case the runners got past me.

Whenever A13 drops and after I make a few for fun colonies Im going to do this again and see what happens.  Glad everyone likes it.  Im surprised the attention its getting. 

hwfanatic

I don't get it - what did you do with all the chunks of rock?

JimmyAgnt007

Quote from: hwfanatic on April 24, 2016, 05:47:17 AM
I don't get it - what did you do with all the chunks of rock?

turned them into bricks and sold them off.

baronjutter

Do sappers give you trouble?

keylocke

that looks like a temperate forest.. why do you need so much hydroponics?  :o

b0rsuk

Quote from: keylocke on April 25, 2016, 06:52:03 AM
that looks like a temperate forest.. why do you need so much hydroponics?  :o
He doesn't.

Listen1

Hey Jimmy, how is your A13 colony?

I've made quite a few and my last one is going on pretty well. I'm on small hills and my biggest problem are bug hives, that appear on a small room I built under the rock. They are always nasty. I'll try to make a 78 degrees room and farm them, when next infestation happen.

JimmyAgnt007

Had to reformat my comp, things are back up and running but havent gotten around to playing lately.  Though it was off to a good start before then.  Im getting away with smaller bedrooms and Im having a much better layout.

As for the hydroponics, they are a lot safer under the mountain.  Dont have to worry about raiders or animals attacking farmers. 

Mathenaut

This is amazing. I'm wondering how A13 will alter this. It seems unlikely that you can manage many of the mined-out structures like that. Though, I suppose you can just collapse the roofs that spawn bugs.

Florius

Does it handle well against raiders? I think you get easily overrun with quite a few tribals?

And I do granite wallturretwallturret, does this work better?

JimmyAgnt007

I only had one infestation so far in A13, got a bit banged up but no big deal.  Ive got a lot more melee fighters now who id use for the next time. 

As far as raids from any faction, the more massive the group the more damage they take from artillery.  The smaller the raids the easier it is for my people to deal with them.

So far in A13 I have yet to make any turrets (so short on steal without traders like we used to have) but I do like the [turret][stone wall][turret] behind sandbag pattern.