[Mod Idea] Reaction to weather

Started by xDahaka2012x, March 11, 2016, 03:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xDahaka2012x

Have you or one of your friends ever suffered headache due to the change of atmospheric preassure before the rain? Well, if not, then you must be a lucky one, because at least a quarter of my friends has that on regular basis. So I came up with an idea - why can't we make the weather influence some pawns?
So here are my ideas:
1. Allow weather to influence pawns' "Pain" stat. Some will feel more pain, some less - thus activating different negative mood effects (in small/moderate pain - it should never apply the ammount of pain that will incapacitate the pawn alone by itself but it may black them out in combination with other pain sources).
2. Allow weather to influence pawns' mood directly. The difference is that it won't apply any pain or something, but a mood effect (either positive or negative) like "Hates/Loves rain" or "Too sunny/Likes sunny weather".
Both of these should be individual and random(or configurable through EdB Prepare Carefully - if the author will support both the idea and a hypothetical mod)
Maybe for the first time the preferances will be in their "traits" section but I dream of it becoming a separate category that is independent from other traits in order not to overclutter this section and adding some variety and individuality to the pawns.
So this is basically it. If you have any question, suggestion or a ready mod (wow) - I am eager to answer everyone.

Grimandevil

sadly, with the current 'max 3 traits' it would be a waste, instead some useful\play-changing traits.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

xDahaka2012x

That is a problem, indeed, but can't we make a mod that increases the limit to, like, 5 or 6 traits?

Stinkycat752

Not understanding what you mean by, "It'd be a waste." I mean, half of the traits themselves are just like -8 happiness because you exist or this person isn't affected by X.

If anything making it a trait would probably make it easier to code in with a mod
Abomination Imagination

Tatte

-8 happiness because you exist

Best line ever
~Tatte~

skullywag

However....all this talk of reacting to weather has me thinking....umbrellas.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

StorymasterQ

Quote from: skullywag on March 21, 2016, 04:41:51 AM

So... Zombies?
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

skullywag

Quote from: StorymasterQ on March 21, 2016, 04:49:31 AM
Quote from: skullywag on March 21, 2016, 04:41:51 AM

So... Zombies?

Not the corp the the thing that keeps rain off you.  :P

Shinzy

Skully! time to make umbrella mod!
whenever it starts to rain pawns pop out umbrella motes on them
accompanied with the serial popping sounds the lemmings make when they suicide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GzF6vm9fwY

yes? yes?

skullywag

hrrmmm i can do this quite easily with an apparel item.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Shinzy on March 21, 2016, 08:00:15 AM
whenever it starts to rain pawns pop out umbrella motes on them

This reminds me of Rollercoaster Tycoon. Me gusta.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

xDahaka2012x

Wasn't my initial idea but still, the umbrellas would be cool.
BUT STILL! Is noone realy entartained by my weather mod idea? =(

anonymous456

I wish colonists would get a mood penalty if they sleep in bad weather, just like "slept outside", but then also "slept in the rain/snow/bad weather".

I don't know about traits right now, for the reasons you mentioned. Three trait slots are too few for my tastes, it would be nice if we had one or two preference-slots for stuff like weather, food, social interest, etc.

If that would be available I'd be alright with weather preferences, but right now as it is reactions to weather can be neglected if inside. If outside for a longer amount of time, maybe just apply a small bonus for sunny weather (possibly only if the temperature is comfortable) and a small penalty if the weather is "bad".

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: xDahaka2012x on March 30, 2016, 12:22:12 AM

People generally don't go for mod requests because those with the skills/patience to make it happen are usually busy with their own projects already.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Toggle

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 30, 2016, 04:27:02 AM
Quote from: xDahaka2012x on March 30, 2016, 12:22:12 AM

People generally don't go for mod requests because those with the skills/patience to make it happen are usually busy with their own projects already.

Yeah... Mod requests are usually answered in 4 ways.

1. They're small enough that someone is able to do it fairly quickly, and the requester gets what they want.

2. It inspires an idea, as what happened here, for a mod that may, but probably not, is what they wanted.

3. It's already being made or a mod fits what they need enough.

Or 4. It just doesn't get made and is kinda ignored. This is the most often due to usually the idea being bad, being suggested tons of times before, too complicated/silly, too expensive time-wise or just not an attractive idea for anyone to mod.

Because when you submit a mod request, you gotta hope someone either gets interested in it, or it's simple and cheap time-wise to make. Otherwise it's usually up to you.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.