Faction system

Started by Reddeath96, March 21, 2016, 06:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddeath96

So what kind of overhauling can you guys see being done with the faction system? I would personally like to see factions fighting each other, or at least hearing about it. Maybe even the ability to fight the the leader of a group and when he gets killed the faction splits 2 or 3 ways and become weaker, but potentially becoming stronger over time.

Grimandevil

when u have guests from different factions, and they're hostile to each other, they actually fight.
regarding other things u describe, as long as there aint any travel system, its all irrelevant.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Reddeath96

True, but what about battles actually having some kind of effect other than "they came and either died or won." And honestly I don't think rimworld really needs the whole travel to another map idea in the regards of the point of survival. It's supposed to be a challenge not "oh raiders are giving me a hard time. I'll just wipe them out at the source." At that point it would be a colonization game not a survival sim.

erdrik

Some would like to see a heavier nod towards a colonization game.

I agree that a travel system or generating new maps is unnecessary.
But not for the reasons you posted. For me its because the focus is your colony, and I think the focus should remain there.

I think adding expeditions beyond your colony could work, but I would want it to be something you don't control.
You just pick a group of colonists, equip and send them off, and hope they return.

I would like to see more interaction between your colony and the factions.
Killing a pawn that belongs to one faction should have an impact on your relations to factions that are their allies/enemies.

Capturing a Pirate, then freeing said Pirate should have an impact on your relations with both the Pirates and the other towns/tribes on the world. Maybe some towns/tribes see it as you being humane and agree with it. The Pirates should never be anything but hostile, but maybe they will afford you a bit more "honor".
Or maybe the more cynical towns/tribes will see the action as letting a dangerous person free to harm their towns/tribes.

I would love an event where your colony gets a tip that Pirates or some other threat is going to attack one of the other towns/tribes, and you are given a deadline. If you gather a group and send it out before the deadline you could help defend their town/tribe similar to how they sometimes help yours.
It would be like I said above: pick a group of colonists, equip and send them off, and hope they return.

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: Reddeath96 on March 21, 2016, 08:07:25 PM
True, but what about battles actually having some kind of effect other than "they came and either died or won." And honestly I don't think rimworld really needs the whole travel to another map idea in the regards of the point of survival. It's supposed to be a challenge not "oh raiders are giving me a hard time. I'll just wipe them out at the source." At that point it would be a colonization game not a survival sim.
I am A lobbyist for moving between squares. A, May I remind you that these other factions have a much higher population from you, good luck defending; Let alone attacking, and b; it could be easily balanced. Increase the map size abit, and suddenly, if you need to go through every single square to get to that base, traveling becomes somthing that needs to be planed. And anyways, if you don't like it, you don't need to use it. If it was implemented.

A Friend

Here's a couple of my ideas.

Faction types would have different variants. Each would interact with your colony in a different way. I'm thinking of at least 3.

Pirates could have:
- A strong pirate group that would mostly threaten you for resources and items.
- A bunch of mercenaries that you could hire.
- A weak group that would only attack you during early game until you get stronger.

Tribals could have:
- A mysterious isolated tribe that would rarely interact with the outside world.
- War oriented tribes that uses scavenged guns, explosives, animals and numbers.
- A pacifist agricultural tribe that trades medicine, animals and relics with you.

Outlanders could have:
- Trading based community.
- A jealous community that secretly hates their fellow neighbors.
- A paranoid community that may sometimes trade powerful guns and relics with you.

Now it may sounds pretty meh. But step two would be better faction interactions and this is where they would shine most.

Now just imagine these scenario,

1. You just started the game and the strong pirate group arrives with charge rifles and captured centipedes. They force you to give them a set amount of resources every week or they butcher you. But in turn, they scare off the weak raiders and the paranoid outlanders won't trade with you.

Months pass, the resources the raiders want is getting absurd and you're getting sick of it. You get the option to contact the weak raiders who also hates their guts and strike a deal. A day before the strong group arrives to collect your offer. The weak raiders sends about 10-20 pirates waiting around your home zones and behind some mountains and trees as ambush. The strong group arrives on your front door. You deny them their demands and they get obliterated by numerous gunfire.

Assuming they're still alive. The weak group may reveal that they sabotaged your power systems and turn on you or they may just leave with the strong group's weapons. But either way, the strong group doesn't threaten you anymore.

2. The strong group arrives with a vengeance. You're outnumbered and outgunned. You contact the local bloodthirsty war tribe and insult him with the message "fite me m8". Them being extremely dumb and over confident, they arrive an hour later and they fight with the raiders. You crush whichever group remains.

3. Early game, you established trade with this cool mining community. But a jealous community hates them and strikes a deal with you to ambush them in return for $$$ and some plasteel. You sell them out and you get discounts from the cool mining community.

4. and more
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

humblebundle

I would totaly love to have the option to visit the other fractions and maybe steal some stuff or colonists.
But sadly, you can't do anything else except beeing on your map.
Would be great to have added random fractions from other players maps/creations.

But seriously, the names of the fractions are always weird sick...at least in german.
english is not my main language, that should explain a lot...

Shinzy

Quote from: humblebundle on March 22, 2016, 06:15:43 AMBut seriously, the names of the fractions are always weird sick...at least in german.

Yes they are!

Reddeath96

Quote from: Pactrick Willis on March 21, 2016, 10:54:43 PM
Quote from: Reddeath96 on March 21, 2016, 08:07:25 PM
I am A lobbyist for moving between squares. A, May I remind you that these other factions have a much higher population from you, good luck defending; Let alone attacking, and b; it could be easily balanced. Increase the map size abit, and suddenly, if you need to go through every single square to get to that base, traveling becomes somthing that needs to be planed. And anyways, if you don't like it, you don't need to use it. If it was implemented.
I didn't say I wouldn't use it, I'm just saying that it isn't neccesary for something like this to work effectively. But yes I would love to see my colonists going across the map and starting fights or trading.