It Just Wouldn't Die...

Started by woolfoma, March 13, 2016, 07:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woolfoma

83 Pistol hits
4 Rifle hits
2 Shotgun hits
? Hits on the destroyed sensor (approx. 4 more pistols shots, no other weapons hit it)

It still wouldn't die... WHY WON'T IT JUST DIIIEEEEE!!!!!
WHY!!!!!!
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

Shad

falcongrey

Yeah, those squirrels are the deadliest thing in the game! Of course you have to kill those before trying to tackle those CentiMechs... Nasty little buggers!
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

falconbunker

Are you sure that is not a tank in disguise as a centipede?

Keychan

Mechaniods are suppose to be intelligent combat AI.  See how none of the pawns are dead or incapacitated.  Even they know eliminating squirrels is top priority.

Also, I find the reason why Centipedes are so hard to kill is that they have all so many body parts, the rings mainly, that it's hard to completely destroy a vital part.

Shurp

Note that most of the wounds are pistol wounds.  That's part of the problem.  Don't bring a pistol to a machinegun fight :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

porcupine

I look at this picture, and I already know who dies. 

Rubio takes a shot in the back of the head from Victor, guaranteed!

Lerxst

Dev console. This is the one and only random event I cheat past since it usually happens when I'm still carrying pistols and knives.

porcupine

Quote from: Lerxst on March 14, 2016, 12:07:27 AM
Dev console. This is the one and only random event I cheat past since it usually happens when I'm still carrying pistols and knives.

That's no fun.  They're still entirely manageable with pistols and knives in most scenario's, you just have to get creative.  Box 'em in somewhere (IE: with heat), try to lure 'em to attack somebody or something else accidentally, lure 'em somewhere you can have a cave-in occur, explosives, turrets, start disassembling stuff to build a comms. console and beg for help, mass melee and pray for the best, or just wait 'em out and hope some other event plays out that might help, etc.

cultist

Before centipedes had their melee damage buffed, I sometimes used brawlers in power armor to take them out. Getting my first melee kill on a mechanoid was pretty satisfying. I wouldn't recommend it in the current version though.

Shurp

Question: why do you only have pistols and knives?  Surely pirates have dropped a few rifles and combat suppliers have offered a few more for sale before mechanoids show up?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

woolfoma

Quote from: porcupine on March 13, 2016, 10:05:28 PM

Nope, thankfully that didn't happen :)

Quote from: Shad on March 13, 2016, 08:03:35 PM
Not the squirrels!!!
Ik! I had 3 squirrels self-tame (all separate events) and had trained release on them. they all went down it this brutal battle. Rest in pieces squirrels of war... rest in pieces...

Quote from: Lerxst on March 14, 2016, 12:07:27 AM
I killed it in about another 6 hours. The 50 plasteel (+25 from the other mech) I got went towards a certain plasteel turret currently tearing apart raiders. No one got permanent injuries from the encounter. Everyone went up about 1 level in shooting or more (depending on passion). All in all a good trade off. Though there is actually 2 crashed ship parts that happened back-to-back, so I now need to go deal with the other one :(

Quote from: Shurp on March 14, 2016, 07:01:29 AM
Question: why do you only have pistols and knives?  Surely pirates have dropped a few rifles and combat suppliers have offered a few more for sale before mechanoids show up?
Nope, sadly all the raiders were carrying were grenades and swords (the snipers hung back and then fled when their friends died) and all the combat suppliers charge an arm and 3 lungs for a pistol. I'm just over a year in and the only weapons I've gained have been shotguns, pistols, and grenades... I'm mainly relying on turrets to do the bulk of my fighting, which doesn't help me when I need to take out crashed ship parts.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

mumblemumble

Yes,  centipedes in particularly are tanky for several reasons.

One,  they are not organic. This means no pain, bleeding,  shock,  or weaker biological functions which can be crippled to incapacitate the host as easily. Compared to Raiders,  its much harder,  because theres no pain incap,  bleed out,  infection,  ect.

2nd, they are massive,  and have many useless parts,  which are meaningless to hit. Unless you destroy the processor,  or a couple other parts,  it won't drop.

My advice is to use high damage weapons... Grenades would help, they hit hard compared to pistols,  and that is what you want,  so a hit will break something 
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Listen1

I like this kind of enemy, another thing that worked was grenades, since they hit multiple body parts. I tried derping the centipede with a jogger and other colonist started trowing grenades behind cover. Worked pretty well.

Also, grenades work wonders to defend small corridors and to kill some wild hunter packs in the doorway. And hunting. *giggle*

Limdood

Quote from: porcupine on March 13, 2016, 10:05:28 PM

As far as I'm aware, and what i've seen playing dozens of playthroughs has circumstantially proven it, you won't accidentally hit someone in a tile adjacent to them.

I've often set up 2 adjacent rows of pawns, with the back row shooting thru the front row with no issues (other than enemy misses getting easy accidental hits on my other pawns).  But when i set up a third row, my back row would occasionally hit the front row.

This can be useful if you have shielded pawns directly in front of shooters, but you're still better off spreading out (and merely making the shielded pawns in their own cover, closest to enemy) - simply because a missed shot AT mr. shield can hit mr. sniper