It Just Wouldn't Die...

Started by woolfoma, March 13, 2016, 07:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine

Quote from: Limdood on March 14, 2016, 11:10:01 AM
Quote from: porcupine on March 13, 2016, 10:05:28 PM
I look at this picture, and I already know who dies. 

Rubio takes a shot in the back of the head from Victor, guaranteed!

As far as I'm aware, and what i've seen playing dozens of playthroughs has circumstantially proven it, you won't accidentally hit someone in a tile adjacent to them.

I've had an endless spree of 1 space away shots from adjacent pawns.

Maybe my guys have scores to settle, or bad aim, but that's why I said it.  My first reaction was "BOOM! headshot! ... oh crap, sorry about that buddy!", for my pawns had a fetish for shooting each other, and it wasn't even in Cheney style hunting accidents :D

skullywag

that shouldnt happen I thought projectile dont check for an intercept until halfway though their intended travel.....lemmee check.

if (this.ticksToImpact < this.StartingTicksToImpact / 2 && !this.def.projectile.alwaysFreeIntercept)
{
  return false;
}

If the ticks until its supposed to impact are less than half of what they started with it does not impact. So if youre seeing 1 tile away impacts when aiming at things 2 or more cells away thats a bug.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

porcupine

Quote from: skullywag on March 14, 2016, 11:50:23 AM
that shouldnt happen I thought projectile dont check for an intercept until halfway though their intended travel.....lemmee check.

if (this.ticksToImpact < this.StartingTicksToImpact / 2 && !this.def.projectile.alwaysFreeIntercept)
{
  return false;
}

If the ticks until its supposed to impact are less than half of what they started with it does not impact. So if youre seeing 1 tile away impacts when aiming at things 2 or more cells away thats a bug.

Could be that they were close combat hits with Tribals climbing the sandbags, or it could be a bug.  I have't played in a good while, so its hard to recall, I just remember it happening frequently enough to make me re-consider my loadout/deployment strategy :).

falcongrey

Quote from: woolfoma on March 14, 2016, 07:09:55 AM
Rest in pieces squirrels of war... rest in pieces...

The Squirrels of War.... sounds like an Epic Novel to me!  :o
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

woolfoma

Quote from: falcongrey on March 14, 2016, 12:28:37 PM
Quote from: woolfoma on March 14, 2016, 07:09:55 AM
Rest in pieces squirrels of war... rest in pieces...

The Squirrels of War.... sounds like an Epic Novel to me!  :o
I was going to turn it into 40-50 squirrels... It would have been GLORIOUS!

;_;
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

Limdood

Quote from: porcupine on March 14, 2016, 12:20:21 PM
Quote from: skullywag on March 14, 2016, 11:50:23 AM

{
  return false;
}

Could be that they were close combat hits with Tribals climbing the sandbags, or it could be a bug.  I have't played in a good while, so its hard to recall, I just remember it happening frequently enough to make me re-consider my loadout/deployment strategy :).

I forgot to say in my earlier post.  Yes, i have had shooting accidents in the following situation:
S=my shooter
M=my melee
E=Enemy melee

[M][E]

My shooter has hit my melee in the above situation...i didn't think it was collision...i had thought it was a miss that had scattered backwards 1 square.  Upon reading that a bullet can collide after travelling halfway...well...now i see TWO ways i could pop my guy in the head in the above example.

Barley

Frag Grenades. Nothing but frag grenades and unarmed guys with personal shields. A grenade harms multiple mechaniod parts at a time, so while your colonists couldn't kill the centipede because they would hit non-lethal areas like "Fifth Ring", "Left Sensor", or "Right Mandible", a frag grenade will hit all those parts and the 2nd ring, the first ring, and the brain.

Meanwhile, you throw the guys with personal shields in front to attract the mechaniod's fire. Keep them spread out and constantly moving while the grenadiers do their work, because some of those mechaniods may have inferno-cannons. Turrets can also fill this role.

If you can get at least 2 grenades and 3 shield generators, your golden. I've seen 3 guys with frags one-volley-kill Centipedes. Be warned, the Scythers are more difficult due to their pinpoint accurate firing, so you'll need more/stronger shields to deal with them. Alternatively, have weapons racks outside with the grenades and shields ready, and have your soldiers carrying charge rifles, LMGs, survivl rifles, pistols, etc. You can dispatch the Scythers with concentrated bullet fire from behind cover, then move to grenadier-shields when the centipedes catch up.

Mechaniods were introduced in part so that you couldn't spam snipers and charge rifles and turrets to solve all your problems. Grenades are the best answer. I suppose you could try explosive traps if your rich, but grenades never run out of ammo.

Shurp

Snipers behind sandbags work fine against minigun and charge blaster equipped centipedes.  It's only the $@#%ing inferno cannons that are a problem, and that only because your colonists run around in circles while on fire screaming "Shoot me!  Shoot me!"
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

keylocke

yea, agreed with the grenadier + shield combo, since it's also effective against a doomstack of centipedes.