Eggs

Started by Mikhail Reign, March 14, 2016, 06:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuschler22

What biome do you get chickens?

I haven't been able to find any, but I usually play on the lush forrest one, I forget what it's called.

AllenWL

Quote from: nuschler22 on March 25, 2016, 02:43:18 PM
What biome do you get chickens?

I haven't been able to find any, but I usually play on the lush forrest one, I forget what it's called.
Chickens come in a event, or are bought from traders. They, like other farm animals(cows, pigs) do not spawn in the wild.

nuschler22

Thanks.

I did see pigs and cattle on a trader along with other animals.  I just the thought they were biome specific and I wasn't in the right one.

Good to know. :)

nuschler22

It might have been said, but I can't find it.  Hopefully someone won't mind walking me through something.  I'm not familiar at all with animals, especially chickens. I don't know how to milk, get wool, etc.

I have a chicken pen set up.  I have two hens and a rooster.  There are now three eggs in the pen.  Do I leave the eggs in the pen?  Should I move them somewhere if I want more chickens to hatch?  I believe all three are fertilized.  I notice they keep disappearing with nothing to show for it. 

I realize I can use them as food, but I'd rather grow my chicken pen.

And if you could provide any tips for a person new to the animal portion of the game.

Thank you! :)

HartfulFlash

Eggs will degrade if left outside. Make a stockpile indoors, like in your freezer, and they won't degrade and they'll hatch safely. The new chicks should have the same restrictions as the grown chickens so they'll instantly start running to the pen when hatched.

nuschler22

AllenWL

Also, make sure your animal handler's aren't taking the eggs to tame/train other animals.

Mikhail Reign

Eggs laid OUTSIDE the home zone are automatically marked forbidden. This is really handy to make sure that some eggs aren't picked up and will hatch.