A few questions on everyones take on traits

Started by LeoTessa, March 16, 2016, 06:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoTessa

What schedule do you guys (exactly) give to night owl colonists?
Would you do the same for abrasive ones to keep them off from most people?

Is a learning speed of a too smart, 0 fires better than a 1 fire colonist?

I have a jealous colonists and the best room is a hospital. since it has multiple beds in it, she obtains a shared bedroom debuff + interrupted sleep (cant ever get rid of that :/) if I transfer her somewhere else, she gets her jealousy debuff, what do you do in these situations?

Reddeath96

The only one I can answer for sure is three. If you have a jealous colonist they just want a better room than everyone else. I suggest carpet, the larger size bed, a sculptor, and maybe some potted plants. They just need a more impressive bedroom than everyone else.

MarcTheMerc

Im tolerant of most, but abrasive people get turned into soup.
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

Thane

Largely ignore them unless it's Nightowl or Prosthophile. In which case I pander to them. If a colonist breaks regularly well, time to put a happywire in their brain, or shove them off to the freezer.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

mumblemumble

I wonder if maybe colonists who aren't nightowls should get small debuffs if they never see sunlight. not necessarily cabin fever, mind you, as seeing the sun in reality does effect your mood pretty heavily, working graveyard for instance makes people more irate.

AS FOR TRAITS IN GENERAL, I REALLY wish that traits could be gained / lost through significant story events. Say a pacifist gets his brother decapitated infront of him, perhaps the rage at the event might get rid of his pacifism, or perhaps severe trauma could cause neurosis, or whatever. I really hate having static traits, and I think it would look so much cooler for character growth if traits could be modified.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

JimmyAgnt007

I hate brawlers who have a oddly high shooting skill and low melee skill.

I wish the prepare carefully mod was in stock.  If people want random colonists then great, others want something specific and making them randomize a hundred times is just tedious.

Also some traits should be lost or gained during gameplay.

Barley

I prefer to launch right into the game without preparation. That way I have the extra challenge of working around my colonist's quirks instead of just avoiding them.

Give night owls sleep time from 9:00 to 16:00. Then try to adjust your schedules so that the Night Owl's free time coincides with other colonist's free time. This insures social interaction bonuses.

Cooks should wake up 3 or 4 hours earlier than the other colonists. This way they can prepare food before everyone wakes up. You can give them a regular schedule after the meals build up, but I find it helps in the event of low food to prevent colonists from eating raw ingredients.

Abrasive colonists are given night Owl shifts, but try to further skew the schedule so that they never share free time with others. Having a night force is also nice when your sick of staring at sleeping colonists 1/3 of the time.

Grimandevil

Quote from: LeoTessa on March 16, 2016, 06:40:37 AM
What schedule do you guys (exactly) give to night owl colonists?
Would you do the same for abrasive ones to keep them off from most people?
i tend to make day shifts (for majority) and night shifts (doing independent tasks, like cleaning, crafting, prep meals for next morning, etc). works well.

as for jealousy, its a minor debuff he can live with.
take a note at furniture quality, make one room with all excellent furniture (most ppl just make a box room with a bed crammed in it..). take your best builder and try making high quality furniture, if not - deconstruct and build again.
doenst have to be sculptures, to make a rich bedroom.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

LeoTessa

Well, again, my best place is a hospital and im getting the "shared bedroom" problem for some wierd reason

Abbrasive for the night shift i guess

Grimandevil

Quote from: LeoTessa on March 16, 2016, 03:50:53 PM
Well, again, my best place is a hospital and im getting the "shared bedroom" problem for some wierd reason
because of multiple beds.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

erdrik

Quote from: Grimandevil on March 16, 2016, 03:12:10 PM
take a note at furniture quality, make one room with all excellent furniture (most ppl just make a box room with a bed crammed in it..). take your best builder and try making high quality furniture, if not - deconstruct and build again.
^ This.
You don't even have to deconstruct and rebuild.
Beds can be uninstalled and reinstalled freely.
Just go through and make sure your jealous colonist has the best bed among your colonist rooms.
Depending on what else you got in their rooms, you may need to add or switch out more furniture.

EDIT:
Just remembered you can also manually assign beds to colonists, so going through all your rooms and giving the jealous colonist the most impressive room works too. Unless you've built all your rooms to have the exact same impressiveness?

Shurp

Keep in mind you don't have to tell your colonists when to sleep.  Just set them to "anything" and they'll sleep when they're tired.  Although I don't know if nightowls are smart enough to sleep in the daytime...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

LeoTessa

Quote from: Grimandevil on March 16, 2016, 04:01:18 PM
Quote from: LeoTessa on March 16, 2016, 03:50:53 PM
because of multiple beds.

I already know that, so im just taking the lightest consquence, after all, im not uninstalling my medical beds because theyre more useful when ready at all times, but thats the most impressive place.

Tynan better fix this, no colonists sleeps there and you still get a debuff :/

forumaccount

Quote from: Shurp on March 16, 2016, 07:39:20 PM
Keep in mind you don't have to tell your colonists when to sleep.  Just set them to "anything" and they'll sleep when they're tired.  Although I don't know if nightowls are smart enough to sleep in the daytime...
Hm, that's a cool idea. How does it work out in the long term? Do they all seem to pick a schedule and stick to it? Drift about randomly? Do they have longer or shorter wake or sleep phases?
Steam Workshop destroys modding communities. Don't let your town become a megastore's parking lot!

w00d

i work with most traits except the Cannot Dumb Labour or haul ones, they get vaporised without the rest of the colony knowing.. after a certain point when the colony can get picky, only the better traits like Optimist, Sanguine etc get thru, everyone else DIAF. ( literally, i burn and HE so much things to avoid the tedium of cremating / burial )