Food plant growing?

Started by SwiftShadow, March 17, 2016, 09:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwiftShadow

Is there a reason to grow 1 plant over the other or you just grow what ever u like most asthetically?

Is one just superior to the others? I know they have different growing times and yields which could make 1 just superior, but i doubt the developer just made 3 other food plants for no reason and left 1 superior to the rest.

I know they have different spoil times but that is insignifficant since i will just make a freezer room and freeze all my food to never spoil.
Also being able to eat raw is also insignifficant since i always have someone cooking food and nobody ever eats anything raw.

So what are the 4 plant types good or bad for?

erdrik

Some provide joy and some don't. And most provide different amounts of nutrition.
Berries for example provide joy and can be eaten raw.
IIRC, Potatoes do not provide joy.

In regards to cooked meals, fine and better provide differing amounts of joy and nutrition.
IIRC Simple does not provide joy, and nutrient paste causes a negative thought.
Each requires a different amount of ingredients, but I don't recall if the nutrients and joy of the ingredients impacts the meal. ...

Mikhail Reign

If you hunt around the forum, someone made a chart once comparing growth times and yeld amounts. I can't remember which, but there was one that stood out amongst the rest.

Khall

Potatoes - Medium growing time (6.188 days) and yield (8 per harvest). Gives negative thoughts if eaten raw. Not affected by soil quality as much as other crops (grows well in poor soil where other crops would struggle, but doesn't get as big a benefit from rich soil or hydroponics).
Best for places where you don't have access to good soil and have to grow on e.g. gravel, such as ice sheets or deserts.

Strawberries - Grows slightly faster (5.3 days) than potatoes, but less yield (6 per harvest). Can be eaten raw with no negative thoughts, and also gives joy when ate. Also not really dependant on soil quality, but still more so than potatoes.
Good for another source of joy (cheapest way to get "gluttonous" type joy") or if you can't keep up on meals.

Rice - Fast growing (4.89 days), low yield (6 per harvest). Gives negative thoughts if eaten raw. Soil fertility is a big factor in growth time.
Best grown in hydroponic tables (has 170% growth bonus, compared to potatoes (128%) and strawberries (142%) or rich soil to provide a fast, steady source of food.

Corn - Long growing time (13.68 days), but high yield (22 per harvest). Can be eaten raw with no negative thoughts. Also very dependant on soil fertility. Can only be grown on soil, not hydroponic tables. Also the plant has 150 hitpoints, unlike the rest which have 85 hitpoints.
If you have access to regular soil or above, corn will give you the largest return.

That should be a pretty good overview unless I've missed something out.

Mikhail Reign

Here we go. Its pretty old, so it probably outdated, but this was the thread I was talking about

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6613.0

EDIT: Damnit that wasn't the right one. There is one that went way in depth on hauling rates, yield, likely hood of blight etc etc...

SwiftShadow

Quote from: Khall on March 17, 2016, 11:15:02 PM
Potatoes - Medium growing time (6.188 days) and yield (8 per harvest). Gives negative thoughts if eaten raw. Not affected by soil quality as much as other crops (grows well in poor soil where other crops would struggle, but doesn't get as big a benefit from rich soil or hydroponics).
Best for places where you don't have access to good soil and have to grow on e.g. gravel, such as ice sheets or deserts.

Strawberries - Grows slightly faster (5.3 days) than potatoes, but less yield (6 per harvest). Can be eaten raw with no negative thoughts, and also gives joy when ate. Also not really dependant on soil quality, but still more so than potatoes.
Good for another source of joy (cheapest way to get "gluttonous" type joy") or if you can't keep up on meals.

Rice - Fast growing (4.89 days), low yield (6 per harvest). Gives negative thoughts if eaten raw. Soil fertility is a big factor in growth time.
Best grown in hydroponic tables (has 170% growth bonus, compared to potatoes (128%) and strawberries (142%) or rich soil to provide a fast, steady source of food.

Corn - Long growing time (13.68 days), but high yield (22 per harvest). Can be eaten raw with no negative thoughts. Also very dependant on soil fertility. Can only be grown on soil, not hydroponic tables. Also the plant has 150 hitpoints, unlike the rest which have 85 hitpoints.
If you have access to regular soil or above, corn will give you the largest return.

That should be a pretty good overview unless I've missed something out.

So basically
Corn for rich soil
Potato for usual soil
Rice for hydroponic tables
and strawberry.... is still useless since i never have problems making fine meals after the first month or so.