Learning C#

Started by Cpt.Fupa, March 17, 2016, 09:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt.Fupa

I've wanted to learn how to code C# for a while, are there any good interactive programs or videos that could help me learn? I'm really new to programing so I have no idea where to start.

milon

I don't know C# myself, but google tells me there's all kinds of resources for learning it.  You may want to start with something a little simpler, though, if you don't know the basics yet.  I'm not making suggestions about what's "simpler" because everyone has their own opinions about that.

Regardless, I did find this link for you with some recommended C# learning sites:
https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-website-like-Codecademy-for-C

Alistaire

The best thing you can do to learn C# is to learn it doing something in C#. If your aim is to mod RimWorld C# code, start doing that. If you want
to write applications in C#, start doing that. General knowledge about a programming language is probably one of the least useful things to have
when you want to do something specific with it - even though C# is a single language, each implementation of it is very different.

I personally never had any application for C# and therefore did not learn it until I started modding RimWorld though you might find the same
thing happening to you for any programming language and any application for it - with computer science being an applied science it really does
not help you to start out reading 1000 page references on a programming language before taking a bash at your goal without such a reference.

If you had computer science in high school you'd get assignments from your teacher to write sites, maybe even applications, with as little help as
possible from said teacher so you have an incentive to actually apply all the knowledge you gather from copying hello world code from some
tutorial. The only time I would actually recommend learning C# from theory is when you take like a university level course on it, however chances
are you're still expected to apply the theory as you learn it.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Alistaire on March 20, 2016, 06:21:42 AM
The best thing you can do to learn C# is to learn it doing something in C#. If your aim is to mod RimWorld C# code, start doing that. If you want
to write applications in C#, start doing that. General knowledge about a programming language is probably one of the least useful things to have
when you want to do something specific with it
- even though C# is a single language, each implementation of it is very different.
This so much...

From my experience, All those little CSS and HTML help pages you see online are so insanely useless, It isn't until you properly start doing something with them that you actually 'learn' any of it, Having a jumble of terms and syntax is no good unless you have an objective in mind.

Arguably the same applies of some of the more more complicated (more complicated than HTML and CSS atleast) languages aswell, the little amount I've done with Java, Javascript and LUA, you just need an objective!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

skullywag

Can attest the the above. Didnt know c# or any other c based language until Rimworld (note i do program in other languages though) once youve figured out the structure its more a case of learning the methods available to you in the games classes. Tynan has a added a lot of helpful methods. Take an idea. Get your mod structure setup and start but dont expect it to be quick or easy or even completeable, dont be afraid to ask for help, but only ask specifics and dont expect to have the code writen for you. :)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Listen1

Quote from: Alistaire on March 20, 2016, 06:21:42 AM
General knowledge about a programming language is probably one of the least useful things to have

Uhm... I believe that the knowledge about the programming software dosen't matter that much, but the programming logic, how to read lines, how to make loops, conditions and etc etc, is one of the best things I learned on my life.

I learned how to program in Python, which is very, very easy to learn, and I took that logic to my current job, as sales engineer. It makes things much simpler.

But your best teacher is yourself, if don't punch these lines of code, you will never be able to program anything.

Cpt.Fupa

I think I'll try to make a mod for Rimworld, I just want to know what I should use to create the textures for this mod and what I should use to edit the code.

RawCode

you can't learn c# from videos period

Quotehttps://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-website-like-Codecademy-for-C
wrong

Quotehttps://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/67ef8sbd.aspx
correct

QuoteGeneral knowledge about a programming language is probably one of the least useful things
lal

Quoteeven though C# is a single language, each implementation of it is very different
are you sure?

QuoteHTML and CSS
are markup languages, not scripting\programming ones.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

StorymasterQ

This is off topic, but I'd like to add to the discussion that currently I'm learning Ruby (and Rails) and it's really proving its reputation of being "opinionated."

For every question, the answer is "it depends", even if the question is "who should you ask".
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Alistaire

Quote from: skyalert32 on March 29, 2016, 10:39:51 AM
I think I'll try to make a mod for Rimworld, I just want to know what I should use to create the textures for this mod and what I should use to edit the code.

Recommended software on the wiki has some suggestions. The entire Modding tutorials section may help you as well.
Furthermore, Setting up a solution is the first in a series of tutorials that help you get some hurdles out of the way when
you start out modding in C#.

Cpt.Fupa

Quote from: Alistaire on March 30, 2016, 07:12:56 AM
Quote from: skyalert32 on March 29, 2016, 10:39:51 AM

Recommended software on the wiki has some suggestions. The entire Modding tutorials section may help you as well.
Furthermore, Setting up a solution is the first in a series of tutorials that help you get some hurdles out of the way when
you start out modding in C#.

I'll find time to work on a mod this weekend, you've been very helpful, thanks!

Swatacular

I am in a small community where the host of the community had made some tutorials (which is why i joined).
I learned everything I know from there, and created a few indie games since learning in 2012.
http://rbwhitaker.wikidot.com/c-sharp-tutorials

lingmaaki

Hope the following website will help you to learn c#...

http://net-informations.com

Ling