What do you do with marsh?

Started by SwiftShadow, March 18, 2016, 04:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwiftShadow

I wanted to try the Boreal forest biome, but when i got into it i saw that like 2/5 of the world is all marsh. When i played tropical rainforest i had a tiny bit of marsh and it annoyed me.

2/5 of unusable land that makes me move at 36% speed on it and it being 2/5 of the map makes me just not want to play Boreal forest....

I also dont like living in a mountain because that is easy mode, i prefer large hils to be 1/3 in a mountain and 2/3 on the field.

Mikhail Reign

Maybe try a different seed then?

SwiftShadow

So marsh is totally useless? Cant build anything on it, can remove it, cant grow anything on it, cant use it for anything and nothing grows on it.

Mikhail Reign

There is a few more that add the pump back into the game. They slowly turn mud into marshy soil, and the description says they they also do something about marsh. They aren't a buldable item, instead they are an object that you instal (like tv's). Balances them out quiet nicely I thought.

Khall

Only use I found for it was to set up defences on the edge of marshes and force raiders to go through it. They should be cut down before they get anywhere near you. Of course it depends on the layout of the map if it is possible.

Devon_v

I rarely see marsh in boreal forests. Maybe try a different spot.

cultist

Marsh is not especially prevalent in Boreal. You probably just got unlucky, try a new seed/location.

A Friend

Other than defensive measures like Khall said, I build wind turbines beside them.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Grimandevil

personally i love boreal forests.
marshes are great, if u play w/o killbox and have to rely on terrain to fend off attacks.
if it's still a problem for ya, u can try this mod.
there is also mod that allows for concrete foundations construction.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

w00d

i tried using Marsh as a kill box type area but it was only useful in small engagements, by mid game the sheer numbers of the attackers forces you to build standard tunnels and kill boxes as the speed slow of the marshes as well as the ease they can tunnel, knock down walls or simply not be forced into compressed deathballs makes marshes in the long run less useful than 2 layer deep walls.

Boston

Quote from: w00d on March 19, 2016, 07:21:35 AM
i tried using Marsh as a kill box type area but it was only useful in small engagements, by mid game the sheer numbers of the attackers forces you to build standard tunnels and kill boxes as the speed slow of the marshes as well as the ease they can tunnel, knock down walls or simply not be forced into compressed deathballs makes marshes in the long run less useful than 2 layer deep walls.

Entirely debatable.

I have fought off 25 vs 1 raids without using the classical killbox. Of course, you have to mod the hell out of Rimworld to do so, but it is possible.

Use Combat Realism and Combat Realism-Defense. CR makes it so you don't need 700 bullets to put people down, and CR-D gives you things like barbed wire (which slows down attackers) and "embrasures:, which are basically walls with arrowslits, so you can fire in (relative. My pawn has taken an arrow to the face before) safety.

You use the terrain and things like rubble, barbed wire, and so on to slow down and concentrate attackers. Once you kill/down a decent portion of the attackers, the rest will flee.

No gaming of the AI, forcing them through one door into the waiting sights of 10 turrets.

Shurp

It's not too hard to survive without killboxes provided you have friendly relations with the tribals.  When pirates and mechs attack your base all you need is a sparse turret perimeter around your entire base (with a perimeter wall about 20 squares out from the turret to prevent your turrets from getting sniped).  The enemies will concentrate fire on your turrets while your colonists chew up the attackers.

But I can see that this strategy could be a problem on marsh, where the swamp breaks up your perimeter and makes a portion difficult to defend.  Consider it an extra challenge.  Hmmm, makes me want to try a forest on my next game.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Grimandevil

u can also place some spare shells or IEDs in strategic points, detonating them in the right time, while raiders wading thru the marsh.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Boston

Quote from: Shurp on March 19, 2016, 08:36:12 AM
It's not too hard to survive without killboxes provided you have friendly relations with the tribals.  When pirates and mechs attack your base all you need is a sparse turret perimeter around your entire base (with a perimeter wall about 20 squares out from the turret to prevent your turrets from getting sniped).  The enemies will concentrate fire on your turrets while your colonists chew up the attackers.

But I can see that this strategy could be a problem on marsh, where the swamp breaks up your perimeter and makes a portion difficult to defend.  Consider it an extra challenge.  Hmmm, makes me want to try a forest on my next game.

Agreed. Making friends with all, or even most, of the tribes is long-term priority #1.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Boston on March 19, 2016, 07:48:27 AM
Quote from: w00d on March 19, 2016, 07:21:35 AM

Entirely debatable.

I have fought off 25 vs 1 raids without using the classical killbox. Of course, you have to mod the hell out of Rimworld to do so, but it is possible.

Use Combat Realism and Combat Realism-Defense. CR makes it so you don't need 700 bullets to put people down, and CR-D gives you things like barbed wire (which slows down attackers) and "embrasures:, which are basically walls with arrowslits, so you can fire in (relative. My pawn has taken an arrow to the face before) safety.

You use the terrain and things like rubble, barbed wire, and so on to slow down and concentrate attackers. Once you kill/down a decent portion of the attackers, the rest will flee.

No gaming of the AI, forcing them through one door into the waiting sights of 10 turrets.

How are the 2 things you described any different? One is just defence in depth, while the other is a killzone. Both are combat tactics.