Mod Request- No power Crafting Benches.

Started by Pactrick Willis, March 18, 2016, 02:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pactrick Willis

Ok, So this has always bugged me. To craft weapons, (Long sword etc) You need to have power. Why? For literally all of mankind's history up until 1850, Everything involved no electricity. So this is what I'm asking, If someone could make a mod that adds a smithing bench, That takes a shit ton of time to craft anything, but doesn't need power, that would be great. Also, If someone could tell me possibly how to do it myself, That would also be appreciated. 

Toggle

It would probably also need a really, realllyyyy hot fire and smithing experience.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on March 18, 2016, 04:47:48 PM
It would probably also need a really, realllyyyy hot fire and smithing experience.
Yeah, I know A fire would be needed. And also, Good Idea with the smiting skill lock, However, Isn't that tied with the recipe def and not the thing def?

cuproPanda

I've been thinking about doing something like this as an addon for my Powerless! mod, considering it already has charcoal and smithing fits into the theme. The only issue for me was that it would be pretty limited as to what I would want to be craftable; you can make swords and such, but making guns is a bit much using medieval tools.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: cuproPanda on March 19, 2016, 12:12:18 AM
I've been thinking about doing something like this as an addon for my Powerless! mod, considering it already has charcoal and smithing fits into the theme. The only issue for me was that it would be pretty limited as to what I would want to be craftable; you can make swords and such, but making guns is a bit much using medieval tools.
I would love that! Crafting guns would be a bit to much, But perhaps medieval weapons such as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_cannon this, which was made without any electricity. But I would be perfectly happy with swords and bows to craft without power.

JT

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on March 18, 2016, 04:47:48 PM

Depends.  We've been cold-wrighting even iron for centuries, although the amount of work involved is profound, since the only mallets you can use that are hard enough (under traditional methods) have to be made of polished stone.  Copper and bronze of course are more malleable and were the originals.  Brass is a bit too stiff and was usually cast and then "machined" down with hand tools.

A simple anvil ought to be enough for basic bronzeworking and ironworking, although it would likely have a substantial speed penalty applied to anyone using it (as little as 5-10% work efficiency).  Since we mine compacted steel from the crashed ships of ancient civilisations, however, some sort of fuel source would be necessary for the general case.  Essentially, something like the campfire with an automated job to "restoke" it whenever it is depleted (which can be suspended, of course), would work swimmingly for metalcrafting. The goal isn't to smelt the metal and cast it, but merely to heat it to the point where it is more ductile to forge it.  Blacksmithing is of course more efficient if you have access to a bellows to oxygenate the coals so they burn hotter, and the ability to temper the metal with water, but anything under steel can be softened with high heat and be cold wrought (even steel begins to soften at around 450 degrees Celsius and is twice as soft at 600 degrees Celsius -- too high for a normal fire, but well within the capability of a blacksmith's forge).

[edit]Fact checking, it looks as though campfires do burn hot enough to get well above 600 degrees Celsius -- but not hot enough to melt the constituent parts together if all you have is pig iron and charcoal.  So if you already have steel, I think you're good to go!

cuproPanda

Just wanted to drop in and say that I updated my Powerless mod today, which adds the forge. Currently the gladius, longsword, knife, spear, and mace are craftable there. I also added a bellows as a facility, boosting the work speed by 20%.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

Pactrick Willis

Quote from: cuproPanda on March 30, 2016, 11:54:01 PM
Just wanted to drop in and say that I updated my Powerless mod today, which adds the forge. Currently the gladius, longsword, knife, spear, and mace are craftable there. I also added a bellows as a facility, boosting the work speed by 20%.
Nice. Maybe you could team up with This mod. I think it would work out great. Thanks again.

AllenWL

just wondering, but is there a particular reason why clubs, pila, and bows are omitted? Considering how all items from the smiting bench are melee/medieval weapons, I don't see why some should be removed and some not.

cuproPanda

Quote from: AllenWL on April 01, 2016, 05:06:23 AM
just wondering, but is there a particular reason why clubs, pila, and bows are omitted? Considering how all items from the smiting bench are melee/medieval weapons, I don't see why some should be removed and some not.
I plan on making a survival variant of clubs and pila for the simple crafting table, which is where bows and shivs are currently craftable.