How do you guys make money?

Started by SwiftShadow, March 19, 2016, 11:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwiftShadow

I find that doing sculptures takes WAAAAAAAY too much time. (unless the material i make them matters and i make it with the wrong material, i used marble.)

So when i start i try to get someone with high animal skill, capture and sell them, muffalos fetch a great price for their wildness.

I also chop up all humans and sell human leather or have human leather stuff made and sell them.

If i am on a biome with all year growing time, i sell potatoes, corn or rice.

Any other ways to make money that i missed?

Reddeath96

I'm not sure how much silver it gives you, but you can try smelting weapons. I have ended up with several silver maces of awful quality that contain a good amount of silver.

DrPacman

i get a colonist going with crafting, and make surplus clothing from cloth, whenever a trader come around i sell all my cloth clothing (i keep anything made with good material) or i get a dedicated cook and sell surplus simple meals ($6-$7 each, better than raw food if not using meat)

A Friend

Cobra farms.

I sell baby cobras to the market at around 60-90 silver each.
A single cobra pair produces like 6-8 eggs which hatches after about a month.

It was my main source of income on an empty tundra map once...
Aside from skinning visitors and trespassers alike.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

SwiftShadow

Quote from: A Friend on March 19, 2016, 11:55:19 AM
Cobra farms.

I dunno how ot get them to breed

Daman453

I live on a ice sheet, so when visitors drop, they leave their weapons. And sometimes it's a golden club or shiv. LOT'S OF SILVER IF YOU SMELT IT
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.

A Friend

Quote from: SwiftShadow on March 19, 2016, 12:03:56 PM
Quote from: A Friend on March 19, 2016, 11:55:19 AM
Cobra farms.

I dunno how ot get them to breed

Oh, it sort of just happens randomly. Females lay eggs, and a male should have access to those eggs to fertilize them and make baby cobras.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

JimmyAgnt007

in my mega fortress i produced a lot of cotton/cloth that i just sold as i made it.  Alpaca wool was also good once i got a lot of them.  I also had a surplus freezer for foods to sell

Shurp

hops -> beer.  But you need a big freezer while you wait for the bulk trader or pirates to show up.

Hmmm, but what is the deal with rice and hydroponics?  And what is this "fertility factor"?  It seems like rice grows much faster in hydroponics than anything else.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Grimandevil

Quote from: SwiftShadow on March 19, 2016, 11:23:16 AM
I find that doing sculptures takes WAAAAAAAY too much time. (unless the material i make them matters and i make it with the wrong material, i used marble.)
if u look in the material info, u'll see how much it offsets working.

i sell fish.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Khall

Quote from: Shurp on March 19, 2016, 02:16:38 PM
hops -> beer.  But you need a big freezer while you wait for the bulk trader or pirates to show up.

Hmmm, but what is the deal with rice and hydroponics?  And what is this "fertility factor"?  It seems like rice grows much faster in hydroponics than anything else.

Fertility factor is how much soil quality affects growth rate. Potatoes, for example, have a fertility factor of 0.4, so they only get a small bonus/penalty associated with soil quality. Rice has 1.0 fertility factor (they are the only crop that has it apart from corn, which can't be grown in hydroponics), so they get the full benefit from the tables, but grow very poorly in poor soil.

silenced

I usually try to get an artist, and lock him up making sculptures. They work pretty fast when they hit 20 skill, and make decent worthy results too. It's not that big of an income, but sooner or later you swim in silver and start building with silver.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...

SwiftShadow

Quote from: Grimandevil on March 19, 2016, 03:48:14 PM
Quote from: SwiftShadow on March 19, 2016, 11:23:16 AM
if u look in the material info, u'll see how much it offsets working.

i sell fish.

Wait what u can fish in this game?!

Grimandevil

welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

Limdood

Crops make money....if you overgrow your food, so you have far more than you could ever use at all, you can easily sell large surpluses to bulk traders.  Hops falls into this category too (you can also brew beer which gives about the same per-material bonus as hops, but can be sold to pirates as well).  Using sun lamps in self contained rooms works well to keep crops growing faster than in a regular day/night cycle.

If you have good plant growth around or a high yield tree-farm, you can make big money sculpting from wood....it makes less money than stone, but takes WAY less time.

Some animal breeding setups produce good money.  Chickens breed very fast, but can get crazily out of hand while waiting for a merchant.

Smithing great bows is a pretty strong return on cash vs. time/resources

So here it is:

Pirates:
Great Bows
Beer
Slaves & body parts (imho, not worth the mood penalty)

Bulk Goods:
Hops
Crops
Live Animals
Animal/human leather and human meat (worth the tiny, singular mood penalty)

Exotic Goods:
Sculptures (wood)
dead raiders' clothing
Live Animals

Combat Supplier:
Great Bows
Dead Raider Weapons (only merchant for melee weapons)