What do you do with slate, sandstone and limestone?

Started by SwiftShadow, March 19, 2016, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwiftShadow

Granite is the strongest so it is good for building everything out of.
Marble is the prettiest so i make sculptures out of it if i want to pretty up the place.

What do you do with the 3 other ones? they just seem to be crappier versions of marble or granite

JimmyAgnt007

i use marble for beds, tables, and the walls for bedrooms.

i like slate for some things because its black but i sell it off most of the time along with the other useless stones.

Shurp

The perimeter wall around my base is something like 500-1000 squares long.  So I need all the rock I can get, I don't care which type.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shad

Some maps may have no granite or slate, so any stone works then.

TBH, the bonus of granite is not that great. I mainly build stone walls, be because I want stone walls (i.e non-flammable). If grenade equipped raiders show up, the will blow up any wall, if you give them time.

SwiftShadow

So basically the other 3 stone types are just inferior crap.....

Grimandevil

sculptures for sale. stone type does little difference to prices, and when u have multiple sculptors, u run out of your best material quickly.
welcome to the Rimworld - a world full of cannibal drug-addicted psychos, but free of vegetarians.

asanbr

I don' tknow how you end up with so much stone that you can pick and choose.

I build my outer perimeter, kitchen and hospital and other important rooms with stone walls, I'll take the strongest I have at the moment whatever that is. usually my base ends up being a mix of everything.

I often start with wood and steel walls and then recycle them once I have enough stone to replace.

If I have any spare stone I sometimes build barriers on the map to lead raids into mech ships and other traps, but usually wood is fine and builds faster.

If I'm building something big with wood or steel, I like to mix in a stone wall every 5 or 10 blocks to stop fires .

Oh, and prisons. It's good to keep them fire-safe and stronger than wood or steel.

SwiftShadow

Quote from: asanbr on March 19, 2016, 09:50:34 PM
I don' tknow how you end up with so much stone that you can pick and choose.

I build my outer perimeter, kitchen and hospital and other important rooms with stone walls, I'll take the strongest I have at the moment whatever that is. usually my base ends up being a mix of everything.

I often start with wood and steel walls and then recycle them once I have enough stone to replace.

If I have any spare stone I sometimes build barriers on the map to lead raids into mech ships and other traps, but usually wood is fine and builds faster.

If I'm building something big with wood or steel, I like to mix in a stone wall every 5 or 10 blocks to stop fires .

Oh, and prisons. It's good to keep them fire-safe and stronger than wood or steel.

What do you run out of mountian? and i mean i dont even play on mountanious maps, just large hills.

cultist

Quote from: SwiftShadow on March 19, 2016, 03:31:24 PM

You use whatever's there. Each map only has 3 stone types max I think, so at worst you will have one sub-par rock. And as mentioned, the bonus of granite isn't all that hot. Slate is almost as good, marble has lowest HP. I don't think marble actually adds anything to a sculpture that other rock doesn't so it's techincally the worst.

forumaccount

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on March 19, 2016, 12:48:37 PM
ithe walls for bedrooms.
The room details hover-over thingy doesn't highlight the walls, so i thought colonists don't care about fancy wall materials.
Steam Workshop destroys modding communities. Don't let your town become a megastore's parking lot!

SwiftShadow

Quote from: cultist on March 19, 2016, 11:37:57 PM
Quote from: SwiftShadow on March 19, 2016, 03:31:24 PM

You use whatever's there. Each map only has 3 stone types max I think, so at worst you will have one sub-par rock. And as mentioned, the bonus of granite isn't all that hot. Slate is almost as good, marble has lowest HP. I don't think marble actually adds anything to a sculpture that other rock doesn't so it's techincally the worst.

Marble adds highest beauty ratings

cultist

Quote from: SwiftShadow on March 20, 2016, 01:06:27 AM
Marble adds highest beauty ratings

I know the text description says that but I don't think it actually does. If you look at the cut stones that pawns use for sculpturing, they all have identical stats.

w00d

yeah the description is incorrect, all the stone have similar values in terms of beauty. You can mod it yourself

asanbr

What do you run out of mountian? and i mean i dont even play on mountanious maps, just large hills.

There's always lots lying around on the map, but I don't cut more than I need short term, since it takes time either to haul the rocks or run back and forth to the cutting table. Any other type of crafting could generate money somehow, rocks not so much.

Barley

Marble is definitely great for beauty. However, the rock chunks and blocks do not have material-based beauty bonuses. Only completed products get the Beauty bonus, and floors don't count.

I use the Sandstone, Slate, and Limestone for floors, because all stone floors have the same beauty rating. Granite is for walls and doors, and marble for sculptures, tables, beds, and Joy objects. Wood for quickly erecting and patching temporary structures, as well as all production furniture like butcher tables and chairs. Steel for electricity and defense. Plasteel is reserved for reactors, cryotubes, and ultra-powerful melee swords.

If I'm in a forested or woody biome, extra wood goes into building lots and lots and LOTS of wooden sculptures, which are quick to build and sell for a pretty coin. If not, I again use the limestone/slate/sandstone for art practice. Steel sculptures might be faster but I need that steel for defense and emergency patches.