Building my base around Ancient Structure was a bad idea ...

Started by Chibiabos, May 20, 2016, 12:35:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chibiabos

Not sure what to do with two insects guarding both doors.  I may deconstruct one of my own walls to pop in, I gotta stop that insect from mining the wall into the Ancient Structure or its all over.  This was a bad plan :/

Also does anyone else notice bug infestations ignore your prisoners?
Proud supporter of Rimworld since α7 (October 2014)!

Chibiabos

For those curious about the aftermath:

Fortunately no mechs or other monsters in the ancient structure.  Definitely a high time to replace my wooden walls with stone blocks.

AnDelusionalDog

So did they actually break through their wall to get into your base? im a noob and my current base is using an ancient structure wall as part of it...

Or did you finally open up the ancient structure and they managed to get into your base?

Vaporisor

On the bright side, that is a pretty nice ancient structure and the hole in the wall is perfect door placement.  I would so toss in two more cryptosleeps and flooring to match the rest, then make the upper area a new epic level hospital!

Quote from: AnDelusionalDog on May 20, 2016, 07:32:00 AM
So did they actually break through their wall to get into your base? im a noob and my current base is using an ancient structure wall as part of it...

Or did you finally open up the ancient structure and they managed to get into your base?

Looks like the ruin was sticking out of the mountains and that prison was built slightly under the mountain.  That allowed the insects to spawn in there.  Can see the hive against the south wall.  The big gamble in this situation was imagine if two inferno cannons were in there....
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

Chibiabos

Quote from: AnDelusionalDog on May 20, 2016, 07:32:00 AM

They spawn inside your base if you've tunneled into a hill/mountain to make your base.  For some reason they seem particularly fond of spawning in prison and medical rooms.  They started tunneling into the ancient structure, and I tried to stop them but I wound up fleeing and they were guarding both my doors.  I wound up deconstructing a wall away from those doors to attack at them and had some hard standing fights through my hallways (that bed you saw was, yes, in a hallway).  One of my colonists was incapacitated but all survived.

Its weird the insects will go right next to prisoners and ignore them.

Shurp

So what is with vaults in A13 anyway?  More times than not when I open them there's no mechs inside, and popping open the cryochambers just gives me a bunch of half-dead spacers to assassinate.  Hardly an "Ancient Danger" anymore, more like "ancient boredom".
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Chibiabos

Quote from: Shurp on May 20, 2016, 07:52:53 PM
So what is with vaults in A13 anyway?  More times than not when I open them there's no mechs inside, and popping open the cryochambers just gives me a bunch of half-dead spacers to assassinate.  Hardly an "Ancient Danger" anymore, more like "ancient boredom".

This one had a couple of hostile Space Soldiers, three neutral disabled Space Soldiers and five very healthy Megascarabs