I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

I've already learned useful info from this thread. Please keep it coming.

Another exploit I remembered: You can kill a passing thrumbo without and risk at all, by just building a wall around it. Not as bad as killing traders this way, but still bad.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

RickyMartini

Killing trader animals is worse than killing Thrumbos.

If I look at some muffalos, they come wearing golden swords worth 40k and you only need to enclose them.

Coenmcj

Using 2 or more people when fighting a mechanoid beyond cover, and having one drop behind cover for a split second before coming back out to "reset" the mechanoid's targeting. I'm assuming it would work with other pawns, but generally other pawns have hte same firing speeds or quicker than your own colonists.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Tynan

Quote from: Coenmcj on March 21, 2016, 07:08:14 PM
Using 2 or more people when fighting a mechanoid beyond cover, and having one drop behind cover for a split second before coming back out to "reset" the mechanoid's targeting. I'm assuming it would work with other pawns, but generally other pawns have hte same firing speeds or quicker than your own colonists.

Good to know.

RickyMartini

skullywag

Quote from: Skissor on March 21, 2016, 07:18:28 PM
Btw this is a known exploit since Alpha 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzA-6OrLPas

So time for centipedes to be the tanks they are meant to be and ram down walls?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Tynan

There's a triplet (at least) of exploits revolving around trapping people with walls.

You can trap traders/visitors by building walls around them and letting them starve to death.
You can trap and kill thrumbos by building walls around them and letting them starve to death.
You can cook crashes ship parts and their defenders with a wall enclosure, an incendiary IED, and some wooden beds. Video.

So pawns might have to learn to mine if they detect this scenario.

RickyMartini

How about giving them the behaviour of sappers?

As soon as they have heat stroke, hypothermia, or starvation, they start looking to exit the map and the shortest path gets mined out/deconstructed.

Though it would seem strange for a visitor to start deconstructing his way out of your base/trap. Same with animals, how are animals/mechanoids going to deconstruct things?

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: Skissor on March 21, 2016, 06:53:43 PM
Well, considering you'd have to be able to be skilled enough to hold those warm-weather animals (in ice sheet biome I guess?), I think that exploit is forgivable. :P

Well yeah, but it is so gamey. It relies on you having foreknowledge that those animals will probably die and that the traders won't bat an eyelid. Instead they should be like, "Hey wait a minute wise guy, just how am I supposed to get all these chickens home in this freezing weather before they become popsicles? No deal."

RemingtonRyder

It's technically possible to get someone who doesn't do dumb labour to do a bunch of materials hauling.

For example, you can set a restricted area which doesn't include your existing stockpile of steel, assign a building to be made, and tell them to build it even though the only materials available to do so are halfway across the map.

When they come back with the materials, cancel the job or get them to do something else, and they will drop the materials and walk off. Repeat as needed.

Unfortunately, hauling materials and then using them to build is sort of what a pawn with the Constructor job does all the time. But if you were to close the above exploit, pawns which aren't allowed to haul would still be able to build, they would just have to build things which already have all the materials in place, which is actually still quite labour intensive.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Skissor on March 21, 2016, 07:48:36 PM
how are animals/mechanoids going to deconstruct things?

Considering the lore behind them (Being that some of them were domestically used, assumedly, some would be industrial), I'd say about some of them being ex-mining mechanoids?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Nasikabatrachus

You can trap a wild animal by downing it, rescuing it, and keeping it indoors. For example, this Thrumbo only left my base when I ordered all the doors leading outside to be held open:

http://puu.sh/nPl8Q/4810641383.png

These attacking tribals response to these walls/doors i built outside my base was to take a detour which added four or five times the distance to their journey, spreading them out and making them easier to deal with:

http://puu.sh/nPlio/961f1b19eb.png

This wasn't a No Risk exploit I found, as I had one colonist incapacitated when the tribals finally came round the other side, but I can certainly see how could be exploitable.

I've also found that the fire popper or whatever it's called has a few nifty effects: If you set it off pre-emptively, it will protect almost anything it exploded onto from fire, and enough foam explosions in one area will make pawns move incredibly slowly through all the muck.

RawCode

fire, i take you to burn!

https://youtu.be/022SgHKOoCw

really, fire is winbutton and extremely usefull strategy for everything, all you need is wooden walls and molotovs.

JimmyAgnt007

When animals go crazy and hunt someone, I keep that person running around (when they are faster than the animal) and let others kill the animal.  Animals tend not to go after any other targets once they are locked on.  A small thing but thought id mention it.

keylocke

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on March 21, 2016, 10:53:14 PM
You can trap a wild animal by downing it, rescuing it, and keeping it indoors. For example, this Thrumbo only left my base when I ordered all the doors leading outside to be held open:

i'm not sure this is an exploit. i actually tame animals this way so my colonists don't have to walk very far.

Quote from: RawCode on March 21, 2016, 11:16:40 PM
really, fire is winbutton and extremely usefull strategy for everything, all you need is wooden walls and molotovs.

drawback is that some items end up getting destroyed.