I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

Quote from: letharion on March 22, 2016, 03:02:23 AM
When mechs with miniguns attack, shielded pawns can stand up to them for a long time due to the minigun spread.

Move a shielded pawn up first, until they become targeted. A shield can withstand a single minigun often forever, while non-shielded pawns get plenty of time to shoot from another direction.

The exploit here would be that the mech doesn't detect that the shielded pawn is not a threat, while the multiple pawns with rifles are.
Perhaps a threat/aggro mechanic would be helpful here.

To hell with you Leth, that's the only time shield-gens are useful is to take bullets for my gunners. Oh, you're a colonist who refuses to use weapons? Here, enjoy being my literal cover.

Would be silly to see an aggro system pop in nowish but I guess anything is possible.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

keylocke

well an aggro system (like the way mmorpg bosses behave) would make combat more dynamic and less predictable.

since i also abuse the shielded-bait-running-around-while-others shoot strategy, coz i'm naturally degenerative/exploitative and lazy when playing. lel.

but adding a real aggro system could increase battle difficulty without needing to raise the quantity of attackers.

RawCode

Quote from: Tynan on March 23, 2016, 12:02:00 AM
The problem is the same with a lot of similar issues, which is that there's no really good way to determine *why* an event happened for AI purposes.

As in, a guy starved to death - how do we know it was intentional by the player, and not just because everyone is starving?

A trader starved to death or burned to death - should his faction get angry? How do we know?

I can think of ways try to detect it but it gets tricky.

1) traders lost in colony
2) investigation event
3) where are items and bodies?
4) inside stockpile? well - blame player.
5) still on floor? - well - recover items and blame raiders.

player try to build wall section that will trap trading party - throw warning and set flag, if trading party die afterwards - blame player.

If trading party survive - kay, no punishment.

RickyMartini

That sounds way to complicated for an issue that is just slightly off.

RemingtonRyder

Well, I guess that you could somehow track the origin of injuries back to the original source. For example, lightning starts fire, fire burns trader, trader dies -> nobody's fault, just a tragic accident.

But yeah, as Tynan says, it's not always possible to come to a solid conclusion as to why an event happened to justify making the AI hostile. You could spin a whole new game out of that called CrimeSceneWorld. ;)

Tynan

Quote from: Skissor on March 21, 2016, 05:35:59 PM
Here's my factory:

http://puu.sh/nP1LP/cddecca5fc.png

Bugs die on the traps and the colonists clean and rearm the traps consistently. Jelly factory voila!

Ok, this should be impossible in next build (1122). You may still be able to kill an infinite number of bugs, but you aren't harvesting infinite jelly this way.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

RickyMartini

Noooooooooooooooooooo

I'm conflicted now. Should I further expose exploits or keep them for myself? Hmmm

Tynan

lol.

Well, they'll all get exposed in the long term anyhow.

RickyMartini

Tynan

By my secret exploit finder, o elite private tester.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Tynan on March 24, 2016, 03:46:24 PM
By my secret exploit finder, o elite private tester.

It's a conspiracy! 1122 was an inside job!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

skullywag

Im probably gonna be hated for this, but...

doing anything in diagonal cells should be disallowed. Repairing turrets through a corner...no, stop it.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Tynan

Quote from: skullywag on March 25, 2016, 01:28:10 PM
Im probably gonna be hated for this, but...

doing anything in diagonal cells should be disallowed. Repairing turrets through a corner...no, stop it.

I agree, I have a note written for this. It's just that it's a bit of a tricky technical problem. But I'll try to do it for A14.

Hiztaar

This is not a "real" exploit but it's a kind of.

Using growing areas to grow flowers in a room without a roof and using this room as a "gate" for the base. When raiders attack. You just need to open the first gate and set the flowers on fire then close the second gate and put a roof to the room. When raiders enter, they will suffer overheating and burn to death.

Easy way to annihilate entire hordes of raiders.

Here is a screen :

"What do you mean, "*They* cut the power ?"

[B18] United States Colonial Marines (Aliens) - All mods

keylocke

yea. the flame room trap is an old exploit.

i think burning pawns or overheating/cold pawns should automatically run outside on instinct, before they start doing their panic dance.