I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

So the exploit would be, if I started shooting at the tile behind the enemy to get more kills =

My shielded melee dude took out a 6 man grenadier squad that way today.
Rushed the one with the triple launcher, and was the only survivor in a six tile radius.
Still downed, but no permanent damage :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Shurp

How to get around "dumb labor":

I just shot up a siege and now there's all this steel lying around.  Erisen refuses to do "dumb labor".  But if I tell her to go build a solar generator she'll happily pick up the steel and haul it back to base.  I just have to remember to cancel the build job when she gets there.  (Someone else can carry it the last 5 feet to the stockpile.)

Too bad I can't think of any way to get her to carry the packaged survival meals instead.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Jstank

Easy Shrup!

Draft Erison and move him to the steel
Start a caravan
Tell Erison to pick up said steel
Redraft Erison
Move Erison to the desired drop off location
Go into Erison's inventory and drop the Steel

That is a big exploit with caravan's right now!
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Perq

Quote from: Jstank on February 08, 2017, 09:00:15 PM
Easy Shrup!

Draft Erison and move him to the steel
Start a caravan
Tell Erison to pick up said steel
Redraft Erison
Move Erison to the desired drop off location
Go into Erison's inventory and drop the Steel

That is a big exploit with caravan's right now!

To be honest, everyone should be able to do hauling. I mean, they can carry stuff when on caravan at all times. Not to mention that when they are building stuff they are hauling.
While it might add some to the flavor of the game (and some silly stories), it causes way too many problems and exploits.
Another problem: pawns carrying things while on Caravan and then holding something in their hands while hauling.
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

ambivalence

Haven't read all the thread, but here's my five pesos.

1. Get some money to buy an artifact, that drives crazy (or downs) anyone on the map.
2. Use it on some wealthy caravan – works especially nice if the pawn has another one artifact + a lot of loot.
3. Yep, the reputation gets worse, but there's enough cookies to sell, so it could be compensated by a bribe.

taha

I did not wanted to post here. Obvious reasons. Eh.

- research ship reactor
- build ship reactor
- build walls around it 1 tile away
- build roof
=>Power under the roof. Like geo power but placed where you want it.

- make killbox
- place firefoams in crossfire area
- throw molotov when raided
=> better than rock chunks and provides no protection for attackers

- place bill for sniper rifle
- wait for >50 work left
- click on unfinished rifle and cancel it
=> crafting training & no material wasted

- surround base with 2 lines of graves
- fire can't burn graves
=> fire proof perimeter

Perq

Quote from: taha on February 09, 2017, 10:52:37 AM
I did not wanted to post here. Obvious reasons. Eh.

- research ship reactor
- build ship reactor
- build walls around it 1 tile away
- build roof
=>Power under the roof. Like geo power but placed where you want it.

- make killbox
- place firefoams in crossfire area
- throw molotov when raided
=> better than rock chunks and provides no protection for attackers

- place bill for sniper rifle
- wait for >50 work left
- click on unfinished rifle and cancel it
=> crafting training & no material wasted

- fire can't burn graves
=> fire proof perimeter

1. Hardly an exploit. Ship reactor is massively overpriced for just energy.
2. Eh, well, I'd call it creative use of mechanics, and not an exploit. Would it work that way, anyways? :P
3. Canceling a project in progress does waste material. Check how much you get back when you do so.
4. This is kind of an exploit since graves don't cost anything. You can do similar thing by covering the ground with concrete (or anything else). Think graves should be able to get overgrown by plants, so these plants can burn. Arguably, full graves should overgrow faster... :V (kind of fertile ground, eh?)
Graves being overgrown could add another thing pawn could do - take care of graves of their beloved ones .-. (these pesky raiders can rot, tho. :V)
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

taha

@Perq Lol, what exactly are you going to use Uranium for? No one builds ships anymore anyway. Our buddy Charles Whitman will take us to Glitword. :P (He even have a van. And cookies.)

Love the "creative use" thingie. Thx.

R3d0gr3

Mass meal production-

-make dispenser blueprint and 3 hopper blueprints side by side
-cancel dispenser and replace with stove, having the middle hopper lined up on the stove's  interaction spot
- build objects and place a 5x5 restriction zone  around  the entire  production area
-invert  restriction and  have  everyone except the cook in this zone
-set bill make simple meal forever/until you have x/, radius very small, drop on floor
-have  a  meal storage  outside production zone (in  cooler/on  chairs with  table)

this abuses the mechanic of a pawn accessing an adjacent hopper to  get material for cooking without  moving

hoppers by themselves can also be used to "override hauling" as  cooking is a higher job priority, to get raw food to critical areas

i personally see it as a "feature" and would like to see hoppers reworked for easier placement

b0rsuk

Quote from: Perq on February 10, 2017, 02:49:45 AM
- fire can't burn graves
=> fire proof perimeter
Or you could just use the Cut Plants order when threatened by fire. But have fun digging your ditches all day!

Shurp

Plants don't grow on graves.  So graves are a *permanent* firebreak, unlike cutting plants which you have to keep cutting.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

b0rsuk

I don't have to keep cutting it. I only have to cut it once in front of the advancing sea of fire. Flashstorm is quite rare, and you can see incendiary mortars coming too.

Anxarcule

You can also just make a single tile of concrete around your base.  1 steel a piece and you are fire-proof.

My exploits:
1.  No need to deal with poison/psychic ships - place 15-20 IED mines around them, shoot the ship, and you have a ton of dead centipedes.  No hassle and lots of platsteel/steel from disassembly at the cost of silver/ai core/ scyther corpses being potentially destroyed in the blast.

Suggestion - any movement in a 2-tile radius of the ship will cause the robots to come out.  This will still allow you set up defenses but get too close and you better be ready...

2.  Popping in and out of doors to deal with manhunters.  They will attack the door but give up after awhile and just wander.  Stronger animals can destroy the doors (even platsteel)

Suggestion - Have animals try to break in a little bit longer each attempt.  If they attack now for 15 seconds after you go in they should attack for 30 seconds.  Won't 100% solve this, but will make it more annoying and less viable to do the pop-in/pop-out strategy.

hwfanatic

You can also just cut the grass and put 2 tiles of chunks on top so they don't grow back. But anyway, back on topic.

SpaceDorf

even more exploity you could just build wooden floor ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.