I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasikabatrachus

i can think of several solutions to that. for starters, fire could be limited in size based on what is burning.

also, i didn't realize a temperature trap would still work with a door open.

RemingtonRyder

If only we could get enemy pawns to play BomberWorld with molotovs. ;)

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

skullywag

Gaesatae

For me it was chickens in the last game I played. It took me about a year to have 200 chickens but when you have so many outside, attackers will target them before colonist or turrets. Not a very smart use of triple rocket launchers by the attackers... Chicken population grows extremely fast, when I sold every chicken I got something like 5000 for all of them. It required a minimal amount of labor and investment for such a huge return in a short time.

I mentioned before some issues with infestations. I think bugs should attack doors in order to kill colonists, now you can shoot, then hide behind a door and repeat until they are dead.

RemingtonRyder

Hmm, you know, bugs wouldn't necessarily need to attack and destroy the door - they could secrete and deposit a sticky resin which slows the opening and closing of the door for a while.

skullywag

Quote from: MarvinKosh on March 26, 2016, 07:16:15 PM
Hmm, you know, bugs wouldn't necessarily need to attack and destroy the door - they could secrete and deposit a sticky resin which slows the opening and closing of the door for a while.

or even more annoying seal the door (lock it to their faction) while they increase in number.

keylocke

Quote from: skullywag on March 26, 2016, 06:29:15 AM
Theyre doing our jobs for us:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18010.0;topicseen

those were internal doors. wouldn't it be easier if you just kept the door open?
also, my internal doors are all made of wood. the only doors i make out of stoneblocks are for the main gate and the prisoner doors (both are auto-stone doors)

anyways. i think there be a restriction to build doors (ie : it can only be built if there are two walls on either side.

Darth Fool

Haven't seen this one mentioned yet so here goes:  It is possible to sell uncollected steel from all over the map just by making a zone where the steel currently is at.  If you delete your in colony zone, you can guarantee that you are selling the distant steel.  This could be resoloved by having to build an unpowered trade statue which would be used by the local traders.  Think of it as a low-tech orbital beacon. 

Tynan

Wow, this thread is very informative! I'm still taking notes here, so please continue to tell me anything that comes up.

Ways to cheese the infestations would be good to know too.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

keylocke

Quote from: Darth Fool on March 27, 2016, 11:45:33 AM
Haven't seen this one mentioned yet so here goes:  It is possible to sell uncollected steel from all over the map just by making a zone where the steel currently is at.  If you delete your in colony zone, you can guarantee that you are selling the distant steel.  This could be resoloved by having to build an unpowered trade statue which would be used by the local traders.  Think of it as a low-tech orbital beacon.

woah, this is a great exploit and it also applies to almost every distant stuff that drops from cargo pods.  :o

RickyMartini

Quote from: Darth Fool on March 27, 2016, 11:45:33 AM

Damn, how did I never realize this? Great way to sell stuff to traders that you never even collected.

Nasikabatrachus

I've never noticed this before because I usually like to build in the center of the map, but I've found that when a raid breaks and flees it will head straight towards the nearest edge of the map even if the path is very dangerous, or if there are plenty of player-built structures between the raiders and the map edge. In my long-term game for the latest build, I got six prisoners from the most recent raid due to this behavior. Very exploitable.

Darth Fool

Another attacking weakness is that when your units are hidden inside, raiders will attack any available door.  The door does not need to lead to anything.  This allows for fake doors to distract raiders on their way to the base and get them to arrive in smaller numbers. 

A related exploit is that when hidden, if you have multiple doors into your base, you can amass all of your troops with melee weapons and wait for isolated enemies to attack a door.  Note that even ranged weapon carrying raiders will enter into melee distance to try and punch open the door.  Granted, if all the raiders tried to enter through one door, there would be an exploit.  Basically, for this one, I think ranged attackers should try and shoot their way through doors/walls from a distance, as long as there are no friendly raiders in the way.

RickyMartini

I suggest moving this one to the public tester forums to get more insights.