I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Mechanoids at the gates ! Turret conduits are partially damaged and two centipedes are exchanging bullets with a single plasteel turret. What to do ?

Turn off the turret power switch. Centipedes will lose interest, walk forward more and get in range of more turrets. Then you turn the power back on. It works even better against Scythers.

b0rsuk

QuoteWe used to be able to wall in friendlies and make them flip - and eventually take all they had at no penalty. Now they like to break walls and tunnel out. BUT! Always check if they got grenades. If they do, they will grenade the walls around, and thus the living hell of one another - and if the trader happens to die, killed by his own people... No penalty and tons of loot :P
http://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/0/359543951706065757/

FalconBR

Poison ships was kind of really hard on the A14.
Then I discovery you can reinstall turrets on this new version!
Now I am redeploying all my 20 turrets around the poison ship before opening fire!

PS: I wish I knew that before I lost my sister and my arm!

rexx1888

^^^ that doesnt sound like an exploit, just good sense?

hwfanatic

Yeah, I mean, you have to go out of your way to do that, and make all the necessary installations, cover them in darkness, and all that, and in the meantime if a raid just so happens at the exact moment, you will be vulnerable.

b0rsuk

When you have an extremely volatile colonist with long lasting negative mood, such as stacked 'rejected proposal', you can wall him in with pemmican. It doesn't matter if he berserks. Caravans can dig out, berserking colonists can't.

newcadence

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 21, 2016, 04:06:38 PM
When you have an extremely volatile colonist with long lasting negative mood, such as stacked 'rejected proposal', you can wall him in with pemmican. It doesn't matter if he berserks. Caravans can dig out, berserking colonists can't.
-snip-
I should do this. Totally inhumane, but so obvious.
For fixing it, maybe add long lasting/permanent social debuffs and mental damage from isolation?

SpaceDorf

Well there is one for being inside too long. I can't remember the name.
You may also get the cramped and ugly environment mood.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

FalconBR

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 17, 2016, 05:37:53 AM
Mechanoids at the gates ! Turret conduits are partially damaged and two centipedes are exchanging bullets with a single plasteel turret. What to do ?

Turn off the turret power switch. Centipedes will lose interest, walk forward more and get in range of more turrets. Then you turn the power back on. It works even better against Scythers.

Thanks for the Tip, I am now doing line controlled turrets from inside my base and it is doing so great that I will stop doing that.

123nick

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 21, 2016, 08:19:29 PM

cabin fever?

bioloid

Instead of power switches, I put a single unconnected power line in range of turrets/light bulbs and tell them to reconnect, so they switch between the unpowered and the powered line instantly.
Possible fix: make reconnection a toggle like job

SpaceDorf

Quote from: 123nick on July 21, 2016, 11:07:45 PM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 21, 2016, 08:19:29 PM

cabin fever?

Yeah :) That one. English is not my native language and sometimes I am just to lazy to look up the translation. Or just can't remember the right words.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Shurp

Quote from: FalconBR on July 21, 2016, 03:51:45 AM
Now I am redeploying all my 20 turrets around the poison ship before opening fire!

That's one long power line!

Hmmm, well *that* is interesting -- batteries can be uninstalled too.  Do they hold their charge in transit?

... testing ...

OH MY GOD!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Jstank

I just realized that you can upsurp the only one pawn per square rule by making a 1x1 animal area and assigning all of your animals to it. Strategic placement of this area can prove disastrous to invaders.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

b0rsuk

Quote from: newcadence on July 21, 2016, 08:08:49 PM
I should do this. Totally inhumane, but so obvious.
For fixing it, maybe add long lasting/permanent social debuffs and mental damage from isolation?
Inhumane ? I walled him in with plenty of food, good bed, chair, table, heating, light (from the heater), and even a horseshoe pin. This way no one in my colony gets maimed or killed. I actually let him out 2 days before the first "rejected proposal" expired because there was a party. By the time the dining room was already beautiful and complete with light and comfortable furniture, and he got to play with Mole's titties to keep his mood up, too.

If I played by game mechanics, I could drop him in a stone cell with just food and heating, and not even a sleeping spot. It would work just as well.

It used to be harder to do, but now pemmican is an easily available food that doesn't spoil. You know what would completely thwart my plan ? If he caught flu! Or infestation, because I later learned that this spot is deep enough.

Also colonists don't need to dig out to thwart this. They just need to fly into rage and start destroying furniture. If he destroyed his heater, I would be forced to open it or watch him get frostbite.