I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Fool

Ok, not the most useful of exploits, but when a colonist is having a "psychotic break-- hiding in room", it is possible to get the colonist to move to any enclosed area simply by laying down a sleeping spot and assigning that spot to the colonist.

Zhentar

Quote from: SimpleMachine88 on September 12, 2016, 07:23:56 PM
Quote from: Zeneth on September 10, 2016, 07:07:56 PM
I'm sure this maybe has been said before, but I can't be bothered to scroll through all 19 pages of this thread, so, I don't really know if this is an exploit, but if you make a room that is 2x1 with a door and a bed inside, colonists will use it as a bedroom and have no mood debuffs from it, thus making actual bedrooms not really useful.

It has, but it needs to be said more.  This is one of the most ridiculous exploits in the game, along with the vent trick, and wiring to use reconnect as a power switch.  Tynan, if you're reading this, I'd list that as answers 1, 2, and 3.

It's really not very much of an exploit at all. A 2x2 bedroom with a single bed works pretty much the same, except that it allows for the possibility of them deciding to pray/meditate in their bedroom (which is as much an advantage as it is a disadvantage). If you don't want the always-present 'impressive bedroom' buffs, then small bedrooms are supposed to work fine.

Dingus

Quote from: Zhentar on September 12, 2016, 09:41:11 PM
I'm sure this maybe has been said before, but I can't be bothered to scroll through all 19 pages of this thread, so, I don't really know if this is an exploit, but if you make a room that is 2x1 with a door and a bed inside, colonists will use it as a bedroom and have no mood debuffs from it, thus making actual bedrooms not really useful.

It has, but it needs to be said more.  This is one of the most ridiculous exploits in the game, along with the vent trick, and wiring to use reconnect as a power switch.  Tynan, if you're reading this, I'd list that as answers 1, 2, and 3.

It's really not very much of an exploit at all. A 2x2 bedroom with a single bed works pretty much the same, except that it allows for the possibility of them deciding to pray/meditate in their bedroom (which is as much an advantage as it is a disadvantage). If you don't want the always-present 'impressive bedroom' buffs, then small bedrooms are supposed to work fine.

I have a screenshot somewhere of a colonist with a "Spacious Interior" mood buff while she was in her 1x2 doored cubby hole with a sleeping spot.
Quote from: Noctis on September 13, 2016, 03:56:44 PM
No rest for the staggeringly ugly and abrasive, I guess.

Britnoth

There is no bug. Colonists mood behaves correctly in small rooms. They suffer from cramped environment mood. They suffer from unimpressive bedroom if greedy, etc etc.

I really wish people would stop repeating this myth every damn day. It is getting old.

EDIT:
QuoteI have a screenshot somewhere of a colonist with a "Spacious Interior" mood buff while she was in her 1x2 doored cubby hole with a sleeping spot.
Yes yes, that also gets repeated every damn day. The fact is:

MOOD DOES NOT UPDATE WHEN ASLEEP. THAT "SPACIOUIS INTERIOR" THOUGHT IS NOT APPLIED. IT HAS NO AFFECT ON MOOD. IT IS NOT A BUG.

Zhentar

Quote from: Dingus on September 13, 2016, 01:18:20 AM
I have a screenshot somewhere of a colonist with a "Spacious Interior" mood buff while she was in her 1x2 doored cubby hole with a sleeping spot.

I can get you that same screenshot with a 2x2 or 3x3 (with the bed on a far wall). Colonists moods slowly shift towards their current surroundings, and all of the parts (except for comfort) are frozen while they sleep.

Wintersdark

Quote from: Britnoth on September 13, 2016, 09:16:58 AM

There is no bug. Colonists mood behaves correctly in small rooms. They suffer from cramped environment mood. They suffer from unimpressive bedroom if greedy, etc etc.

I really wish people would stop repeating this myth every damn day. It is getting old.

EDIT:
QuoteI have a screenshot somewhere of a colonist with a "Spacious Interior" mood buff while she was in her 1x2 doored cubby hole with a sleeping spot.

MOOD DOES NOT UPDATE WHEN ASLEEP. THAT "SPACIOUIS INTERIOR" THOUGHT IS NOT APPLIED. IT HAS NO AFFECT ON MOOD. IT IS NOT A BUG.

Except that in the 1x2 bedroom case, they get the cramped debuff but they are immediately asleep so the debuff doesn't actually do anything (their mood doesn't change while asleep), then when they awaken they are immediately out of their room, so the cramped debuff goes away.

So, in a ridiculous example: Say the Cramped debuff gave you -40 mood.  Colonist goes into his room and directly into his bed; gets -40 mood.  However, that doesn't move the bar - the bar moves over time to the setpoint established by his various modifiers.  But because the bar doesn't move when he's asleep, it doesn't actually move down.  He wakes up, is immediately out of his room, so worst case scenario the mood bar moved down imperceptibly but immediately recovered after he woke up and exited his cubby into a spacious hallway/room.

Aatxe360

Quote from: zandadoum on September 11, 2016, 05:54:08 AM
@aatxe
Sorry, you're just wrong.

1) an artillery shell hits your mountain, which probably is 2000m tall (otherwise it would be a HILL) and you're telling me you, in your cave at the mountain bottom should have rubble falling down?
Why do you thing USA most secure militar facilities are build into mountains? They're ANTI NUCLEAR and you're saying a simple artillery shell from some raiders would make rubble fall down? lol

Installations deep in the mountain is not the edge of the mountain.  They vanish when they hit any part of the overhead mountain including that bit you use for a front porch.  Lrn2comprehend

Aatxe360

Quote from: Britnoth on September 13, 2016, 09:16:58 AM

EDIT:

This is an exploit.  1x2 cubbyholes for sleeping should at least inflict a longer-lasting debuff for sleeping in cramped quarters.

Franklin

I mean it's an exploit of intended behaviour, not an exploit of a bug, we should make it clear. And 'exploit of intended behaviour' should be defined as pushing established gameplay mechanics beyond reasonable scope into a min/max strategy.

So while 1x2 rooms are an "exploit" it's more that they're an "imbalance".

Britnoth

There is no 'cramped sleeping quarters' mood.

So.. how the HELL is it an exploit that a mood penalty is NOT IN THE GAME YET?

These forums make my brain hurt.  :o

carbon

It's probably not worth anyone's time to keep rehashing the same old "is it an exploit vs. isn't it" arguments.

My understanding is this thread should be primarily about reporting new, possible exploits, rather than debating a handful of cases to the point of insanity.

The developers will be the ultimate judge of what is and is not an exploit. If something that isn't an exploit is reported, they're savvy enough to figure that out and ignore it on their own.

Quenching Quel

Not sure if what I'm doing is an exploit or not and if anyone has said this.
Put your beds in a 2x1 space to JK
After encountering three sieges in a row and losing 4 or 5 colonists in total I tried another tactic when approaching a siege event. You know how it is said that when they run out of food or shells they will attack?. Well, instead of using sniper rifles and risk some of my colonists getting hurt I decided to just steal all their food and shells hoping it will trigger an assault on the colony. What actually happened was that the pirates starts to drop more and more supplies for their people on the ground. Using every available colonist to steal their supplies (5-6 at the time) I managed to gain more or less 60 survival package meal and 20? Artillery shell I could've gotten more if one of their drop pods didn't land face first on Azlan's face.
tldr
Steal stuff during sieges when they're asleep to gain top dollar resources

If anyone is interested on the colonies fate, it got it's butt unwillingly fornicated by an infestation. I hate infestations

mumblemumble

Not really an exploit, so much as oversight : Raiders weapons doesn't necessarily match their ability. Brawlers will have  snipers,  people with bad back will have melee gear, and those with little experience in guns will be given harder to use guns. A small check, and giving raiders appropriate gear would really make raids much harder.

Obviously if this is done, numbers for raids should be tweaked
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

night777

Quote from: Darth Fool on September 12, 2016, 07:40:01 PM
Ok, not the most useful of exploits, but when a colonist is having a "psychotic break-- hiding in room", it is possible to get the colonist to move to any enclosed area simply by laying down a sleeping spot and assigning that spot to the colonist.

Wow, huuuuge !

alxddd

if a prisoner goes berserk, you can build a single tile wall on the outside the prison door and they'll stop trying to break down the door. then you just wait out the mental break and deconstruct it when it's over.