I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

Quote from: Shurp on September 19, 2016, 10:22:22 AM
Weird... Seems to me that building a barricade to block in rioting prisoners is a sensible strategy.  The only thing "exploity" is that the prisoners give up. They should be willing to dig at the walls (as traders now do)

I dont think this is exploity. Prisoners have no weapons and often they are even stripped out of clothing, it would be very weird that they could take down a steel door, a steel wall or any kind of wall or dool any other than the wood wall/door.

A berserk colonist in the other hand I can see it taking down any kind of doors after some time... Though I think its weird that being berserk they could take any kind of wall besides the wooden one. I mean, you dont take down a steel/marble/slate wall by headbutting it.

--

About the far insect infestation, I dont see it as an exploit either. Its more like a very random thing. Maybe work out a bit more the conditions to have an infestation, like having at least a 3x3 mined room that doesnt "touches" outside. I mean, that it has to be at least another room to make sure that it is inside the mountain. Something like that.

greggbert

When a poison or psychic ship shows up close to my base and I can't use mortars without wrecking my stuff, I set up turrets and IED around the ship around the ship and then poke it with a sniper rifle.  They all pop out and get killed.

Don't know if its an exploit since I do take a lot of psychic trauma or wilted crops when I set up the turrets and sometimes the aliens blow them up and I lose a bit of steel.

A "fix" to this would be to make the aliens pop out and fight regardless of damage to the ship if a colonist gets within turret range.

EvilMoogle

Quote from: Alenerel on October 12, 2016, 04:16:27 PM
Is the good old "easy entrance" considered an exploit? I mean, creating one "free path" to your base full of traps and directly in front of your guns.

I have watched in some videos that sometimes they sap, but if they dont they will all die easily.

It's an exploit in the sense that raiders should learn "hey this entrance is where all the turrets are, let's try the back door" after a few times.

I would think a possible fix to this would be to add a "cost" layer to the map for other factions that increases when a faction member dies (is injured?) at a location to shift the pathing.  Eventually "through the wall" will be cheaper than "through the big open entrance where everyone always dies."

PieTau

to counter the prison break i put horrible weapons near the prison so when they try to get weapons they are weaker, not stronger.
awful stone shiv : dps 0.48        damage 1   cooldown 125.55
awful stone club: dps 1.23         damage 4    cooldown 219
awful wooden longswords : dps 0.89        damage 2   cooldown 135

i make shivs in the begining, i put club and longswords because of the long cooldown (less eye injury)
if dps is below 1.63 then i have profit

Jimyoda

Quote from: PieTau on October 13, 2016, 11:06:11 AM
to counter the prison break i put horrible weapons near the prison so when they try to get weapons they are weaker, not stronger.
awful stone shiv : dps 0.48        damage 1   cooldown 125.55
awful stone club: dps 1.23         damage 4    cooldown 219
awful wooden longswords : dps 0.89        damage 2   cooldown 135

i make shivs in the begining, i put club and longswords because of the long cooldown (less eye injury)
if dps is below 1.63 then i have profit
Now that's a really great tactic.

To help make the comparison, here are the stats for just a fist (assuming the wiki is accurate).
DPS: 3.28      damage: 6      cooldown: 1.83

Edit: Not sure if that cooldown is supposed to be 183 ticks or 1.83 seconds.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

Wex

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

PieTau

getting extra food and shels from sieges

Procedure:
wait til they are asleep
take the food and the shels
(being carried be colonist counts as not being in base) so when you see drop pots coming down, let the colonist farthest away drop the food/shels and let him take the ones closest to the centre
repeat until they wake up
after enough runs you can have a lot of stacks laying outside there base.
now you can kill them and get the extra loot

i dont now exactly how far you have to bring it so the game thinks it is gone, it is difficult to see edge or centre of the siege camp

Roy

I just found out that you can put sleeping spots on the interaction spots of workbenches to get a free 40% comfort. I get that stools, dining chairs, and armchairs would give the colonist something to sit to improve comfort. But a sleeping spot that you create out of thin air shouldn't do anything, right?

Is this actually an exploit? Now that I think about it, sleeping spots are very weird... They give 40% comfort (vs 0% from sleeping on the ground without sleeping spot), but don't require anything to be build. How does that work?

For the attachments, notice the difference in location of the little white triangle under the comfort bar.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

EvilMoogle

Quote from: Roy on October 20, 2016, 09:08:38 AM
I just found out that you can put sleeping spots on the interaction spots of workbenches to get a free 40% comfort. I get that stools, dining chairs, and armchairs would give the colonist something to sit to improve comfort. But a sleeping spot that you create out of thin air shouldn't do anything, right?

Is this actually an exploit? Now that I think about it, sleeping spots are very weird... They give 40% comfort (vs 0% from sleeping on the ground without sleeping spot), but don't require anything to be build. How does that work?

For the attachments, notice the difference in location of the little white triangle under the comfort bar.

The former sounds like it's clearly a bug.

The latter is probably a case of at least it's a planned place to sleep that's "yours" as opposed to just passing out from exhaustion somewhere.  It would probably make more sense if a sleep spot took a small amount of labor to create even if it doesn't take materials and the comfort it provides should be based off of the type of ground.

PieTau

Quote from: Roy on October 20, 2016, 09:08:38 AM

then why limit with workshop put the entire base full of sleeping spot, they dont slow you down, comfort would never be an isue anymore. for wake-up user it is a real help they get grumpy becuse they can't relax.

Darth Fool

When a colonists has had a mild break pigging out...set a prisoner sleeping spot in your food storage to prevent the thief from raiding your precious food.

Shurp

But then *nobody* can eat.

Hmmm, this would solve my smokeleaf binge problem without having to build a wall.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Zhentar

It won't work for smokeleaf because prison cells don't reserve drugs.

Shurp

Well there ya go, I'll stick to walls then.

(You can do the same thing to your food stockpile if you want to keep Mr. Hungry Hippo out.  Just drop a wall in front of the freezer door.)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

mumblemumble

Not so much an exploit as a pressing issue with raids : raider skill in weapons, and weapons provided  do not seem to scale.

What I mean is, unlike TOWN DEFENSE, a RAID involves CAREFULLY SELECTING several warrior to go and fight. The problem? Often people can come in with barely any skills in combat, destined to die as cannon fodder. I highly doubt a village would send their shop keeper who has almost no combat experience to a fight when others have better qualifications.

Another part of this is high melee people are often given guns, which causes problems too...I very often see people with rifles having 0 shooting, 10 melee. Which means they are an awful shot.

Really, if the raid algorythm was adjusted to mainly use people qualified to fight (one or 2 people  who dont fit, like a cook or doctor would be fitting, but generally they should be at least 4 with whatever weapon they have) and people used the weapons they were better with, you would help the problem of raids = wealth, by reducing wealth coming in without reducing threat (2 guys who are crack shots with rifles are MORE dangerous than 3 who cannot operate the gun, yet 3 guys gives much more reward) and also reducing body counts late game.

And besides this, the balance of this could use tweaking anyways. I feel its kinda an exploit, because certain enemies you just KNOW are low priority, like the 0 shooting with sniper guy, compared to the 10 shooting with an assault rifle guy... if this was changed to make the raid SMALLER, but more skilled, it would be more threatening, but have less loot, and less bodies

EDIT: yes , I know this can be interpreted as off topic, but this would, if solved address multiple issues : Raid power being consistent, Raids providing too much loot, raids having too much gore cleanup, colonies becoming armed too fast, cannibalism being very, VERY easy as a source of food (this isn't awful, but if you get a 30 man raid, that enough meat for a LONG time) certain raiders, and some entire raids (depending on rng) being almost useless, and other issues... Yes, it WILL take re-balancing, but it fixes enough I think its worth it.

---------------

As a separate exploit, traders do not fight maddened animals, which makes it very easy to bait traders into being slain... especially easy with angry thrombos, you can easily call a few dozen trades when one is mad, and have them get obliterated, and make your money more than back.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.