I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossed

Animals always return from caravan trips with their hunger bar at least ~50% filled, even if you just create a caravan to herd them off the map then immediately return. Doing it once in every two days or so will keep them fed without wasting any food on them.

b0rsuk

Quote from: GiantSpaceHamster on March 26, 2017, 04:07:54 PM
When a prisoner goes berzerk, if you can build a wall in front of the door before they break through they will stop trying to break out. Just remove the wall when their mental break is over.

GiantSpaceHamster

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 25, 2017, 11:09:37 AM
Handgrenade exploit

If you have a perimeter wall set up and entrance gates, when a raid comes you can order a colonist or two to spam a chokepoint with grenades. This works especially well with EMP grenades and molotov cocktails, because these deal little or no damage to stone walls.

You can use the same exploit to open ancient danger rooms easily. Breach a single point, spam the breach with EMP grenades, lure mechanoids out with a shielded person.

How is this an exploit and not just strategy?

b0rsuk

Because infinite grenades.

Also, if there's a raid coming you can uninstall your mortars and other objects right before combatants clash to prevent raiders from attacking them.

PetWolverine

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 27, 2017, 04:30:18 PM
Also, if there's a raid coming you can uninstall your mortars and other objects right before combatants clash to prevent raiders from attacking them.

Similarly, I've noticed that if a raid comes while I'm in the middle of adding a layer to my outer wall, the raiders go for the half-constructed wall segments (which have had blocks hauled to them but haven't been built). Canceling construction instantly causes them to come to my killbox instead and prevents the loss of materials from having the walls break.

Greep

Quote from: PetWolverine on March 28, 2017, 06:37:51 PM
Quote from: b0rsuk on March 27, 2017, 04:30:18 PM

Similarly, I've noticed that if a raid comes while I'm in the middle of adding a layer to my outer wall, the raiders go for the half-constructed wall segments (which have had blocks hauled to them but haven't been built). Canceling construction instantly causes them to come to my killbox instead and prevents the loss of materials from having the walls break.

Yup, that's a biggie, I've noticed that as well.  Realistically, anything that is a priority target other than a colonist pawn in a raid is going to be abused to get raiders to act stupid.  And even then... energy shielded pawn decoys and jogger snipers.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Darth Fool

Mini-exploit... If you build your exterior doors of different materials, it is possible to see which doors raiders are going for.  Especially useful if you are also using the raiders-attack-useless-external-doors-to-nowhere exploit to identify which type of raiders will be part of the first wave.

Hans Lemurson

Molotov Cocktails can be thrown through diagonal walls.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Greep

Ancient crypto caskets count as a target for raids apparently.  Making this quite a low effort trap.

Edit: Which in itself reveals the other exploit of infestations not fighting back to snipers.  This scyther is still going at it days later.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

milon

Reminder:

Quote from: Tynan on January 31, 2017, 02:45:23 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. These reports are useful.

I don't think we can fix them all but I'm try to grab the most important and fixable ones.

One note: Please try to only post exploit reports. Please do NOT post:
-Discussions about what is or isn't an exploit
-Ideas to solve exploits or discussions thereof
-Low-effort "me too" posts

Thanks!

Let's keep this thread clean.  Please only post to report an exploit you've noticed.  Anything else will be silently deleted.

Mattk50

Apologies if this has been posted before, i haven't looked through the whole thread and came up with this the other day. This is a modification of the efficient kitchen setup others have came up with, but this one lets you grab cooking materials through walls in order to bypass the low temperature work speed penalty on the stove while still keeping the extreme work speed benefits and the ingredients frozen when the cook is done.

Brief explanation: diagonal walls are airtight keeping the cold in the fridge, you also need to place stools on the 1x1 vegetable and meat stockpiles in the opposite corners or the colonist will not pick up the items through the walls and will properly path around.

carewolf

Sieges will pickup any useful resource on the map, not just the ones they spawn on their own. This means you can build a one square stockpile put steel there, and wait for one enemy to come wandering to pick it up, when you shoot him another one will come wandering.

Darth Fool

I haven't had enough time to test this idea enough to be sure, but it seems to work:  Removing the home zone from your growing zones seems to keep raiders from igniting them on fire.  Has anyone else seen this?

A Friend

You can hugely boost a room's beauty by leaving the floor as soil and planting Daylilies inside. Easily creates impressive rooms without much effort or resources.
I think that flowers should be fully grown first before they create beauty.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

hoffmale

@Mattk50: Couldn't reproduce your kitchen setup in A17 (had to replace the wall between the 2 ingredient stockpiles with a door, which makes that way less exploit-y). What is your setup for the tile the colonist is standing on? If I had to guess, it's a stockpile for meals and a dining chair, but I'm not sure (and that's the only major detail I don't get from your screen shot)