Walls (Hear me out)

Started by Stormkiko, January 28, 2014, 10:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormkiko

I know there have been other talks of walls, and I know people have said there's no reason to put in fortified walls etc. and I agree. Those aren't the walls I'm talking about. I have three ideas and I'll rank them from strongest (Or most I'd like to see) to weakest.

1. Non-conductive walls. Rock walls can be nice, look bad, but be useful as a connection without connecting power grids. Now I know you're probably wondering why I wouldn't want to connect the power grids, and the answer is simple. It's for defensive and conservation purposes. For example, my turrets are hooked up to geothermal so they always have power if I need them, even if there is an eclipse. My town however is on Solar and battteries. This way, if some raiders light my defenses on fire, or say my batteries short circuit right before a raid, I'm not screwed. (It goes further but I'll stop there) The problem is that if I need to build next to my defences, or my defences are on two sides of the town, I have to worry about crossing or making connections.

2: Windows.
I thought of this during a solar flare. Everyone was complaining because they were in the dark, but it was the middle of the day. Perhaps they could let some light through. The other extension of it is letting bullets through and providing cover, which would make town-style defence more fun.

3a: (Friend's idea) He was saying that we need a more defensive wall. His idea was a 2x2 sectioned wall that allows colonists to climb up, offering protection and increased accuracy/range. Perhaps couldn't be placed under a roof, and won't form a roof when closed off. Expensive, but more resistant (Can survive at least one explosion)

3b: Same idea, but stick with just 2x2, don't make it a wall, have it as kind of an outpost/sniper tower. Provides cover, and a bonus to range/accuracy. Can hold one, maybe two people. Expensive to build and needs to be researched.

Jones-250

I do belive that some of these are under Tynans/Ludeons consideration. Windows are a new one, though.

Yup, I heard ya´. I´m supporting this.
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Kuroneko

Speaking of separate power grids, I'd love to have the ability to turn off a battery's ability to discharge. That is, it's still hooked up to the network and will recharge if it needs to. However, it won't output any energy unless I tell it to. That way you can have emergency power that does get depleted accidentally.

Stormkiko

QuoteSpeaking of separate power grids, I'd love to have the ability to turn off a battery's ability to discharge.

Also this. It would be so useful having them still charge, but not discharge. Like in the hydroponics building. half the time I could get but with running them on solar and having the lights only powered during the day, and saving the charge for an eclipse.