Be careful with IED's

Started by Mrred1, September 19, 2015, 07:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrred1

I had a row of IEDS set up outside my base  near my turrets(very bad mistake). Visitors came by and stepped on my traps, leaving a colonist dead and the rest wounded after a chain reaction explosion.
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." ~ Robert Bloch ~

hyperkiller

lol, I always have animals trip my traps seems like

Jamini

I've stopped using IEDs pretty much for that very reason. IEDs and Traps have this distressing tendency to trigger on visitors, eventually making everyone hate you because they cannot watch their own feet.

Nowadays I seed the mountainous walls of my colony with IEDs inside. That way when a sapper tries to dig in they often get a nice present for their efforts.

Facepunch

I tried to trap the entrance to my base, once. Never again. I had IEDs 'nd shit, big raid, they stepped on an IED, blew it up. My marksman was caught in the blast, lost an eye, a arm, almost lost his head, and general damages to several organs. They stepped on a second IED, and the explosion from that also took out one of my colonists. Shrapnel hit him in the head, and brained him. I sent a third colonist around to flank the raiders, while I had a few more basically just pinning them around the entrance, and he stepped on a beartrap and had his head cut off. I won that raid, but wasn't even worth it. Now I just have 3 or 4 snipers sit in a nest, and blast them from a distance.
I use combat realism, too.

NuclearStudent

Quote from: Facepunch on October 05, 2015, 07:43:50 PM
I tried to trap the entrance to my base, once. Never again. I had IEDs 'nd shit, big raid, they stepped on an IED, blew it up. My marksman was caught in the blast, lost an eye, a arm, almost lost his head, and general damages to several organs. They stepped on a second IED, and the explosion from that also took out one of my colonists. Shrapnel hit him in the head, and brained him. I sent a third colonist around to flank the raiders, while I had a few more basically just pinning them around the entrance, and he stepped on a beartrap and had his head cut off. I won that raid, but wasn't even worth it. Now I just have 3 or 4 snipers sit in a nest, and blast them from a distance.

I guess you couldn't BEAR the heartache.  :D

silenced

Quote from: Facepunch on October 05, 2015, 07:43:50 PMNow I just have 3 or 4 snipers sit in a nest, and blast them from a distance.

3 - 4 snipers with 20 in shooting are ... WORTH it.

I lost my fully augmented sniper (both eyes, arms, legs bionic) to a disease, because I always forgot to give him a new 2nd kidney. And without it, it took too long to get immunity, even with proper medication. I felt ... sad ... after that.

Always have spare Organs!
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...

Facepunch

Quote from: silenced on October 09, 2015, 01:21:41 AM
Quote from: Facepunch on October 05, 2015, 07:43:50 PMNow I just have 3 or 4 snipers sit in a nest, and blast them from a distance.

3 - 4 snipers with 20 in shooting are ... WORTH it.

I lost my fully augmented sniper (both eyes, arms, legs bionic) to a disease, because I always forgot to give him a new 2nd kidney. And without it, it took too long to get immunity, even with proper medication. I felt ... sad ... after that.

Always have spare Organs!
Always have at least 1 prisoner, in case you need an organ or something. They're good for that.

catter

Quote from: Facepunch on October 10, 2015, 04:42:02 PM
Always have at least 1 prisoner, in case you need an organ or something. They're good for that.
Ok, I have a saying in my colonies, "Don't hurt the prisoners in any way", I have that saying because prisoners are good for recruitment or for good will. If they break we kill or hurt them, however we don't harvest them because it keeps them from feeling like a spare parts bin. Less chance of breakdown or saying no to a recruitment.

Mrred1

II hope the all mighty Tynan adds different traps and security measures for A13.The only time I use IDS are when sappers are trying to break in. Otherwise, not worth the risk.
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." ~ Robert Bloch ~

mumblemumble

Actually,  giving ieds a radio controlled passive / active toggle used from the comms console would help.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Mrred1

That would actually be really helpful! Like if I put some IED's by my main entrance I could turn them on during a raid and off if my colonists need to get through.