Do you save scum?

Started by MisterVertigo, January 02, 2016, 09:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

What about people who save scum when they dig too far into a hill and sappers break into their base from the other side, killing half the colony before they are driven off?

People have differing tolerances for suffering from their mistakes.  Go with what you enjoy.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Naraku

It varies for me, I'm not nearly as good as some of the people on this forum. Generally speaking I'm a fairly good player in games I want to get better at, thanks to determination. But Rimworld? Not even close, people on here talk about how they get random colonists on ice sheets and somehow manage to live.

I'm sitting here hitting the random button until I get a Sanguine and Too Smart combo, then Jogger on another so they can haul, etc. It's pretty common for me to fail, unless I set myself up with proper colonists.

I've had a lot of bad experiences concerning useless colonists. A good fourth of the colonists I see or end up taking in with the event of an escapee with some, 'bad guys' on their tail end up not being able to do anything but one or two things - which are already fully covered, so I hardly if at all benefit off of them being in the colony.

But toning it down a bit and focusing on the topic, I do save scum occasionally. I probably wouldn't if I were better, but if a certain colonist dies, sometimes it will mean the end of my entire colony period. It sometimes takes me an hour to start up a colony just from hitting the randomize button until I get some colonists that I think are /decent/. Takes too much time of my day to let something so simple happen and force me to do the least entertaining part of this game again.

I used Prepare Carefully but the mod isn't updated yet, and I'm normally a strictly vanilla player, no matter the difficulty. But I felt Prepare Carefully was simply a must, after trying it out a patch ago. I'll never be good at this darn game. T-T